1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ROM Manager - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Big D, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D New Member

I've only used it when changing ROMS. But I keep hearing people say not to use it.

Is this an acceptable way to change ROMS?
  2. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

its acceptable sure. I prefer to use the recovery method myself.

Ive used ROM manager before and didnt have any probs, but for me...the only purpose it serves it to flash recovery, check for updates for certain ROMs, and patches. I dont personally prefer to install ROMs via RM. I know a lot of folks use it though.
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Big D, many members use RM to change roms without issue. Others have had issues. Make sure you have a good backup in ClockWork or SPR and you should be OK.

Mike
  4. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

I don't download anything with it, and do most of the things thru recovery, but I do use it to flash recoveries and the occasional .zip file
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I realize that most people only post when they have something to complain about, all I can say is I've never used it but I see a lot of problems people seem to have using it.
  6. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I use it. Used SPRecovery until around 2.1 days and then switched to Rom Manager/ClockworkMod Recovery.

Technically....Rom Manager doesn't flash the ROM's, Kernels, Themes, app packages, etc..it just triggers the install for you via ClockworkMod Recovery.

I prefer ClockworkMod Recovery over SPRecovery, but that is just my preferences...
  7. jacobydarkon

jacobydarkon New Member

Rom Manager

I used it for about a second because it wouldn't flash clockwork recovery. It might have been something I did wrong, but I didn't have any problems with sprecovery. My only complaint is that because I do not use clockwork recovery, I cannot even view the roms available on rom manager. I would even consider buying it if I could just see what is on there without having to flash a new recovery.
  8. Jmart922

Jmart922 New Member

Haven't had much issues, works great for me
  9. phenix

phenix New Member

I have used it since I started flashing roms on my phone. Probably flashed over 50 times with it as I like to test roms and often switch back and forth (and of course changing themes and kernals adds up too...). I only experienced one issue ever... after the very first rom I ever flashed, clockworkmod seemed to disappear. After the next bootup RM came up with a little prompt saying it noticed I had an issue and gave me some suggestions to fix it (which worked BTW). Otherwise I haven't had any issues at all with it. My only gripe is the fact that the folder structure that RM uses when you download roms through it is horrendous, making it next to impossible to find a downloaded rom from the clockwork recovery menu.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

Rom Manager is fine when it works. Just be prepared for the day you go into a boot loop :D Personally I will only use Sprecovery.
  11. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

obviously you have more experience with this stuff but if someone where to bootloop its user error. Is your problem with clockwork or RM? because as far as i can tell Rm has had bugs but clockwork works all the time. But you have more knowledge with people having problems with RM and clockwork. I would just like to say that while RM has had some problems in the past it has worked for me without fail for a long time.
  12. Corinacakes

I REPEAT: Rom Manager is fine when it works. Just be prepared for the day you go into a boot loop :D Personally I will only use Sprecovery.
  13. phenix

phenix New Member

Pretty sure you can bootloop with anything. I think it depends more on the particular rom/kernel/theme and whether you are attempting to go without wiping data/cache. I think the more accurate statement is "if you are flashing anything on your phone by any method, be prepared for the day it bootloops."

People need to remember that RM is just a set of tools that makes finding and flashing roms, backups, restores, etc. easier. It is NOT actually flashing the rom itself, it just helps make your life easier by pushing commands out to clockwork so you can initiate whatever it is you are trying to do from within the OS on an organized interface instead of doing it through a recovery menu.

14. Corinacakes

I disagree but hay...everyone has their opinion right? :D

URGENT HELP NEEDED (insert recovery here) I'M IN A BOOTLOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Sprecovery 5% or less
    CW via RM 50% or more
    CW only - Unknown because most cries for help include using RM in their post.
  15. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Can I just put this in: Use what works..............

If you have a problem with something for some reason... Don't use it? Use the other? Download emails? Work from home? Whatever....

Just do it and let's stop whining about it.
  16. phenix

phenix New Member

I agree with the above, but I also think looking at it that way can be a little misleading. I would think RM lends itself more to novices as it provides a kind of one stop shop with a decently intuitive interface. These would be the same people who freak when they get a bootloop and come screaming to the forums (where they should have spent some more time with in the first place) about a bricked phone.
    I mean don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using sp, I just think rm gets a bad rap.

17. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

When I first started flashing ROMs I used SPRecovery... never had a problem.
    I tried RM / Clockwork because I wanted a quicker way to switch ROMs and still did not have a problem but felt that I was not really in control if something went wrong so I switched back to SPRecovery. I really don't like a program to do everything for me unseen, I would rather do a step by step with me initiating the steps... if something goes wrong I at least know where (at which step) the problem occurred.

With that being said... I think the reason there are more problems reported with RM / Clockwork is because more people use it because it is easier and MOST OF THEM really don't know what they are doing therefore take the easy route.
    Because they don't know what they are doing they require more help when they do have a problem whereas an SPRecovery user took the time to learn how everything works (RSDLite, ADB, Etc.) and is able to flash back and sort the problem on their own.
  18. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

100%^this

-Droid Does
  19. joeybarclay

joeybarclay New Member

I just dont think that RM would go out of its way to bootloop someone. People who use sprecovery usually arnt the noobs as SnoDrtRider stated a few posts up. I think that RM gets a bad rep from people who dont know how to use it properly.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  20. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Perhaps I wrong but it is my sense that there are more post seeking help from folks that use RM/CW than from folks that use SPR. Just an observation.