Rom Manager Q's

kavancamp

Reaction score
So I am about two weeks into my Droid Era and rooted yesterday on my ese81. Kinda a rush cause of the risk I guess. I went with Jrummyremix. The new one. I rooted by simply putting SPRecovery on my phone and then downloading the Jrummy remix and changin the name to update.zip. I installed that zip and boom, came with root. This is by far the most simple way to root that I have read about. Anyway, flashed to Clockworkmod, got rom manager and my phone is currently downloading UDv10 as we speak.

What do I do next???? Still a noob, first time using ROM manager. Do I have to wipe cache in that screen you go to when you hold X to start your phone?? What is the process?

Thanx to anyone who takes time out of there day to answer my Q's.

jtydroid

Reaction score
Rom Manager, or "The coolest thing ever to happen to non-techies interested in rooting" will do it all for you. *slips into flame-retardant outfit*

I just suggest you make nandroid backups (an option you have when your download finishes), and when you install a whole new rom, absolutely clear cache and user data.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread moved to Koush so member can get answers on ROM Manager.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Get it from the market, you need the free and paid version. You sure you are rooted correctly? Everything working OK? I didn't know you could do it that simply but it has been MONTHS since I did it last...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I recommend always wiping data and cache when flashing another rom. If you worried about losing apps use an app like titanium backup to backup apps.

jtydroid

Reaction score
I recommend always wiping data and cache when flashing another rom. If you worried about losing apps use an app like titanium backup to backup apps.

Though, ROM Manager has a great restore function. It's kindof hidden, but if you wait long enough after flashing a new ROM, it will restore your market apps.

Or, at least, it used to...

OP
K

kavancamp

Reaction score
yeah running jrummy right now. Its a new way to do with stock 2.1 I guess. But I have the ninja and everything.. I already have rom manager. My phone is downloading udv10 right now. All I am asking is for someone to tell the next steps to take after its finished to change roms...

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Though, ROM Manager has a great restore function. It's kindof hidden, but if you wait long enough after flashing a new ROM, it will restore your market apps.

I use Titanium just in case... however, is this a ROM Manager function? Because I have used other ROMs and noticed this happened once or twice with them..

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

I thought that was a feature of CyanogenMod, not ROM Manager.

jtydroid

Reaction score
yeah running jrummy right now. Its a new way to do with stock 2.1 I guess. But I have the ninja and everything.. I already have rom manager. My phone is downloading udv10 right now. All I am asking is for someone to tell the next steps to take after its finished to change roms...

Really, there's no next step. Once it finishes downloading ROM manager will ask you if you want to A) Backup Current ROM (you do) and B) Clear Cache and Data files (You do)

It will then reboot and work so much magic your wife/girlfriend may be sawed in half without you noticing.

I'm rather a fan, if it was subtle or unnoticeable.

OP
K

kavancamp

Reaction score
someone that has done this....I really just need a simple... when udv10 is finished downloading through rommanager next you.....???

OP
K

kavancamp

Reaction score
thx jt thats exactly what I was looking for... and if it saws my wife in half... well thats a small sacrifice for the well being of my droid!

jtydroid

Reaction score
someone that has done this....I really just need a simple... when udv10 is finished downloading through rommanager next you.....???

I really feel like I answered this, but there's one thing... when it finishes downloading, did ROM Manager give you a popup asking to Backup Current Rom and Wipe User Data/Cache? That popup should happen automatically, and if it didn't, then I can't help further.

One thing though, if you are going with UD, you will likely want to install it via nandroid and NOT ROM Manager. There's a ton of info on the forums about that too.

EDITED: Our posts crossed, but the point about UD is still relevant.