ROM Politics?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by schoolbwoy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. schoolbwoy

schoolbwoy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can people help me to understand why in my opinion there is so much resistance to the BB roms by other android developers etc...). Are there politics behind rom development?

2. speedfreeq

speedfreeq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not with a ten foot pole...

-from my 1.1 GHz PEv4 Droid

3. rollingrock

rollingrock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what am I missing there?

Glad I am new and naive to the whole Android OS.

Can I ask two questions. (that was 1 :) ) What is a BB Rom?

Are you saying a BlackBerry Rom?

4. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same reason people root for sports teams.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    BB is short for Bugless Beast -

...for the O/P it is difficult for someone else to help you understand your own opinion, all the ROM Developers and Themers in the Community do awesome work and we are not going to get into a discussion of any kind concerning politics or the like of this ROM v/s that ROM or this Dev v/s that Dev -

6. DHO

DHO Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Great question no easy answer.
    You would need to poll the devs and hope for honest answers.

Based on the other ROMs i have tried BB is simply the best, so I don't care about the politics, the results speak for themselves. But that's my opinion and each user of every other ROM probably thinks the same,... yep no answers from me.

7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Basically what I see (or perceive) happening is a RELEASE starts getting rave reviews and it seems like all the users who have other ROMS as a favorite will come to the site getting good reviews on a release and rag on the ROM.
    Doesn't matter which ROM it is... if you follow the treads of the various developers you will find that this cycle goes on and on moving from one ROM to another in a cycle.

I have a lot of varied interests and visit a lot of different forums and it's all the same no matter the topic.

What it all boils down to is everyone wants to be/have the best so they will beat down anyone who thinks another ROM, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, Skis, Board, Etc, Etc, Etc is just as good or heaven forbid... Better (gasp!)

8. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    in a nutshell, ROMS have fanboys too, who think they will somehow be rewarded or are smarter then everyone else because they run a particular ROM

9. schoolbwoy

schoolbwoy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for the honest and respectful opinions on an apparently touchy subject. Glad to see that these topics can be discussed without the need for censure; besides how will we ever get along?

The impetus for my op came from another thread in where someone was flamed for referring one very popular rom and in the same sentence advertised another rom. It seemed curious to me. I am a relative outsider to the community and am trying to understand some of the things I notice that make a bunch of brilliant and EXTREMELY GENEROUS guys and girls act lesser than their better selves........but maybe its their fanboys!...lol

10. schoolbwoy

schoolbwoy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So obvious when that's getting done.....it actually makes me want to totally avoid those ROMS....remember in the drought bw BB 4 and 5 (I think) I held on because of all the hate. BB was getting....

11. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bingo. Fanboys are everywhere. It's not just Android versus iPhone. Anything with a brand/name has fanboys whether it's smartphones, sports teams, political parties, automobiles, etc etc. Some people are very irrational when it comes to brand/name loyalty. I don't get it myself. I use what works for me and what works for me definitely changes over time. Life's too short to limit yourself in ways that cause you to miss out on things IMO.

12. alquix

alquix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    fanboys are one problem, but one issue I've seen between developers in the past (distant past) is not giving credit where credit is due on some features. basically, some of those little parenthesis next to features were missing, i.e. (credit to pete) (credit to cyanogen).
    pete goes so far as to give "credit to ?" when he doesn't know exactly who is responsible for the feature, so that he doesn't appear to claim responsibility for it's creation.