Rom noob question

Marius1

Reaction score
I've been using rooted DX for several months now and loving it. I'm thinking about taking the next step to install a custom ROM, and have been reading lots of threads on it. Before I flash a ROM, I'd like to find out if it's worth doing at all based on my needs:

1) I don't care about aesthetics at all. I care about performance, reliability , functionality and ease of use. So I don't need pretty themes or anything like that.
2) I don't use any real launchers. I use Quickdesk as my launcher and just use that single screen to launch all my apps. I'd like to continue doing this.
3) I'd like to continue use Widgetlocker as my lock screen.

Based on the data above, should I take the plunge? Or is it a waste of time?

thanks

Desicrator

Reaction score
What you have put I believe just screams rubiX, speed reliability and I experienced great battery life. I am running Fission but am having some stability stuff and personally I don't thing the battery life is as good, but other people have had different experences, I use Launcher Pro and have never even heard of Quick Desk sorry, ( always been a ADW or LP guy:)). but I would assume there would be Zero Problems.

Desicrator

Reaction score
also It is defiantly not a waste of time lol, there are HUGE speed gains, just be sure to flash the ROM following the Instructions. Just be careful you will could lose some sleep :) I do whenever there Is a new update playing with my phone. :)

chefb

Reaction score
Hello from the inside. Speaking as a person who has just crossed over I give you this one word of advice........ Caution!!!! READ and read some more.... then think to your self "am I comfortable with disassembling my phone"..........that being said I've done it twice(meaning dissassembled my phone) and would do it again. Now I've learned alot, and I'm not lookin back. So I say to you....... do it ,but know what you are doing ....and don't be chicken **** .

Desicrator

Reaction score
Caution!!!! READ and read some more.... then think to your self "am I comfortable with disassembling my phone"..........that being said I've done it twice(meaning dissassembled my phone) and would do it again. Now I've learned alot, and I'm not lookin back. So I say to you....... do it ,but know what you are doing .....

Disassembled you phone? What?

But I will agree def become as educated as possible.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
M

Marius1

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info guys. One more question. I'd like to be able to install new OTA firmware when it comes out. Will I have to revert to original OTA version before installing new OTA? I'd assume I'd have to use ROM Manager to restore from backup?

Desicrator

Reaction score
If your rooted the vzw ota will not play nice with it, and it will make it harder to re-root, when the ota unroots your phone. But in the roms the makers keep the features of the new OTAS up to date with in the rom, even including some leaked features.

OP
M

Marius1

Reaction score
thanks guys. I have the latest Apex and loving it. For 2.2.1 OTA, I'm assuming I can go back to my nandroid backup and install the update then.

Reaction score
For the ota i would just backup all your data to the sd card and then do a full sbf, then apply. The new Apex does rock tho, blows tranquility out of the water IMO and is a serious contender for top rom out there. For me, it is down to this and the new darkslide 3.3 when it comes out. That is another great rom and you can run the current version since you are not on the leak. Might want to check that one out over at mydroidworld.