Rom Manager+Other ROM's

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Isosceles Raion, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Isosceles Raion

Isosceles Raion New Member

Alright so I rooted my phone usingROM manager about 2 weeks ago, it's working fine but I haven't really used it to it's full potential.I have busybox, clockwork, and at the bottom it says SBf recovery and such. Aren't those essential to having my rooted droid used to it's awesomeness it is? My Droid1 is running CyanogenMod 6.0.0, but I've been curious about other ROM's like Chevy or Ultimat3e Droid, etc. I dont have a credit card and my mum won't pay for the full version of ROM Manager, so I'm more than positive theres a way to put other ROM's on my Droid without buying that premium app.
    A guide, simple instructions, or anything of the sort would really help me out in this dilemna. Will someone help me here?
  2. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

3. Isosceles Raion

Alright, but how do I apply the theme to my droid. I know I need to create a nandroid backup, wipe data/factory reset, but if Easy root, busy box, and the ninja icon get wiped, won't that take away my rooting in the phone and screw everything up?
  4. aristoid

aristoid New Member

Help with ROMs

I am relatively new to rooting and flashing ROMs, I have only tried a couple at this point. But if you install a custom ROM, it will install over your root. There is no loss of root privileges...Just use the update.zip method to install a ROM. You will need to download the ROM manually instead of using RM if you do not have the paid version.

You should not lose root as long as you don't flash a stock ROM...

Good luck ! And have fun trying different ROMs !!
  5. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Plain and simple - the BEST way to root your Droid is using the steps listed in this thread:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

If you ask any of the experienced people here, or read through the forums, you will see that the EasyRoot or UniversalRoot methods cause many, many, many, many, many, many headaches down the road. It seems like every time you make a change, it will show you as rooted, but you will get errors telling me you don't have root access.

I won't go into the steps here because MotoCache1 did an excellent job of breaking down each step so even the "lowest common denominator" could understand it. But installing the new ROM would be as easy as downloading the zip file, renaming to update.zip like the files in the root thread posted. VERY EASY AND FREE! And I've never had a problem using that method.

EDIT: Other advantage??? You get familiar with RSDLite which can get you out of almost any jam you might find yourself in while hacking these beautiful phones!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html
  6. Isosceles Raion

So I got Ultimate Droid 8.0; everything performs great UNTIL the screen turns off for the lock scree. Once there it throws itself into a bootloop. I wiped 3 times, but why does it continue to boot loop everytime my screen goes off for lock. I really like the Ultimate Droid them that's blue, but how can I enjoy it if this keeps happening. Someone please answer and help!!
  7. krazyskott

krazyskott New Member

I know what your going through. ROM Manager sometimes doesn't download the Rom completely which will cause a boot loop no matter how many times you wipe.
  8. Isosceles Raion

Well I got the download file through this website on my computer, and put it on the sd card like instructed. It just boot loops, but everyone didn't experience this problem so something must be wrong with my file or phone or something.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

The premium version of ROM Manager gives you access to a convenient menu of ROMs to download direct from the app. If you use just the free version (like I do), you just need to find the ROM zip files yourself and download them. You can still use ROM Manager to install them - just pick "Install ROM from SD Card" and pick out the file you downloaded.

There are lots of ways to do this:
    1). You can download them directly from your phone browser - they will be saved in /sdcard/download
    2). You can download them from a computer, plug in your droid, and copy them on there. They will end up in /sdcard and in whatever directory you put them in
    3). You can use Chrome2Phone to send yourself a link to the specific file you want to download, then download it like in #1
    4). You can use a service like dropbox to send files to your phone.
    Or you can email, ftp, etc. options are endless, use whatever method works for you.

Once you have the file you want to install, you can either go into ROM Manager and pick "Install ROM from SD Card" and select the file you downloaded OR you can reboot holding X to get into the Clockwork Recovery console and pick the same option from there (and pick the file). Both are doing the same thing.

If you get a "boot loop", revert back to a backup. You did make a backup, right? Always make a backup before installing anything from a zip file in rom manager or clockwork.
  10. aristoid

aristoid New Member

It sounds like you have a corrupted ROM file. I would suggest restoring to your backup - a working phone I assume. Re-download the Rom and try again.

From what I have been able to tell, this is not the first case of a corrupted file, and a re-download has been the cure for that.

Good Luck ! Enjoy the new ROM.