ROM Manager not worth the aggravation IMO

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by SnoDrtRider, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just uninstalled ROM Manager... AGAIN.
    I always used SPRecovery from the first time I rooted back in March and I just don't get what everyone sees in ROM Manager.

I tried... believe me.
    I installed right after I used Easy Root because I downloaded the wrong file and installed an Unrooted version of FRG101b and lost root and at the time SPR was not available to flash to 2.2.
    I never tried a custom rom and decided to give Cyanogen 6.0 a try because there was a lot of good stuff being said about it.
    After downloading the ROM I tried to flash it using ROM manager and ended up at the stock recovery screen after just flashing Clockwork... And thankfully ended up back on my Stock Rooted FRG 101B
    I got an message that said ROM manager was "broken" I tried "Fix Permissions" still booted into stock recovery after flashing Clockwork yet again.
    Again booted back into my Stock Rooted FRG101B:icon_ banana:

I uninstalled ROM MGR and then my curiosity got the best of me and I re-installed it and downloaded CM6 again. This morning I got CM6 loaded but didn't have time to screw with all the settings and could not find my contacts, etc? (Yes I downloaded Google Apps with CM6)
    Not having the time to screw around I booted into recovery and installed my back up of FRG101B. Everything came back and worked fine all day (Double:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Banana)

I got an update for ROM MGR through Market and updated this afternoon so I figured I would try again... I had read that you need to flash Clockwork every time you change a ROM (what's up with that???) so I did.
    Selected "Install Rom from SD" and after a bit of confusion as to finding CM6 I installed it again figuring I now have all night to set it up.

NOT TO BE! Guess what! Thats right... it booted into stock recovery AGAIN!

I double click the power and the phone boots back to trusty, rooted FRG101B... (Triple :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Banana PLUS a Happy Droid dancedroid)
    OK I'm now totally done with ROM MGR and off to flash the recently updated SPRecovery for 2.2 file that I know works every time... all the time. I had SPRecovery on my Driod for a few months and used it for at least five updates/leak installs and NEVER had to reinstall to get it to work.

#1 SnoDrtRider, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. les017

les017 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Werd... I deinstalled several months ago just for this reason and never looked back.

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've never used it and I don't recommend it to anyone. Just seems to have a lot of problems however it does usually resolve the issue by doing a reinstall of it. Still I'm no fan.

4. lack06

lack06 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i used to have the same problem with it asking for flash recovery, then not letting me download it.

mines working fine now though, downloaded recovery through the rom. and i have RSDLITE on my windows computer.

i used rom manager to install and reinstal various Chevy ROMs so its working fine.

5. VampyricDroid

VampyricDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thats weird ive been useing it for awhile now and havent had it do that except once and i fixed it just by flashing sprecovery then flashing back to clockwork and havent had to reflash it since even through multiple custom rom flashes. it might be the way you rooted. i rooted using the latest universal androot apk because it has the root unroot buttons and i used rom manager to get the recovery flashed without worrying about getting bricked which im too broke to afford another phone as awesome as the motorola droid. Oh and by the way im useing sapphire 1.0.0 frg01b with the black bar theme and overclocked to 1ghz without any problems thanks to this method.

6. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Generally ROM manager and Clockworkmod have worked fine for me. At first I used SPRecovery but now I just use ROM manager and Clockworkmod lately.

7. KingTee

KingTee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any problems with it. Best way to flash ROM's period IMO. Just one click and your done. No need to rename anything.

8. BlueSami

BlueSami Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RM SUCKS!!!dancedroid

9. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    Sami, how do you really feel?
    Like many other posters, I've never used it and need missed it. The whole flashing the recovery issue wasn't worth the trade off of not having to rename everything update.zip. Just flash SPRecovery and forget it.

10. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    I love Rom Manager, I haven't had a single issue with it. It's worked perfectly for me every single time I've used it.

It's an awesome app, it makes downloading and installing roms simple. You don't even need to turn on your computer at all. Also it is really good for making and managing backups.

Personally I can't understand the rancor. If it doesn't work for you, just uninstall it and get on with your life. Why all the hating?

11. brock

brock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't want to sound like a edited by moderator, but all of the problems i have heard about with RM seem to be user error.

#11 brock, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  12. KingTee

KingTee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the hating comes from BD users because of what went down with koush. A lot is user error and the other half is RM.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

it's not worth the aggravation

universal androot for huawei ascend