Rom or Theme?

quadjacks

Reaction score
I Have noticed a few "Rom's" coming out for Droid X which is essentially still under lock and key. My question is, how can these then be Roms and not merely themes? It's that a little misleading?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
there arent any "full" roms out yet, so to speak. the kernel is locked down.

i really dont consider deodexing and removing stock apps a rom but some guys do..

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
It requires a lot more work, and completely replacing the kernel isn't happening with the locked bootloader, but you can still apply roms.

Give it time. Obsidian is coming :)

Sent from my Droid

OP
quadjacks

quadjacks

Reaction score
there arent any "full" roms out yet, so to speak. the kernel is locked down.

i really dont consider deodexing and removing stock apps a rom but some guys do..
So you're saying, without the ability of getting to the kernel, essentially the phone remains unchanged except for ascetics?

OP
quadjacks

quadjacks

Reaction score
It requires a lot more work, and completely replacing the kernel isn't happening with the locked bootloader, but you can still apply roms.

Sent from my Droid
That my question though, you say Roms, but in essence their only extravagant themes.

Dont get me wrong, I truly can appreciate the time and effort spent and in no way am I attempting to downplay that. Just want clarity:).

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid
That my question though, you say Roms, but in essence their only extravagant themes.

Dont get me wrong, I truly can appreciate the time and effort spent and in no way am I attempting to downplay that. Just want clarity:).

Most roms use the stock theme, so no theme really.. the thing about roms is the features they come with.

Sent from my Droid