1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ROM Manager app

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Shelooga, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

is this as easy as it seems on youtube?? do i really just d/l this app and can install (almost) any custom ROM? including ones for ese81? as long as im rooted...

will i need to be rooted and using clockwork? i have sp right now. 4$ seems unbelievably worth it and so easy.

sounds too good to be true
  2. JWis

JWis New Member

yeah you can download the free version which gives you cyanogenmod and stock images i believe then if you want to theme that there are options once you purchase the lisence. When you run it the first option is to flash clockworkmod. its really conivienent
  3. tech44

tech44 New Member

yeah, it is that easy to use ,and you definitely need to be rooted! You can use just the free version if you want to "try before you buy".The paid one gives you more roms to choose from, plus some extra goodies.You need to have the free one installed anyways before you can use the paid one.
  4. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

it is worth it and easy download the free one first if you are going to but it for the 4 dollar one is just the contract you need the free one first for it to run
  5. Jer

Jer New Member

I installed the free version and want to try changing from DroidMod to CyanogenMod and the ROM option is grayed out. What am I missing here?
  6. necronomican

necronomican New Member

you have to click the top one that flashes clockworkmods recovory over sprecovery or your stock to get access to the roms and backups..
  7. Jer

Jer New Member

Then what? I clicked that, a pop up window asked me to verify if it was a Motorola Droid (CDMA) which I did then.... nothing. What's the next step?
  8. Dxun

Dxun New Member

Did it flash Clockwork? If it did you can select download ROM at that point and have at it ;)
  9. gardobus

gardobus New Member

When you click it and choose Droid, it downloads and then flashes the recovery. THEN you can flash clockwork, it won't be grey anymore.
  10. Jer

Jer New Member

Well, I click it and nothing seems to happen. I wait a while and still nothing. I closed the program and then opened again and I get an error message that says 'You must have the ClockWorkMod Recovery installed to flash and restore ROMs'

What am I doing wrong here?
  11. Jer

Jer New Member

Also, not sure if this is related or not but I rebooted the phone shortly after that because I needed to change the battery and upon rebooting I received the OTA 2.1 update message which I haven't seen in a month or more so I'm not sure what clicking that did but it appears to have done something I guess.
  12. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

You can load Cyanogenmod for free with the free Rom Manager. You can also load all the other roms for free from the free Rom Manager if you are smart enough to download the rom to your sd card on your own.... :) After you download whatever rom you want to your sd card you can use the free version to install it. So you can do everything from the free version if you are willing to do the rom downloading on your own.

However the Premium version (only 4 bucks) makes it easier and is a good way to show support. I purchased the premium version to give thanks.

Rom Manager is awesome! You can load any roms, make backups, use either Clockwork or Sprecovery. You can go back to stock 2.0.1 or rooted stock 2.1. (If you go back to stock 2.0.1 you will be asked within minutes to apply the 2.1 update by Verizon.)

Rom Manager is one of my favorite apps. And yes in order to use it you have to be rooted.
  13. gardobus

gardobus New Member

If you installed the 2.1 update then you just unrooted yourself. The only way to use rom manager now will be to use RSD Lite to go back to 2.0.1 and then reroot and reinstall RM.
  14. Jer

Jer New Member

No, I didn't install it. I'm still rooted. All I'm saying is that once again I'm getting the message again which I haven't seen in quite some time. This was after doing what I was told to do a few posts up so I'm not sure that it did what it was supposed to do but it did something. I need to know what it is I'm supposed to do becuase I thought I did what I was told but didn't seem to get the same things I was told I would get by doing so.
  15. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Okay when you go into Rom Manager, at the very top is "Flash ClockwordMod Recovery" and right under that is shows your current recovery and latest recovery. What does it say there?
  16. Jer

Jer New Member

Reboot into recovery. I think before it said reboot into something or another for manual mode so I guess it did work. I must have missed that before. So I assume I just click that and reboot into recovery and create a backup now and then I can proceed with a new ROM?
  17. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Noo I mean what does it say for your current and latest recovery? Are they the same?
  18. Sodner

Sodner New Member

Guess its not as simple as it appears in the video.
  19. Dan at Marquette

Dan at Marquette New Member

I don't know much else about the questions in this thread, but I will say I'm on DroidMod and for whatever reason it showed me the 2.1 OTA update again today for the first time since it launched. It has nothing to do with your ROM manager experiments. Just thought I'd let you know.
  20. Jer

Jer New Member

It doesn't show anything because I haven't yet rebooted into recovery. I assume this will allow me to create a backup and once that is done perhaps I will have some specs to give you but I think I've got it figured out now since that text I mentioned changed. I'll boot into recovery and create a backup and then I bet doors open up for me.