[ROM] MIUI.us-Sholes-1.8.26.0 [DEV]

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
+ 1 Mags
That's just saying whatever Mags says or has said or will say is automatically plus oned. You can keep score at home. Just cut out and use the scoreboard provided on the back of any box of Count Chocula!
I am sponsored by Big G Cereals as I am a perennial favorite, when competing in The World Wide Sloth Open.
ESPN should have its fantasy web page up. Inside draft info: I am good.

Mags the mention of losing root or su rights is an oddity I have dealt with in MIUI, but it's been a while.
I have always wondered if part of the problem is the odd superuser apk and all that does or doesn't come with it.

Everything always was easily remedied, but I have never understood the underlying reasons for this superuser apk rather than the one we all know. Especially now that Chains has been doing a lot of changes and tweaks.
Question, would you see any issues arising from installing the latest su beta apk and binary?

I have seen the following and include the remedy. All are rare.

Sometimes you can lose the su binary. Reboot should fix. Otherwise pull from bin folder of rom update zip and paste the binary su in bin folder and change permission and owners to fit those of other files there. Make sure you are replicating the choices from a file that actually has data, basically find one registering a size as long as it's above zero.

Another is losing root or certain apps aren't seeing you're rooted. Try a Reboot. If not fixed, do the following, go to manage applications and find superuser apk in the all column. Open, force stop clear data and cache and reboot. This will cause you to ok su privileges again for each app as you go and it should be fine.

I have never had it reoccur after fixing, but that could be due to weekly updates, being awesome or our most popular answer on the board, survey says.... Dumb luck.

Mags I would be interested on any info you can share regarding the su apk, although I understand if you are unable due to it being an "ancient Chinese secret".

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I didn't consider anyone updating superuser, but yes that would definitely cause problems. On most roms (especially since almost all roms are now based on cm7 aosp) updating superuser will not cause a problem because the way it works stays fundamentally the same.

CM7 has moved to add more control over what apps you allow to have root access and for what. CM7 has done this by implementing new settings options.

MIUI has decided to implement a similar feature, but instead of adding settings options like CM7, they built it into superuser. Therefore the MIUI superuser.apk and su binary files cannot be updated or replaced w/ non-MIUI versions. Why did MIUI do it this way? I have no idea. If you try to replace su or SuperUser.apk with a version from another rom, no app will be able to get root access. The only time I ever lost root access was when MIUI first changed the superuser (6.24 or 7.x ? can't remember) and I was pulling the su binary from CM7.

If you do a normal flash, wiping /cache and dalvik-cache (and not flashing anything else or changing anything else) and you don't have root, I am at a loss. I have no idea what the issue could be and the only thing I can recommend is reflashing.

If you regularly add mods, change kernels, etc, I would suggest doing a normal flash and verify everything works correctly. Then add 1 modification at a time, verifying that the modification didn't mess anything up. Just because something worked last week, it doesn't mean it will work this week. If you didn't verify it worked before you added said mod, I would ask that you reflash stock and see if the issue goes away. Either way you can report the bug, but you can give more details as to what did or did not cause the issue.

Last edited:

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
I have been saying it all along Mags. That's your whole problem, you never consider anyone... Sheesh!

I mean really, really, so self absorbed and inconsiderate!

Let me ask you, was it considerate of you to take over porting miui for our OGs?

Was it considerate ,sir, of you to put up some gol durn link that would allow us to download your hard work and flash it for ourselves?

And could kindly tell me, is it considerate that you are always giving help and assistance to those in need who can do you no benefit whatsoever?

Lastly, could you please explain what considerate means, I just want to make sure I am using it correctly while justifiably attacking you!

Back to our regularly scheduled post already in progress :

I hope I didn't give the impression that the problems occurred when using non MIUI superuser.
Also I don't think I have had any su issues as of GB. But one time on a froyo miui my su binary literally disappeared. I flashed the binary via update zip from prior nandroid.

danceswithbongs

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This build my WiFi won't connect at all with any kernel except the packaged one. Tried several kernel, same results. Shows 'error' under WiFi settings

Not sure what is being so picky about your wifi. I have looked through the logs you have sent me and it seems that your phone is asking for dhcp renewal and it always fails. I have seen some bug reports for CM7 with the same issue (although they are older reports?), so it may be when I updated my CM7 files or it could be when MIUI updated their sources for 2.3.5. It seems to require a matching of phone and router (dhcp server) for the bug to happen.

Does the wifi have the same issue at multiple wifi connections? Is it only your home wifi that causes issues? Can you test another wifi connection?

Can you try out the current CM7 nightly and see if the issue goes away?

As far as why wifi doesn't work for any other kernel, thats a new one.

chewy74

Reaction score
Well,I have a static IP setup for my phone on my router. I haven't tried cm7 but I recently tried simply stunning 5.5 and that's 2.3.5 and experienced the same drop and reconnect.

I will try connecting to my works wifi tomorrow and see if it will replicate.

I restored back to 1.7.15 and wifi is fine without a single disconnect. So I think you're right about whatever change in code 2.3.5 breaking my connection.

I will report back. Thanks

Not sure what is being so picky about your wifi. I have looked through the logs you have sent me and it seems that your phone is asking for dhcp renewal and it always fails. I have seen some bug reports for CM7 with the same issue (although they are older reports?), so it may be when I updated my CM7 files or it could be when MIUI updated their sources for 2.3.5. It seems to require a matching of phone and router (dhcp server) for the bug to happen.

Does the wifi have the same issue at multiple wifi connections? Is it only your home wifi that causes issues? Can you test another wifi connection?

Can you try out the current CM7 nightly and see if the issue goes away?

As far as why wifi doesn't work for any other kernel, thats a new one.

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well,I have a static IP setup for my phone on my router. I haven't tried cm7 but I recently tried simply stunning 5.5 and that's 2.3.5 and experienced the same drop and reconnect. I will try connecting to my works wifi tomorrow and see if it will replicate. I restored back to 1.7.15 and wifi is fine without a single disconnect. So I think you're right about whatever change in code 2.3.5 breaking my connection. I will report back. Thanks
Well that is bad news / good news. My guess is CM7 will perform the same. But what you may be able to to do is configure your router to lease the ip (or refresh the dhcp) at shorter intervals to fix the issue. From what I have read, if you can change the lease time to less than 30 min on the router, it may fix the issue. Seems kind of a pain to do, but it may work.

cu_shane

Reaction score
For those of you having trouble with getting a2sd command not found, first, make sure you are root when running the command (su to get root). If that does not fix the problem, then try typing this (as root) "ln -s /system/xbin/bash /system/bin/bash" After you do that, try running a2sd again. This link should be created on install, but maybe something happened and it got skipped?

I didn't have any problems getting root from terminal emulator and I ran the ln command. Unfortunately, none of this worked from me. Running fix_permissions also returns not found. I was able to run fix permissions from Rom Manager, but that didn't change anything.

cowsquad

Reaction score
I'm having a weird issue. Airplane mode toggle is switching on randombly leaving me without service. Is hella weird issue

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cu_shane

Reaction score
Is a2sd enabled by default w/o having to configure it? I ask because I decided to give up and use link2sd but it is telling me it can't use the ext2 partition because the resource is busy.

If I go to menu> settings > system > sd card settings, under A2SD+ it says Total Space = 458MB and Available Space = 426MB. So 32 MB is being used for something! If it does turn on by default will it automatically move apps and the dalvik cache to the SD?

cu_shane

Reaction score
I didn't have any problems getting root from terminal emulator and I ran the ln command. Unfortunately, none of this worked from me. Running fix_permissions also returns not found. I was able to run fix permissions from Rom Manager, but that didn't change anything.

FYI - I flashed miuiandroid.com's 8.19 build to see if I could getting working with their setup. No dice...same symptoms.

chewy74

Reaction score
this would (or could) possibly return to me a different ip address forcing me to reconfigure all devices connected to my home network correct?

Well that is bad news / good news. My guess is CM7 will perform the same. But what you may be able to to do is configure your router to lease the ip (or refresh the dhcp) at shorter intervals to fix the issue. From what I have read, if you can change the lease time to less than 30 min on the router, it may fix the issue. Seems kind of a pain to do, but it may work.

chewy74

Reaction score
i also found this and its very simialr to whats happening to my d1

Issue 4062 - cyanogenmod - DHCP renewal premature and failing on wifi - CyanogenMod Android ROM - Google Project Hosting

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
cu_shane
You need to install an ext module first before you can mount the partition. If you use link2sd I assume you know what to do. If not, go to the thread link on link2sd market page.
First Page or 2nd has how to run insmod commands.

Chewy
I am a man of little knowledge, but I wonder if you went from static to dynamic if that may be the hookarino. Plus can anyone honestly say that static sounds better than dynamic?
Well the people have spoken. Regardless if it won't work or destroys all electronics in a 3 mile radius due to its ginormous EMP, it sounds cooler! That's just cold hard data based straight on gut feelings.
But maybe it could work?

Bottom line, I want you on this build chewchew! It's running pretty amazing, Mags obviously outsourced the porting on this one. :eek:
Kidding, Mags, you inconsiderate son of a business.

I just hope you can figure it out, because I can imagine it has gone way past annoying, and pulled straight into danceswithbongs territory!
Can somebody help a brother out, get this man 10ccs of Wifi, stat!

danceswithbongs

mjh68

Reaction score
I am not sure what is happening, but regardless of the browser I use it force closes without warning after oh probably a minute or so browsing. I am on Miui.us. build 1.8.26.0 , haven't changed anything , but unable to use browser for more than a minute. Apps that access the internet such as Droidforums, FML , etc.. work properly and don't hang or force close. I have tried unsupercharging , running a few different scripts, tried disabling swap etc.. same results.

As far as a2sd, yes I was running as Superuser typing su first and was in the # prompt when attempting to run command. I will try your other suggestions regarding the bash script and rerun to see if that is successful.
Appreciate the help everyone and thank you for attempting to help with these issues since they don't seem to involve very many other users.

chewy74

Reaction score
DWB

I could try to release the phones IP to see what happens...yeah its gotten to me just using 1.8.26 to trouble shoot and 1.7.15 as my normal use rom. Even at its buggiest 7.15 has ran better than any of the last 2 builds

cu_shane
You need to install an ext module first before you can mount the partition. If you use link2sd I assume you know what to do. If not, go to the thread link on link2sd market page.
First Page or 2nd has how to run insmod commands.

Chewy
I am a man of little knowledge, but I wonder if you went from static to dynamic if that may be the hookarino. Plus can anyone honestly say that static sounds better than dynamic?
Well the people have spoken. Regardless if it won't work or destroys all electronics in a 3 mile radius due to its ginormous EMP, it sounds cooler! That's just cold hard data based straight on gut feelings.
But maybe it could work?

Bottom line, I want you on this build chewchew! It's running pretty amazing, Mags obviously outsourced the porting on this one. :eek:
Kidding, Mags, you inconsiderate son of a business.

I just hope you can figure it out, because I can imagine it has gone way past annoying, and pulled straight into danceswithbongs territory!
Can somebody help a brother out, get this man 10ccs of Wifi, stat!

danceswithbongs