ROM Manager Assistance is Needed!

Parkhum

Reaction score
Call me and idiot or something, but I installed the ROM Manager right after I rooted my DX.
I've tried to install two separates ROMs, which wiping all that was needed and it downloads and reboots my device.
THEN when it reboots absolutely nothing is different.

Thoughts?
SP

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Idiot...

Just kidding. Unless you are already running certain ROMs then installing with ROM Manager will not work. You need to use bootstrap to get into recovery first to do the necessary installing.

Is this your first experience with a rooted phone or have you had a rooted device before? And also just so I know what OS is your X running now, 2.2 or 2.3?

OP
Parkhum

Parkhum

Reaction score
Idiot...

Just kidding. Unless you are already running certain ROMs then installing with ROM Manager will not work. You need to use bootstrap to get into recovery first to do the necessary installing.

Is this your first experience with a rooted phone or have you had a rooted device before? And also just so I know what OS is your X running now, 2.2 or 2.3?

Haha. Awesome.
Ummm...I rooted my OG Droid a long time ago. So yes and no. It's my first experience rooting the DX.
It's running 2.3

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok one more question then. What are you trying to install? Because that will make a difference.

OP
Parkhum

Parkhum

Reaction score
Ok one more question then. What are you trying to install? Because that will make a difference.

I was trying to install one of the Liquid Smooth roms.
I know that some require you to flash back to the .320/.340 SBF. Should I do that?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes if you want to flash liquid then you will need to be on .340.

This is where the Dx/D2/locked bootloader becomes a pain lol.

Once you SBF you need to root your phone. I always use z4root 1.3.0.
After you root then you need bootstrap to get into recovery to install liquid. I recommend D2 bootstrap because it plays better with GB when you decide to upgrade.
Once you have liquid installed you can no longer use bootstrap. Because of the type of ROM it is you will need to SBF if you use it.

OP
Parkhum

Parkhum

Reaction score
Damn. It almost doesn't seem worth it. haha.
Any good DX roms that don't require that much work?
Or is that pretty much the norm?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
It is a lot of work. And right now it is a bit of a tough spot because some ROMs require you to be on .340 and others require .596 or .602. Thankfully some really great devs are working on getting more ROMs to work off .602 so we wont have to jump around so much. But either way you will need to get the bootstrap as I mentioned. It is the first way to get into CWR after rooting each time.

Right now I would highly recommend Apex 2.0.0 RC3. I have been running it for 3 days or so now and I am really loving it. It is not posted here I dont think but HERE is the link to Droid X Forums where it is posted.

To install it you will need to bootstrap into recovery and install it. While running it you will still need bootstrap each time you want to go to recovery.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
OP
Parkhum

Parkhum

Reaction score
Okay, awesome. I'm definitely gonna try that. Hope I don't brick it!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
As long as you can figure out how to SBF you should be OK in most circumstances.

And did something happen? I thought all it did was reboot when you tried ROM Manager or are you stuck at the M Logo?

OP
Parkhum

Parkhum

Reaction score
Oh no, nothing happened at all. I'm just saying I hope I don't in the future. haha

I've been reading up a lot on the whole "SBF" business, so I'm sure I can get it.
For the Apex ROM I don't have to flash back to .340 do I?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
O Ok good, made me nervous lol.
No you do not. You should be able to install it over .602.

If you are going to try flashing anything though I would highly recommend making sure you have the correct SBF file downloaded first. Then make sure you have RSD Lite installed and that it recognizes your phone. These are things you dont want to have to do once you have a problem but have them ready in case something happens.

And did you use the D3 one click method to root the OTA or did you get on GB another way?

OP
Parkhum

Parkhum

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help!
And yeah, I actually downloaded the correct SBF and RSD Lite the other day, to flash it back, but I didn't want to do it unless I had to.

So after I install the D2 boostrap then...damn.
I really am a n00b at this rooting thing. My apologies for all the simple questions!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Its OK. Once you have it installed open it up. There will be 2 buttons in there. Hit the top one, once it says success hit ok on the popup. Then hit the bottom button and it should boot you to CWR.