Rom Manager? What exactly is it. and also a New Roms question.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Koontzy, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok can someone please explain the Rom Manager to me?

What all will it let ya do?

Also I have BB 4, and I love it, but lets say I wanted to update it to V5(when it comes out) is there a instruction page for it?

Also if I wanted to replace BB4 with another Rom later on, like CM6 etc..... How would I go about doing this?

2. jbrock98

jbrock98 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rom manager is just a way to download roms over the air straight to your phone, not everything is in there, it also uses clockwork recovery instead of sp, it has one button backup/install, I used to use but I stopped b/c of problems with it & not having ultimate droid updates (one of the best froyo roms out) its good for beginners & just to simplify stuff but alot of ppl have been having problems personally I wish I hadn't wasted my money but I ain't gonna tell u wat to do

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8

4. jbrock98

jbrock98 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The instructions for installing bbv0.5 will be in the thread when it comes out u may have too wipe b4 installing maybe not, and if going to a different rom u just need to wipe data/cache & install new rom

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    Okay I am one of the nuts that uses and likes ROM Manager/ClockworkMod. It is sort of your one stop shop for most roms, kernels and themes. It does have its issues but I have found that if you follow two simple rules you usually don't have any troubles. My two rules for RM are 1) always clear download cache before doing anything in RM; and 2) if possible run WiFi when downloading through RM.

When replacing a rom I always wipe data and cache. I think when you are placing a new OS on your phone a clean slate is best.

6. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to add that sometimes recovery isn't properly flashed when using clockwork mod/rom manager. I always flash the recovery file at least 2 times, usually 3, to ensure that I don't get stuck unable to boot into recovery and access my backups should something go wrong.

7. Chrisace89

Chrisace89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love rom manager.. i would give it a try, it makes everything so much easier.. its like the app store but just for roms.

8. dakoop

dakoop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It makes it easier to flash roms for sure. you dont have to worry about renaming or moving files around like in sp
    You can also flash multiple files without rebooting or mounting

9. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't had any issues with Rom Manager anymore. The latest updates have seemed to eliminate the need to flash multiple times and everything has been working more flawlessly then ever.

The key advantage clockwork has over sprecovery is that you don't need to rename files to "update.zip" thus making it a lot faster to say flash a Rom, then a kernel and then a theme. Also allows for seamless organization of your files. I was in the same camp as others who have never used it before I tried it. I shouild probably point out that I rarely use Rom Manager but clockwork recovery is my choice now and I couldn't see going back to sprecovery unless some updates are puit out for it.

With that said, both clockwork and sprecovery are solid and neither one is going to brick your phone is used properly.

#9 HarvesterX™, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. mcalhoun

mcalhoun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I personally use ROM manager to install everything from ROMs to kernals to themes and even apps. Right, wrong or indifferent, it works great for me. I may have to rename the file to "update" from its original name and install that way but it works and isn't that what I bought it for?

Search tags for this page

rom manager tutorial