{ROM RELEASE} Project Elite 4.2 Source Frg83D w/Gingerbread parts

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by actngrezy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On the suggestion from danceswithbongs I will repost my problems I had and how I fixed them coming from trying out Gingerbread ROMs and then going back to Froyo.

The original post is here #56: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/project-elite/132273-what-you-4-2-5-0-2-a-6.html#post1375730

I used RSDlite 4.9 (google it, the .rar password is "alabama") and I grabbed the FRG83D .sbf file from Peter Alfonso's site here: Peter Alfonso to go back to stock, but if your SDcard slot is working, you most likely won't have to do this.

Choose the rooting method of your choice and install Rom Manager and Clockwork Recovery. Then format your SDcard and repartion with Rom Manager and install your Froyo ROM (which PE4.2 is the best IMO)..

If you can get PE4.2 installed and working good enough, you should be able to do a format then repartion of the SDcard with Rom Manager and then use the "mount USB" feature in Clockwork Recovery to do the rest and perform a clean install without having to go back to stock. I also don't recommend using and backup programs for restoring your apps going from Gingerbread to Froyo or Froyo to Gingerbread. Do a clean install from the market.

The easiest way I've found to reinstall my apps is to use my computer when the phone is connected to wifi and go to the Android Market here: https://market.android.com/ sign into "My Market Account" and push your apps to your phone.

Hope that helps! :)

//edited to correct the actions in Rom Manager were repartitioning, not formatting.

#877 Rocinante, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. nu2droid

nu2droid Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I already asked this in a theme area, but after thinking about it, I think it would better to post it here.

In 4.2, is there a way to make the app draw background slightly transparent?
    Not completely, maybe 50% or so.
    Any thoughts?

3. Jizzylax

Jizzylax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Install newest Gingerbread PE - Check
    Install newest Gingerbread Liquid - Check
    Install newest Gingerbread SS - Check

Say screw the GB ROMs, revert back to PE4.2 - Check

This ROM just works fantastic, and I always revert back to 4.2. Anyone else experiencing the same?

4. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I said the same thing. Been running 4.2 for a while now. 5.0.2 just couldn't cut it for me, I believe it truly is a build (GB, not just PE) that the OG Droid cannot handle. I've had no problems with 4.2 at all, and using the Honeycomb theme, with the stock 1100 kernel it came with.

5. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    GB sucks. I always find myself going back to Froyo on my phone. Just because I like for all my stuff to work properly...and not lose 3g signal.

Im pretty sure that everyone who says they dont have any problems either doesnt use their phone as much as I do...or are in denial.

6. Jizzylax

Jizzylax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^ :D Well said.

They should resticky this thread IMO and continue Froyo development! I want PE 4.3!!!! :biggrin:

7. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    yeah...Id love to see a PE rom with

FRG83G build
    lockscreen gestures
    phone and messaging/custom application on lockscreen
    chevys new non logging kernels
    and all the other elite options/goodies

Im pretty sick of gb..and unfortunately...thats what just about all are working on.

Im still on UD 2.5. I keep trying all the new GB releases...and they work fine for a little while..then a bunch of weird things start happening (random reboots, major freezes/lagging, phone ringing but screen not turning on so Im unable to answer, 3g is intermittent, not all of my music will play, movies using vplayer are laggy at times)...none of this happens with Froyo. What made my phone so awesome before was that I can put my avi movies on my sdcard and play tons of music, and no lag when I want to use other applications during streaming pandora.

8. Jizzylax

Jizzylax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. Same experience with GB ROMs here too. They work really well for the first day or so, then as I begin to use my phone I realize I'm:

1) Not receiving texts
    2) Not receiving calls
    3) Losing 3G
    4) Having issues with my camera
    5) Having trouble installing apps

Froyo only for me (though I'm sure I will keep backing up my PE install, wiping, flashing new GB ROMs as they are released, then reverting back to PE 4.2).

9. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, love this rom, I'm waiting for gimpsource4 and hoping its great, he seems to be the only person left developing a froyo rom.

The data loss after a call and the gbread swype forced me back to froyo.

10. CruiseFL510

CruiseFL510 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey y'all,

Quick question. I just tried flashing back to 4.2 from 5.0.2 using the tried and true method - wipe 3 times, yada, yada... After restoring the "green" items from TiBu I'm getting force closes everywhere. Is that because they are Gingerbread items now?

How can I go back to 4.2 and still have my current texts and such? I have a nandroid, but I don't want to lose my current texts and call log.

Thanks in advance...

11. ethanhunt123

ethanhunt123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/project-elite/137092-tried-go-5-0-2-4-2-falure.html

12. CruiseFL510

CruiseFL510 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks. So texts and call log would be considered system data?

Basically if I want to revert to 4.2 I have to do a fresh start and lose all my texts, call logs, bookmarks, etc...

Data/settings for other apps should be ok? Like settings in Handcent for example.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Search tags for this page
custom rom ginger elite
elite 4.2
ginger elite 4.2
ginger elite v2 smoothness update
ginger elite v2.zip

ginger elite v4

ginger elite v4 download
gingerelite v4
project elite 4.2 a855
project elite 4.2 froyo base