ROM manager

gsmith

Reaction score
having a droid razr thats rooted with safestrap recovery do I need or wont ROM manager? Why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

bullswife98

Reaction score
I have Rom Manager on mine but only use it to fix permissions. The roms/and recoveries that's on it does not work with the Razr only the fix permissions work at this time. I'm sure there are other apps that do fix permissions just as well, but since I had R/M(paid) prior to the Razr I just went ahead and use it for that purpose. It helps with apps that aren't playing nicely,again that's all I can use it for as there aren't many roms available atm. Hopefully that will change soon.

Sent from my Updated and Re-Rooted Og Droid Razr sliced thin! :)

bullswife98

Reaction score
As for setcpu that you also posted, I believe you would only be able to underclock the kernel. Setcpu is used on devices that can overclock/underclock the kernel. Kernels are what the processor uses to run the device aka the brain and setcpu with root permission allows you to control how fast/slow you want it to go,thus mainly used for battery saving or speed up for performance. This also requires an unlocked bootloader to have this feature the bootloader is what allows modification to be allowed to swap out kernels to have optimum performance with out sacrificing battery. Which also helps devs in the making of roms easier hence why there are more dev support for the nexus/rezound as those devices are unlocked and able to flash roms and kernels. Razr and it being locked down regardless if it being able to root we are still very limited as to what we can modify. If you wanted to do flashing and romming the Razr will be slow to get started and you probably should've went with a device that was not locked. Sorry for the long post but hope this explains it a little better. Hopefully when the Razr gets ICS ota it will be unlocked (don't quote me on that) and we'll see some love for this awesome device and truly see the full potential it has.

Last edited:
OP
G

gsmith

Reaction score
Thank you so much! You have been a big help! So for now its just free wifi right! I love my Razr so I will wait and watch for new developments.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
As for setcpu that you also posted, I believe you would only be able to underclock the kernel. Setcpu is used on devices that can overclock/underclock the kernel. Kernels are what the processor uses to run the device aka the brain and setcpu with root permission allows you to control how fast/slow you want it to go,thus mainly used for battery saving or speed up for performance. This also requires an unlocked bootloader to have this feature the bootloader is what allows modification to be allowed to swap out kernels to have optimum performance with out sacrificing battery. Which also helps devs in the making of roms easier hence why there are more dev support for the nexus/rezound as those devices are unlocked and able to flash roms and kernels. Razr and it being locked down regardless if it being able to root we are still very limited as to what we can modify. If you wanted to do flashing and romming the Razr will be slow to get started and you probably should've went with a device that was not locked. Sorry for the long post but hope this explains it a little better. Hopefully when the Razr gets ICS ota it will be unlocked (don't quote me on that) and we'll see some love for this awesome device and truly see the full potential it has.

Good explanation! I only have basically one correction to make. You can underclock with a locked bootloader, you just cannot undervolt or overclock using kernels or use kernels at all for that matter. You will need to get an app that will allow you to overclock. (Not sure what is out there if any though.)
But basically, a stock kernel will never be as good as a custom one from a dev! :biggrin:!

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

bullswife98

Reaction score
Good explanation! I only have basically one correction to make. You can underclock with a locked bootloader, you just cannot undervolt or overclock using kernels or use kernels at all for that matter. You will need to get an app that will allow you to overclock. (Not sure what is out there if any though.)
But basically, a stock kernel will never be as good as a custom one from a dev! :biggrin:!

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

Thank you,I tried to explain as best as I could coming from the Droid that started it all and completely open Razr is something I'm learning as well with it being locked just have to go about it differently. Lol

OP
G

gsmith

Reaction score
Have you flashed the ice cream sandwich ROM? What do you think?
Is it stable?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums