rom manager

Tianalacoya

Reaction score
okay i don't know if im an idiot or what but i was trying to change my theme and i go to the rom manager and click the install from sd card>downloads> and than chose the one i want...it than restarts my phone and than when it turns on it is the original theme and didn't change a thing....am i doing something wrong or am i an idiot?

detox

Reaction score
okay i don't know if im an idiot or what but i was trying to change my theme and i go to the rom manager and click the install from sd card>downloads> and than chose the one i want...it than restarts my phone and than when it turns on it is the original theme and didn't change a thing....am i doing something wrong or am i an idiot?

First, always run a backup before installing a rom or theme. You can do this in rom manager. You have to hit "flash clockwork recovery" before you can install anything from rom manager.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mbh87

Reaction score
You have to bootstrap recovery. If you don't already have the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap app, get it cuz you need it. Once you have it open the app click bootstrap then try ROM Manager again.

puck3511

Reaction score
You have to bootstrap recovery. If you don't already have the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap app, get it cuz you need it. Once you have it open the app click bootstrap then try ROM Manager again.

OK so click bootstrap then go back into rom manager and flash clockwork or just go to rom manager and pick rom/theme to use?? Still not understanding how to flash roms on DX yet if somebody could explain it to me like i am a 2 year old newbie that'd be great!! :-D I dont really like sbf'ing all the time

mbh87

Reaction score
No need to flask clockwork in ROM Manager since that's what the bootstrap does. Make sure to make a backup prior to flashing the theme tho.

puck3511

Reaction score
No need to flask clockwork in ROM Manager since that's what the bootstrap does. Make sure to make a backup prior to flashing the theme tho.

So say i flash a rom and it goes into bootloop. Can i then battery pull and the big question i have is can i then Boot into clockwork recovery and restore backup or do i have to flash sbf

mbh87

Reaction score
If a ROM puts you in a bootloop you then you will more than likely have to sbf, especially if you have to format system or if the ROM does it manually. If you get a bootloop from a theme then you can just pull the battery and get to clockwork.

puck3511

Reaction score
If a ROM puts you in a bootloop you then you will more than likely have to sbf, especially if you have to format system or if the ROM does it manually. If you get a bootloop from a theme then you can just pull the battery and get to clockwork.

Alright thanks for all your help man! Sounds like alot of sbf's when flashing roms on dx. Why does moto have to keep **** on lock ..grrrrrr

detox

Reaction score
Try to wipe data and cache before you sbf and see if that helps. Actually doing an sbf I think can be a good thing to get familiar with in case you need it in the future.

If you can't get to clockwork, turn off phone. Hold in the home key and power on the phone. When you see the droid with" !"release and press the search key. Wipe data and cache there!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App