[ROM] MinimalX

tarnishedhalo

Reaction score
Excellent work! Thanks for putting your time into this its given me faith that our collective patience will be rewarded.

Reaction score
Ok, first bug report coming up. It ran very nicely with no wipe. No loss to my Quadrant scores. The deal breaker for me is that gmail and corporate email are not functional. The activesync apk is there and blur email, but tapping the icon in the messaging app just dumps me back to my home screen. I like the stripped down rom but I have to have my corporate email or it's no good for me. Others may not need it. For a stock rom with no bells n whistles its almost golden. Fine tune it, de-odex it, fix the email. thumbs up for the effort

zakth

Reaction score
Backed-up, cleared cache, data and delvik. Install was quick and painless. Phone seems very responsive after the inital "one-run" stuff is done. However my contact's opens randomly even when the phone is not being used and I cannot use the back button to close the contacts - instead I have to press the home button.

Edit: After installing V6 and SD Speed the problem with contacts randomly opening went away. I assume I just needed to reboot and that it had nothing to do with the mem mods. Everything works as expected as far as I have tested. Great work!

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Problems I've Noticed Is That The Regular Browser Sometimes Doesn't Download Having To Use Skyfire. Touching To Enter A URL Link In Any Browser Automatically Kills The Browser. Disappointed You Removed The Stock Calendar.(Able To Restore W/Root Explorer The Blur APKs And Odex Files Changing Permissions)

Will Keep Adding To This Post As Things Arise.

Downloading Google Search Resolved The Browsers Instantly Closing Out When Trying To Type A URL.

Erock13

Reaction score
Sweet.. Been screwin around and ended up bootlooping my phone, sbf'd for the first time with the x2, and while waiting i see this.. Perfect opportunity.. :)

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have installed... I tested without a wipe to give feedback from this perspective. Currently it looks to have dropped my quadrant score quite a bit, but overall seems much more responsive... I ended up with a score on antutu of 4610. I have no idea how this correlates to quadrant but it lost about 500 points from my quadrant score.

None the less I have had zero issues thus far with this update! Thanks for this beta rom C21!

Update after changing some settings I got back to within 100 of my previous quadrant score! Great initial rom release!

Thanks for flashing. I'm glad that it has added to overall responsiveness of your device. I also apologize for the decrease in quadrant score. Quadrant is very finicky at times, which confuses me as to why it is so popular. I trust AnTuTu a bit more as it, in my opinion, is more consistent and provides better tests for the device.

Would you mind sharing what tweaks you have made to raise your Quadrant? I can possibly test and implement them in a future update if they show consistent improvement in performance. Thanks!

Question Here, Does It Take A While For The "Touch Android To Begin" Because All I Have Is A Black Screen, This Is Strange Considering If Memory Serves Correct The Android Should Appear Almost Instantaneously...I'm Gonna RSD Back To Stock And Start Over Again. Damn Phones Making Me Act Like This My First Rodeo.

Edit: Fixed It.

Thanks for flashing. I hope you're enjoying it so far.

I'm glad you have been able to resolve this problem. Would you mind sharing how in case other users run into the same problem?

In general, it will probably sit at the boot animation for some time. But after that it complete, the Android setup screen should appear without a halt at a black screen (or any color screen). To fix this, I would generally recommend pulling the battery and booting again. I hope this helps anyone who encounters this problem. Thanks.

Forgive me for asking what may be a very dumb question, but you are running quadrent multiple times correct?

Sent from my LGB v0.9 Gingercomb Juiced DROID2

The recorded score above (original post) was the average of 5 quadrants ran.

To those wishing to rely on Quadrant scores to test performance, try running it three or four times in a row to get a more accurate reading. Thanks.

Ok, first bug report coming up. It ran very nicely with no wipe. No loss to my Quadrant scores. The deal breaker for me is that gmail and corporate email are not functional. The activesync apk is there and blur email, but tapping the icon in the messaging app just dumps me back to my home screen. I like the stripped down rom but I have to have my corporate email or it's no good for me. Others may not need it. For a stock rom with no bells n whistles its almost golden. Fine tune it, de-odex it, fix the email. thumbs up for the effort

Thanks for the report. The reason that corporate email is not included is because BlurEmail.apk is removed from the ROM. BlurEmailEngine still remains because it is required to run the blur text messaging. I removed this because the market app, K9 mail (I think) can be used to sync your email. Its a very popular application. Otherwise, I can provide you with the BlurEmail.apk and BlurEmail.odex and give instructions on how to install them properly to your device's system. Thanks, and hope you're enjoying.

Problems I've Noticed Is That The Regular Browser Sometimes Doesn't Download Having To Use Skyfire. Touching To Enter A URL Link In Any Browser Automatically Kills The Browser. Disappointed You Removed The Stock Calendar.(Able To Restore W/Root Explorer The Blur APKs And Odex Files Changing Permissions)

Will Keep Adding To This Post As Things Arise.

I'll have to look into the download issues of the default browser -- I have not encountered this. If someone else is willing to test it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Entering a URL into the browser shouldn't kill it, I haven't experience this problem either. Any additional reports would be great.

One bug I can confirm is typing to search directly into the address bar of the browser seems to close it. This was a mistake in my last update before releasing the ROM. It is due to GoogleQuickSearch.apk missing from the system files. I plan on fixing this in the next update. As a temporary fix, please go to the Market and download Google Search. This should fix the issue for the time being. Thanks.

----------------------------------

I hope everyone is enjoying the ROM! Keep the issues and ideas for future updates coming. Expect an update within the next few days to fix the browser bug and hopefully add more framework components. Thanks and have a good day!

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
No Need To Thank Me We All Should Be Thanking You. You're The Guy Helping US Keep The Android Platform Open. Trust Me When I Say I Wish I Was Able To Develop And Make A Custom ROM Or Even Help Out Designing It. Unfortunately I Don't Have The Knowledge To Do So, In Return I Feel It's My Duty To Troubleshoot The ROM Ironing Out All The Bugs Making It The Best. Thanks Again CJ For Supporting This Community/Family Of Droid Owners.

xgrinder911

Reaction score
I have to say (being in the art industry) with all the blueish MOTOBLUR menus the greyed out parts dooont look as good, can you change it back? And then maybe have a greyed out theme to flash later on?
Other wise LOVE THE ROM!!!!! GOODBYE CRAPPY BATTERY DRAINING RESOURCE USING MOTOBLUR, thank you:D
DX2

xgrinder911

Reaction score
And one more thing (sorry for all the demands its a great rom!) You know the little minus buttons in the notification bar and browser windows? Could you pooooosibly make it the entire square? Cause sometimes il try and click the circle and end up clicking the notification or window instead/:

DX2

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have to say (being in the art industry) with all the blueish MOTOBLUR menus the greyed out parts dooont look as good, can you change it back? And then maybe have a greyed out theme to flash later on?
Other wise LOVE THE ROM!!!!! GOODBYE CRAPPY BATTERY DRAINING RESOURCE USING MOTOBLUR, thank you:D
DX2

Most definitely, because I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, the images I inserted were converted to rather low res in comparison to what they actually are and is giving the ROM kind of a disgruntled look. The next update you can expect stock theme back (minus the launcher dock at the bottom -- that big white thing is fugly), but also multiple flushable themes.

And that brings about a question for the community. What color themes would you like to see? Or what kind of theme in general? If you have a certain theme you like, and would like to see it, provide reference pictures and I'll try to reproduce it.

Thanks all!

And one more thing (sorry for all the demands its a great rom!) You know the little minus buttons in the notification bar and browser windows? Could you pooooosibly make it the entire square? Cause sometimes il try and click the circle and end up clicking the notification or window instead/:

DX2

I know exactly what you mean, im a victim of this as well. I'll work on it, but cannot guarantee it will make next release.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

vvildcard

Reaction score
Backed everything up with TB and nandroid, then did a full cache/factory clear... I will also say it runs really fast and, so far, stable. That said, I've had a few minor issues:

1. On first boot, I couldn't get any keyboard to come up. I thought I was stuck for a while because I couldn't figure out how to get past the Google account sign-up... I eventually discovered you could skip the entire setup by going all the way back to the beginning of the 'wizard'.
2. No Calendar (can't get any calendar app to sync with my Google Calendar)
3. No Gmail (Restored with TB and it's working)
4. When restoring some apps (Alarm & Clock 2.2.2 and Calendar 2.2.2), TB freezes. Other apps are restoring just fine... This obviously may be a TB problem, but I suspect it's somehow related to the ROM. So far, the only way to get TB to stop attempting to restore the apps is to reboot the phone.

Here are my AnTuTu results from before/after the ROM:
RAM: 616/626
CPU Integer: 1088/1105
CPU float-point: 985/992
2D Graphics: 294/299
3D Graphics: 1074/1090
Database IO: 295/325
SD Card Write: 36/43
SD Card Read: 76/80
Total Score: 4464/4560

Not an incredible increase, but an increase none-the-less. These are only single samples, so they may not be indicative of an actual performance increase... but that aside, the phone is super-snappy and I haven't even gotten around to SuperCharging, yet. :)

vvildcard

Reaction score
What color themes would you like to see? Or what kind of theme in general? If you have a certain theme you like, and would like to see it, provide reference pictures and I'll try to reproduce it.

I've always preferred streamlined themes with glassy effects, blues and black... I generally distrust themes that are over-the-top because in almost every case, something from the default UI leaks through or breaks something.

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Congrats to dev Chris you are the first out of the gates with an X2 ROM.

its very hard to be first and its takes major effort - thanks

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/19/first-droidx2-rom-available-for-download/

Thanks for posting this :) I'm glad the ROM is getting some recognition. Hopefully this will spark the interest of other devs for the X2 community. And my name is Corey, not Chris. Chris is one of the guys whom I believe wrote the article.

Excellent rom, great starting point to make fresh roms. Can't wait to see what devs come up with.

Only having one issue with it so far. My search button seems to not want to work anymore. I reinstalled some googleware including the search and voice but still nothing. Any idea on how to map the search key back to google search?

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Perhaps if you move the GoogleQuickSearch.apk to /system/app/ it will reconfigure with the search button. Unsure if this will absolutely work, but either way, the apk will be provided in the next update and everything should work as intended.

Great Rom, I love the speed. Unfortunately until I can reinstall a few of the stock apps (voicemail etc. ) I need to be on the crappy slow rom. So sad. No much time to mess with it while at work. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that this ROM doesn't fulfill your needs. My plan was to make a barebones ROM and allow users to add to it freely depending on what they use. Unfortunately, there aren't alternatives to some things I removed.

This brings me to an idea of creating an Bloatify station. This would either be included with the ROM or an outside apk. What this would do is allow you to select what bloat you wish to add back to the ROM. This will download it from an outside server and install it in the correct locations to allow desired bloat function. This is something im looking at in the distant future.

Where can I get that x2 wallpaper? Can you post it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

I'm assuming you are talking about the one I created for this ROM?

I will post it once I have access to my computer.

Backed everything up with TB and nandroid, then did a full cache/factory clear... I will also say it runs really fast and, so far, stable. That said, I've had a few minor issues:

1. On first boot, I couldn't get any keyboard to come up. I thought I was stuck for a while because I couldn't figure out how to get past the Google account sign-up... I eventually discovered you could skip the entire setup by going all the way back to the beginning of the 'wizard'.
2. No Calendar (can't get any calendar app to sync with my Google Calendar)
3. No Gmail (Restored with TB and it's working)
4. When restoring some apps (Alarm & Clock 2.2.2 and Calendar 2.2.2), TB freezes. Other apps are restoring just fine... This obviously may be a TB problem, but I suspect it's somehow related to the ROM. So far, the only way to get TB to stop attempting to restore the apps is to reboot the phone.

1. I'm working on this. The Moto input method is set to be the booted keyboard as of now. Once I completely remove all traces of it, it should change.

For anyone else who gets stuck, long click the text box and select input method, and choose a different keyboard.

2. Yeah, calendar sync was accidentally removed. I plan on adding it back.

3. Gmail can be downloaded easily, so I chose to leave it out. Im glad it works though once restored.

4. I will look into this as well. I also believe this is ROM related, but unfortunately, as of now, I have no idea as to the reasoning.

Keep the feedback coming! Thanks a lot!

elmatador

Reaction score
Backed-up, cleared cache, data and delvik. Install was quick and painless. Phone seems very responsive after the inital "one-run" stuff is done. However my contact's opens randomly even when the phone is not being used and I cannot use the back button to close the contacts - instead I have to press the home button.

Edit: After installing V6 and SD Speed the problem with contacts randomly opening went away. I assume I just needed to reboot and that it had nothing to do with the mem mods. Everything works as expected as far as I have tested. Great work!

I seem to be having same problem. I actually installed v6 and SD Speed and still have problem. Tried rebooting to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks!