ROM Manager inhibits fresh installs?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by BrandonAsphyxiated, Apr 11, 2010.

1. BrandonAsphyxiated

BrandonAsphyxiated New Member

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean like last night i was using ROM manager just to test out some ROMs (Bugless, Smoked Glass) and such, but when i tried to update.zip back my Ultimate Droid 9.8 i wiped data and cache and installed correctly but its like i still had Smoked Glass, no NexTheme wallpaper, it was pretty much the same as if i hadnt done anything and now im thinking somethings hidden on my SD that could be causing it, so im about to format it through the Droid (after i backup everything i want to keep), i just thought i might as well come on here and tell you guys about it and hear your opinions before i do it and risk F-ing up my ish lol, its not like i NEED to flash, the phone is working perfectly, but i am getting some force closes i hadnt before. All in all its not a problem, but im just the kind of person that gets OCD about my software not being completely clean and efficient you know?
  2. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Brandon,

Sending you to the Rescue Squad area, those guys can help you better than the General Discussion area..

Hang on tight...beaming in progress.
  3. BrandonAsphyxiated

Ok, thanks:)
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I've not used ROM manager so my thoughts may be off base. I doubt that something is hidden on your SD card. If you haven't reformated your SD card, I would flash a different rom and see if everything works. If it does then flash another. If you successfully install then the issue is with the UD rom.

Mike
  5. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

This is a case of a ROM breaking root. It happens. I've have older versions of BB and UD break root on me. Flash another ROM try using nandroid method. If not comfortable with that we can walk ya through it.
  6. mwhartman

Are you still having problems, Brandon?

Mike
  7. BrandonAsphyxiated

Wow now its not delivering my emails XD
    i kinda still am having problems
    my battery life is horrendous now as well, and now applications are being run in the background even after i kill them
    I need to re-flash this ROM asap
    I'm however, no familiar with the nandroid method
    I'm only familiar with the wipe/update.zip method
  8. johall07

johall07 New Member

its easy if you use clockwork download the nandroid backup and put it in clockwork>backups folder, then boot into recovery (hold x then power on) wipe date and cache then go to nandroid>advanced nandroid restore>choose the nandroid you just added>perform restore

in sprecovery just make a folder named nandroid on the root of your sdcard and put the nandroid backup in there, boot into recovery, wipe, select backup/restore>advanced nandroid restore>choose backup to restore>select the nandroid you jsut added>perform restore

this is a basic basic guide if you dont get what im saying im sure someone will link to an in depth guide
  9. mwhartman

I would try to throttle back your OC kernel. That may be causing some of your issues.

Mike
  10. BrandonAsphyxiated

Ok so i already have nandroid on my phone when i backed up before i rooted for the first time, is there a special nandroid version of the ROM i need to use?
  11. jstafford1

For the battery life, check settings: about phone: system updates. You may be continuosly downloading the OTA update. If it says there is an update you should allow it to install. Your recovery will cause it to fail, but it will stop continually downloading.

Hope you're not saying you have a task killer?? I would dump that. What apps keep running anyways?
  12. mwhartman

No. I noticed in your signature "ChevyNo1 kernel OC @ 1.25Ghz Running full speed" what I am suggesting is using setCPU and dropping the speed back a little.

Mike
  13. jstafford1

Ok you need to be careful here. If you're running clockwork recovery the nandroid folder on the root of your sd isn't going to work, that's for sprecovery. Any ROM you use with clockwork has to be specific to clockwork and will go in the clockworkmod folder. You should have a nandroid folder in there as well.
  14. stevonyc35

stevonyc35 New Member

maybe you need to format system using adb.
  15. BrandonAsphyxiated

@jstafford1 i didn't know it would continuously download, but i checked it and there are no system updates available it says i'm up to date. also whats wrong with a task killer? D: i though that was the main way to save battery life
    @mwhartman well i don't have it full out 1.25 all the time i have profiles on so when its in sleep/standby it runs @ 125Mhz and now i don't even run it at 1.25ghz anymore i just have it at 1ghz, 1.25 doesn't even seem like that much of a difference to me
  16. mwhartman

Thanks for the clarification, Brandon. I've not had issues like yours but many others have and reducing the OC seems to resolve the issues. Like you, I have profiles in place. If you have time try reducing the main max to 800. It can't hurt.

Mike
  17. BrandonAsphyxiated

Yeah sometimes things did get unstable at 1.25, i think i might go ahead and flash the 1ghz kernel just to test, also i have a question about the nandroid restore i downloaded the ultimate droid 9.8 nandroid zip, put it in the nandroid folder on my card, then rebooted. i then wiped data/cache and then when to restore the ROM and it said "error status line 25" something along those lines, what do you suggest?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  18. mwhartman

Here is error 25 - The rom is in too many subfolders. ( I.e. nandroid/samplerom/samplerom, it needs to be nandroid/samplerom

Check your sd card and see exactly what is in the folder
  19. mwhartman

20. BrandonAsphyxiated

nothing is in the folder except my retail boot recovery thats it no other folders