1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rom Manager- something went wrong

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by djsnowflake, Feb 16, 2011.

1. djsnowflake

djsnowflake New Member

Ok I have a rooted Original Droid, I rooted it with Soup or root. Yesterday I installed Rom Manager on it, I created a backup, and tried to install CyanogenMod, when the phone rebooted it seemed to be reset, everything was like when I first got it, except for the fact superuser, is on it, it's still rooted. I can't open market, I got rom manager on there through g-mail but it says clockworkmod recovery is not flashed, (which is should be since I was able to use it just before rebooting my phone) and it wont let me flash CMR because it "can't connect to server" on good wifi and 3G. I got root explorer on there and and Im pretty sure I didn't lose anything, I just don't know how to restore that back up. Can anybody help?
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I think you used an old and out of date rooting method that probably doesn't work now. Go here and follow his directions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html
  3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Souporroot sucks. Hate to break it to you. So does ROM Manager for a lot of people, especially when it stops working or flat out breaks. When they work, they work great, but when they break...

Sounds like you're having a bad day. There are ways to fix it, but you're going to have to do the legwork yourself. Comfortable with that? I hope so! :)

BayouFlyFisher posted the right link. For FRG83D/2.2.1 it's the best method to root we have. You'll need a PC with Windows on it and Administrator access to do it. If you have Linux, you'll need a program called SBF Flash instead. If that won't work we have some other methods that can force the issue. :) Good luck and let us know!
  4. djsnowflake

djsnowflake New Member

Well my phone is still rooted, should I unroot and then re root the correct way.
  5. Jasko

Jasko New Member

I hate to hi-jack a thread, and also create a new one in regards to the same app. but I'm rooted, have Rom Manager, and am using Project Elite 4.2. I'm trying to backup / load a new rom....... every time I do this through Rom Manager, hitting backup first or even just straight wipe, the phone shuts down and reboots normally and does not back up or wipe.

Is there a reason why it's doing this? I've read that Rom Manager sucks, but it's all I know as of right now. What other apps could I use to back up / load roms?
  6. BayouFlyFisher

Clockwork Notes:

The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.
  7. Jasko

Jasko New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you posted and it did indeed work.

Thank you.
  8. BayouFlyFisher

Glad to hear it!! I used Clockwork for almost a year before recently switching to RZR 2.0. I never, ever had any faith in Rom Manager though. I know it mostly works now, but I've grown really fond of doing things (backups, installs, etc.) manually. It just gives me more opportunities to play with my phone!! :icon_ banana:

Good luck.
  9. djsnowflake

djsnowflake New Member

ok I have now unrooted, and re rooted using the method BayouFlyFisher suggested. Now what should I do to flash a new rom?
  10. furbearingmammal

Download the rom file and treat it just like the update.zip file you used to root. Make a backup and do a full wipe first, though. Just in case. :)

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.
  11. BayouFlyFisher

Follow FBM's directions and then this:

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

If the first thing you do with Clockwork, during any particular session, is to try and make a Nandroid backup and you get an error message (without regard to what it says), you should just wait a few seconds and not do anything. That is because Clockwork is about to reboot the phone. As stated above, as soon as the screen goes dark, press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Then start over and Clockwork will work as it was intended for the rest of the session.

Installation Instructions [ClockWork]
    1) Download the ROM of your choice and place somewhere on your SD Card
    2) Reboot into ClockWork recovery

3) Scroll down and select “Nandroid
    4) Select “Backup
    5) After backup is complete
    6) Select “Wipe data”
    7) Select “Wipe Cache
    8) Select “Install zip from sdcard”

9) select “Choose Zip from sdcard”
    10) Navigate to where you placed the ROM and select it
    11) On the Confirm Install screen scroll down and select “Yes

12) Your ROM will be installed
    13) Reboot from the main screen of ClockWork Recovery

NOTES: I only do the wipes when new rom is from a different Dev or is based on different OS version. The first boot of a new rom quite often takes a very long time. Do not panic, be patient
  12. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Also, see the second link in my signature for sprecovery/clockworkmod flashing technique.
  13. djsnowflake

djsnowflake New Member

Thanks I am now running Gingerbread 2.3.2 GPA11. Sorry I know Im a noob, but thanks for your help.
  14. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Thats why we are here. Good you got going!

Welcome to the dark side.
  15. furbearingmammal

Sorry for the hijack. You don't need to unroot to follow Moto's method. It will simply reroot you, but it'll do it the right way. :) It will also turn off the Recovery Reset System that Moto put in, allowing a custom recovery image to stick.
  16. aimless

aimless New Member

I think I have a similar issue. I rooted my DX for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to load the back up I made right after rooting. It keeps telling me "failed to seek /cache/update.zip (invalid argument), signature verification failed, install aborted. Does your previous suggestion here apply to my DX as well? Keep in mind, I'm sure you know already, I'm a total newb.
  17. BayouFlyFisher

18. aimless

aimless New Member

19. BayouFlyFisher

In my Droid 1 world I would assume 1) the update file had been corrupted, 2) Clockwork was screwing up.

I would find out which it was by trying to re-install the rom I was currently running. If it installs, the problem is with the old update.zip file. If it you get an error while trying to install it, I would assume Clockwork was bad and re-install it. Ya'll get Clockwork through the bootstrap app, don't you?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/122025-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html
  20. aimless

aimless New Member

Yea I've got it- thanks. I'm actually just running rooted stock rom. I've been messing with meta morph/ninja morph changing my battery meter design, CJM has been helping me, and I just think I messed with too much framework for my own good. Just want to start over again, ya know? Maybe that's unnecessary. My battery icon/meter isn't 100% yet.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 g something went wrong
droid phone sorry something went wrong message
droid razr something went wrong
droid something went wrong popupg
droid- something went wrong

failed to seek in cache update.zip

rom manager has wrong date for backups

rom manager sucks

something wrong with rom manager
verizon android. something went wrong.