1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ROM manager question

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by freakintoddles, Dec 17, 2010.

1. freakintoddles

freakintoddles New Member

Hi,
    I rooted my moto droid several months ago and loaded sapphire 1.0 build onto it. It's running fine but I'm interested in checking out other ROMs now.
    Since I havent been keeping up to date with the newest methods of switching between ROMs, I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction here. Is this what ROM manager does?
    I also am curious, is there a way yet to load a new ROM without losing all your apps, settings, texts, etc? This is the other reason I havent wanted to load new ROMs.
    Link me to other posts I just couldnt find what I was looking for.
    Thanks
  2. E1337Hax

E1337Hax New Member

Hello,

I can help you with ROM Manager. ROM Manager is exactly what you said, for flashinf ROMS. Since you have rooted there should be no problem. Flashing a ROM will not delete anything on your SD Card (pictures,videos,etc.). What you want to do when you flash a ROM is wipe cache/factory restore. This will delete everything on your internal storage. Your apps should be backed up with google and will restore as soon as you open the market on your new ROM. Make sure you make a backup with ROM Manager of your current ROM to ensure you wont mess up your phone.

Hope that helps,
  3. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Always have a nandroid backup! Rom manager can be glitchy though when downloading a rom sometimes. You may have to download the new rom to your sdcard and install manually through recovery if rom manger craps out. Wipe data and cache, and format boot and system if using clockwork recovery for optimal performance.

Sent from Tyler Perry's Row 11
  4. dbst

dbst New Member

You can also use Titanium Backup to backup/restore your apps + app data