ROM manager will not flash clockwork recovery

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Most issues are with RM, not clockwork anyways. I've switched back and forth depending on how lazy I am. I do like CW for not having to rename stuff. But eh its not too big a deal.

Sent from somewhere...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
it thinks I am not connected

I was on IRC earlier and told Koush about a different problem with ROM Manager wanting to update (according to him invalid) to a new version of clockworkmod and it was failing. He fixed it shortly after. But yea ROM Manager server is Borked again. What is the process to flash clockworkmod without using Rom Manager? I have long forgotten. Maybe that would help the OP.

I know some rom's have scripts built in to switch recoveries but I don't think there is any other method, atleast not that I am aware of to put CWM on the phone. I could be wrong.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was using CMR for quite awhile on droid that just replace and never had any serious problems.

I have always used clockwork and have never had an issue. I generally don't use rom manager anymore, other than to make a backup every once in a while.

Really? I'm surprised. I constantly hear about people not being able to boot into recovery, etc. I didn't even know Clockwork was a different recovery when I rooted haha. But SPRecovery has always been perfect.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually I think a lot of the people that were having issues with clockwork used "easy root" when that was the popular one click root app. I have had some issues with Rom Manager and switching recoveries, nothing major though, sometimes you have to flash the recovery a couple times to get it to stick.

captdroid

Reaction score
it thinks I am not connected

I was on IRC earlier and told Koush about a different problem with ROM Manager wanting to update (according to him invalid) to a new version of clockworkmod and it was failing. He fixed it shortly after. But yea ROM Manager server is Borked again. What is the process to flash clockworkmod without using Rom Manager? I have long forgotten. Maybe that would help the OP.

I know some rom's have scripts built in to switch recoveries but I don't think there is any other method, atleast not that I am aware of to put CWM on the phone. I could be wrong.

That's what the OP needs from the sounds of it is to just be able to flash clockworkmod onto the phone manually without using ROM Manager to do it.

captdroid

Reaction score
Actually I think a lot of the people that were having issues with clockwork used "easy root" when that was the popular one click root app. I have had some issues with Rom Manager and switching recoveries, nothing major though, sometimes you have to flash the recovery a couple times to get it to stick.

Yea I have no problems with clockworkmod recovery. It's Koush's Rom Manager server and his link configuration that SUCKS

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score

Could be. I still haven't quite figured out the one click root. I've had 3 Droids and not one could one click root. I only tried on the first but the other two were the build that couldn't do that. Glad I couldn't though. How often do you have to flash a recovery?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't really ever switch my recovery because I personally like clockwork but when I first received my replacement droid1 it took me a few times flashing clockwork to get it to stick and I have read numerous threads of people having that same issue.

captdroid

Reaction score
OP go to rescuesquad section and ask there how to flash clockworkmod recovery manually without Rom Manager. Your probably just going to get a back and forth debate about spr versus clockworkmod here.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't really ever switch my recovery because I personally like clockwork but when I first received my replacement droid1 it took me a few times flashing clockwork to get it to stick and I have read numerous threads of people having that same issue.

Yeah, I hear of that sometimes. Is CWM something that Koush came up with too? Or just Rom Manager? When I first rooted I flashed SP and tried using Rom Manager haha

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP go to rescuesquad section and ask there how to flash clockworkmod recovery manually without Rom Manager. Your probably just going to get a back and forth debate about spr versus clockworkmod here.

We're just discussing them now. Not debating:)

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the OP's best bet would be to do as he suggested and find his backup file rename it update.zip and flash through sprecovery. That should work fine.

captdroid

Reaction score
I think the OP's best bet would be to do as he suggested and find his backup file rename it update.zip and flash through sprecovery. That should work fine.

What backup file is the OP talking about? clockworkmod does not create a update.zip file when it backs up.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah that's true for some reason I was thinking when it backuped it created a zip file in the clockwork backup folder. Good find on the rsdlite way.