{ROM RELEASE BETA} PEv6 2.3.3

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by actngrezy, May 11, 2011.

1. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

Please bear with me I'm posting this from my phone on the way to work. Please READ all of the following it's very important information. We will post all credits tonight.

While most who are on this version as of now say it's one of the most solid builds, the reason this is a beta is because there were a few more things that needed to be added (wanted to add) before an initial release and of course as you know, 2.3.4 was released by google. To answer many of your questions the final should be 2.3.4 (hint hint).

Now about the rom. Ok first the libaudio is built from source (credit to the cmcrew), which allows dsp manager to work. This does break a couple of the things such as the bluetooth lady's voice (which says speak now) if you do not use dsp and would like the bluetooth voice to work, we can post an update.zip which will allow this to happen. Be aware, though, that the bluetooth lady fix breaks dsp manager.

2nd, there is an option in the general section which allows you to switch to a preset set of values for lowmemory task killer. The stock values are froyo values but most have reported these are working well with the othe tweaks to help with the infamous apps being killed in gb. If you uncheck the box it will switch number to a lower set of values, which was tested (credit to pete for help with these values). There is also an option in the performance section for purge assest (credit and thanks to the cm team) if you are running low on ram then you can use this option to free some ram up but it may effect the scrolling quality in some apps. I have not noticed a difference while testing in the quality of scrolling.

KERNELS:
    the stock kernel is PE 1ghz lv (default gov is interactive but it does have the smartcpu gov if you'd like that) If the lv does not work below is a 1.1 sv pe kernel. IMPORTANT: As of now there are only a few kernels which have the mods needed to allow usb to mount in this rom. This is due to native tethering being fixed (credit to cvpcs). The pe kernels work, petes v2 kernels, deprimed kernels and corcor has been tweaking his smartmod kernels for p.e (I will post the link when I get home for these). Other kernels will work but you won't be able to mount your sdcard unless in recovery if you use other kernels. Also the rom supports kernels that use zram for compcache not rzSwap. I'll look into making it work with both before a final release.

Overclocking: overclocking no longer needs a reboot to change settings. If you change the speed or governor it now changes instantly so you do not need to reboot.

While there are not a lot of new features in this version we tried hard to inscrease the stability and performance from v5. 14mb to 18mb or space in the system was saved (should help with the themers who them apps which was an issue in v5). There were many many changes behind the scenes to try and improve upon everything that was learned from the inital pe gb release.

One more thing: After you setup your phone and everything syncs, please reboot. I ask this because for some reason every once and a while after first installing, when you make a call you can't hear anything. A reboot will fix this permanently. I'm not sure why this occurs but this is happening in a few other roms as well and it being looked into -- so if this happens just reboot and it won't happen again.

ROM DOWNLOAD
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/test/gb233/PEv6r.zip

Kernels
    PE 1.0 lv (default) (default gov interactive but does include smartcpu) credit to corcorfor help with that
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/final/GB/kernel/PE1ghzLV.zip
    PE 1.1 ghz lv
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/final/GB/kernel/PE1.1LV.zip
    PE 1.1ghz sv
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/final/GB/kernel/PE1.1SV.zip

Corcor Elite Series kernels beta v2
    1.05ghz lv smartmod (pe request speed)
    http://db.tt/Wu51myA
  2. ahol2206

ahol2206 New Member

downloading now

PE roms have DEFINITELY been the most stable on my OG!
  3. jding13

jding13 New Member

First....
    Starting D/L now.

Thanks PE team

*Edit- not first.... story of my life :*(
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Jasko

Jasko New Member

Thanks grezy. Gonna wait to hear the feedback from everyone else before trying out. Keep up the good work though!

^lol
  5. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

Just so everyone knows, PE v6 2.3.3 beta has all of the features that v5 did, but of course, it's the next GB build and it adds a lot of performance optimizations that are noted in actngrezy's OP.

This build has been crazy stable, fast and smooth for me and I haven't experienced any of the GB low memory issues I had on previous GB builds. For me, the stock Froyo memory values (which are set as the default in v6 2.3.3) are far better than the lower values you get when you uncheck the box (in Settings>Elite Settings>General) -- unchecking the box made things laggy and choppy for me, but YMMV. I also have the "Allow purging of assets" (in Settings>Elite Settings>Performance>Performance Optimizations) checked.

I came from PEv5.0.2 and wiped all partitions and Dalvik cache and started clean for this build, but before I did that, I used Titanium Backup to install the busybox preferred by TiBu, then made a TiBu backup of everything. After that, I did my nandroid backup and loaded the ROM. After I booted back up, I once again used TiBu to install busybox and I was able to do a TiBu restore of all apps and data and the data for system items in green (following the steps in my guide) and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Again, this may not hold true if you're coming from any ROM other than PE v5.0.2 and it's possible you won't have the same experience I did in any event.

One more thing: If you absolutely feel you have to use one of the kernels not listed in the OP as having the USB fix, you won't be able to mount your USB storage using the pulldown panel, but I found in testing that you CAN do so using Dual Mount SD Share Widget (which I ALWAYS use anyway, because it allows my Droid to continue to use everything on the sdcard while I'm exploring all of the sdcard contents on my PC).
  6. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

This rom is working really well for me. I do request the update zip that will restore the plastic lady's voice to the bluetooth voice control. I haven't had a need for dsp, but I do use BT quite a bit in the car.
  7. badtoy1986

badtoy1986 Member

Sweet Jesus it's here. Thanks!
  8. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

I chose the bluetooth lady over DSP Manager, as well. It's simply a matter of switching out the libaudiopolicy.so file in /system/lib. If you want to get yours working before actngrezy has a chance to post the update zip, you can extract the file in the attached zip labeled libaudiopolicy.so.zip (this is NOT an update zip) and, using Root Explorer, replace the file of the same name in /system/lib.

UPDATE: At actngrezy's request, I'm also attaching an update zip (the one labeled BlueToothLadyUpdateZip) that will do the same thing -- install from recovery without wiping. And, whichever method you use, it's always a good idea to make a backup first!!

[EDIT: FILES PULLED -- explanation in post #23 below]
  9. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

I might not switch to it yet, I'm speeding along with liquid. HOWEVER I have been wanting someone to make a reboot unneccesary after changing clocking. THANK YOU! :)
  10. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

GLD - Thanks for the libaudiopolicy.so.zip. I was able to extract the file with Windows Explorer. I initially tried 7zip and received an 'unsupported compression method' error and it wouldn't extract. That shocked me since 7zip seemed to support everything.

Is there any way to benchmark v6 compared to v4.2? I don't see any performance improvements over v4.2, and am still concerned that froyo still seems to be the best core for original Droids. Everything just worked perfectly for me on v4.2. I love that the PE team is trying to make GB work as well as Froyo and appreciate all their hard work as well as testers like you who put these roms through their paces. Your tutorials and tips have been useful and important to the success of the PE roms.
  11. Jasko

Jasko New Member

I wanted to see if there were still the typical GB camera issues in this new beta?

IE: Forcecloses when taking a lot of pictures, choppy video recordings?
  12. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

It's weird that you couldn't extract with 7zip. After I saw your post, I DLd the file from DF, so I would get it exactly the same way you did, and 7zip opened the archive, no problem.
  13. regkilla

regkilla New Member

This is great!
  14. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

As I understand it, choppy recording has been around for some time now, pre- and post-GB, at high clock speeds. I just tested video recording at a clock speed of 600Mhz, which I believe is recommended for video recording and playback, and it was smooth as butter. With the new feature in V6 2.3.3, you can change clock speeds without SetCPU and without a reboot, so it's really not a big deal.

No FCs with camera at all for me.
  15. Alastrionia

Alastrionia Sourcery Themer / Designr Theme Developer Premium Member

Been running this for a few days myself and absolutely loving it.
    Already working on theming it - which as always is a blast :D

Phone calls - rock solid
    3G - never an issue now
    Stock kernel - works fantastic (personally I see no real need for another)
    temps - run very cool for me (avg 70F-85F with light use, pushes 100F with ultra heavy use)

Someone had wanted benchmarking done between V6 and V4.2
    not sure what kind you want. Quadrant doesn't really do much anymore.

To me, my phone is snappier, faster loading apps, switching between apps
    Switching between audio , phone calls , web browsing is just about flawless

my camera takes pictures as fast as I can snap them and not a hiccup to be found. haven't done video yet myself so can't say on that.

overall, best product out there. your D1 will truly love you for it :D
  16. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

I used it over the weekend and took 40+ photos, no fcs. Like gld said, clock down and video is flawless.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  17. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

Been running this for a few days. I was previously on PEv4.2 and this is a definitely running better IMO, and I haven't noticed any issues that were plaguing PEv5.2.

I have no complaints and look forward to any themes that will be released. lol I'm hoping to see a port from Pistol Pete soon (I love the HC look).

Great job to everyone involved with this newest built, you're the best! dancedroid
  18. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

Maybe this should have been a final instead of beta :) thanks for the comments so far. Glad to see gb is working our pretty good for a lot of you.
    There was just a few more things that coulda havebeen added before release but I guess this will do for a little while until those final touches are in.(hopefully lol)
  19. speedfreeq

speedfreeq New Member

Can we restore data with apps going from 5.0.2 to v6? Both GB, so should be OK, right?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  20. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

See post #5 above. I did with TiBu, but I used the TiBu busybox for the backup and then installed the TiBu busybox again after the ROM install, for the restore.
Search tags for this page

2.3 elite beta

download project elita beta