[ROM] MIUI.us-Sholes-1.8.26.0 [DEV]

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a rom issue or boot manager issue but when I flash chevyno1's 1100 MHz mv kernel, I get suck at the M. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

1FZFE

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a rom issue or boot manager issue but when I flash chevyno1's 1100 MHz mv kernel, I get suck at the M. Anyone else have this problem?

Clear cache and dalvik cache and try flashing again. Your phone might not like the combination.

1FZFE

Reaction score
I have never played with the heap. How would you go about tweaking that?

I used the VM heap tool from the market as suggested by groovydeus. Usually there is an option built into the ROM that allows you to do this as well as many more performance tweaks, such as Cyanogenmod tools or Chevy1 tools, but MIUI doesn't have this.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clear cache and dalvik cache and try flashing again. Your phone might not like the combination.

Yeah, tried 3x but still won't go, works without Chevy's kernel but way too sluggish. The kernel has worked fine for any other rom I've ever flashed though. So maybe MIUI + Chevy's kernel =0?

cu_shane

Reaction score
INSTALLATION (only if currently running version 1.8.19 or later with CWM or RZR Recovery)

1. NANDROID BACKUP!
  2. Run Updater app (Thats it!)
  3. If apps do not show up after initial flash, rebooting should make them reappear
  4. If you run into problems, lots of FC, reinstall with wiping data / factory reset

Updater didn't work for me. It would download the update and then reboot into recovery and then nothing. I found the update in the miui/downloaded_roms folder and flashed it myself. Any idea what when wrong?

Reaction score
Hey Magiman, could you please elaborate more on the swap and options for it...as to what they actually do? (more ram or whatever) is compcache working from boot? I mean whatever was tweaked starting with last build, ran the best it ever has and i didn't do anything after install, but if i can possibly make it run even better....i'm very much interested! THANK YOU

UPDATE: nevermind found your post on MIUI.US!

Last edited:
OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Still the same 2 issues for me. Wifi drop and reconnect and native browser fc trying to import bookmarks ________________________You had me at herro
Chewy, I am still going through your wifi logs. I think the issue w/ importing bookmarks is that you are trying to import bookmarks in a file format that the miui browser does not support. I think it can only import bookmarks that were previously exported with miui browser.

DavMar

Reaction score
Now running Chevy 1.2 low kernel... along with launcher pro... fast and all seems fine so far.

ohcop72

Reaction score
I tried the updater, boot-loop then tried to download wipe and fresh install several times still boot loop, I loved MIUI since beginning to use it recently. Flashed SS-5.5 until next update then I will try again.

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Everytime I try to run a2sd command it just says a2sd not found ?
Are you sure you are running the latest build? On terminal or adb shell, you can go to /system/bin and look for file called a2sd. It should be there. Not sure why it is saying command not found.

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
so...I have been playing with MIUI since, what, last October? Well, I had some time off yesterday from work (and wife and kids) and decided to do a study on kernels, speeds and voltages (the results of which are not important as each d1 seems to have different preferences). Anyhow - what I did stumble on is that my droid HATES a large VM Heap size. It seems that there is a movement to go with larger heap sizes as this 'seems' to make larger apps, such as big games, work faster. This obviously works well for devices with larger memories (512) but for the d1, particularly if you are running multiple apps and background processes...this seems counterproductive. For kicks I tested heap sizes of 24m, 32, 40 and 48m and then benchmarked using linpack and quadrant as well as running (the same) programs and just getting an overall feel for the devices responsiveness. Note: I use this phone for work and with the exception of solitare, rummy and jewels do not do any heavy gaming on my phone.I did benchmark significantly higher with 24m heap size - but more importantly my d1 no longer lags to any degree and actually benchmarks faster than both the last froyo miui build and petes last froyo build. Is there anyone else out there that could validate what I am seeing? Thanks, and by the way...thanks Magi - I am really enjoying this build. Not seeing the WiFi issue.I used VM Heap Tool to adjust, and would like to know if anyone else has played with this and what your results/feelings are with how it alters performance.
Thanks for passing on info. I may look at lowering heap to 32 mb for next week. BTW, what swap option are you using?

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Okay read your post on the swap option but im still kinda confused as to what is the difference is between the default swap (at boot) and swap file if i wanted to run that?
The idea behind swap is to create space for files to be cached so they can be quickly accessed. It is sort of like RAM, but much slower, so it isn't a perfect replacement. It does allow more memory to be used by apps in the background so they do not get killed by android os. In android, swap is not used by default. There are a couple ways it can be implemented. One way is to create a file that is used to save all this cached data. That is what is created with the option 'file'. It creates a file on the /cache partition of the phone. The other way swap can be used is with compcache. This compresses the ram so that there is more space available. The extra space in ram created by compression is converted into a virtual swap space. Compcache can be started on boot by using the 'compcache' option with swap. The default option on boot from a fresh install will be set to 'none', as in there will be no swap file and compcache will not be used. I have had good performance with using no swap for most activities. If you do a lot of multitasking or use bigger apps / games, you will probably want to enable one or both of them.