Rom manager ?

kmcgill88

Reaction score
I've recently installed Rom manager and am about to try out a new Rom for the first time. I've already made nandroid of my stock Rom with a copy on computer for safe keeping.

My question is; does Rom manager auto recognize my phone model when displaying roms via rom managers 'download' area like it did when flashing clockworkmod recovery? I don't want to attempt to install a rom not ment for my droid (1).

Also, looking into tryinng CM6 (6.1.2). That should work fine with my verizon moto droid (1) 2.2.1 FRG83D shouldn't it?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I've recently installed Rom manager and am about to try out a new Rom for the first time. I've already made nandroid of my stock Rom with a copy on computer for safe keeping.

My question is; does Rom manager auto recognize my phone model when displaying ROMs via ROM Managers 'download' area like it did when flashing ClockworkMod recovery? I don't want to attempt to install a ROM not meant for my droid (1).

Also, looking into trying CM6 (6.1.2). That should work fine with my verizon moto droid (1) 2.2.1 FRG83D shouldn't it?

My personal suggestion is, if you already have CWMod recovery, just go to the CyanogenMod section here at DroidForums and download the zip files and install using recovery.
Each thread will tell you the phones it is good for, and using recovery, there is the likelihood for less problems than with ROM Manager. Some people have problems with it, while others (myself included) have.

Just download the zip file you want to your SD card (not in any folder), and use recovery to install.

OP
K

kmcgill88

Reaction score
How large of a zip file is CM6 rom roughly?

Ill definitely use the recovery to install. Thanks.

Is it necessary to flash the clockwork recovery prior to EVERY reboot to get into clockwork mod opposed to stock. Clockwork recovery has been sketchy 'sticking' when I try to boot into it.

Really my question is for any recovery mod used do you have to flash it EVERY time before using it? Or hypotheticaly should it stay?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
How large of a zip file is CM6 rom roughly?

Ill definitely use the recovery to install. Thanks.

Is it necessary to flash the clockwork recovery prior to EVERY reboot to get into clockwork mod opposed to stock. Clockwork recovery has been sketchy 'sticking' when I try to boot into it.

Really my question is for any recovery mod used do you have to flash it EVERY time before using it? Or hypotheticaly should it stay?

No, you flash it once and it SHOULD stick. If not, something didn't stick when using ROM Manager - which is what some people run into using it. Welcome to that club. :)

In order to fix it not sticking, I would suggest using MotoCache1's file to flash SPRecovery. It is a modified sfb file that flashes just the recovery part and leaves the rest of the phone intact. Same with root file, although that is an update.zip file to flash using recovery. USE THIS LINK.

The thread will seem daunting at first, but read through it a few times. It will start to make sense rather quickly and is very detailed so as long as you follow along step by step you won't screw anything up. And as anyone with a little experience here will tell you, preparation before doing these things the first time is the best thing you can do to help yourself. IMO, Moto has some of the most detailed and best walkthru's on the site.

As far as CM, I'm not sure. I'm strictly a SimplyStunning man and have been since 4.2 (he's now working on 5.0.1). His files are about 40,917 kb.
Some CM guru would have to chime in as to where to get it since I couldn't find a sticky thread with a download link that was still active. The 6.0 one I looked at were dead.

If you need help understanding any part of the walk thru I linked to, feel free to ask.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

I think the CM roms are about 60-80megs.

I would strongly suggest, as others have, that you learn to download your roms and install them manually with Clockwork. The reason I say this is because if you have a problem/incomplete install with Rom Manager, your only way to recovery may be to boot into Clockwork and install a rom or restore a backup. It sure will be a less "freaky" situation if you are very familiar with Clockwork first.

Good luck.

OP
K

kmcgill88

Reaction score
I'm now running CM612!!!! Thanks guys! Its amazing what you can get done with a few tutorials and YouTube.

I've got some exploring to do now. Thanks again everyone.