ROM Flashing

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Twitch043, Aug 27, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. Twitch043

Twitch043 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once again, I searched around and could find no answers, haha.

So I rooted (using the Universal Androot thing that was on the front page yesterday) and have ROM manager. I downloaded Bugless, I think .4, whichever is the latest 2.2 version. Anyway, I made a clockwork recovery. Do I need to back up my current ROM if I did a clockwork recovery? Because when I try to, my phone turns off, reboots, and then gets stuck on the screen with the !, triangle, and dead phone. When I power off and on, it boots fine.

Also, what (free?) program should I use to back up my apps/contacts/all that good stuff? I already had Astro File Manager and see that has a "backup applications" option, so I did that, but... it just makes me uneasy.

I did some searching and found Titanium Backup, the free version. Will this version be able to back up all of that stuff? And if so, how would I put everything it backed up on to my phone once I flashed the new ROM?

I just feel like I have a lack of... knowledge or that I'm not correctly backed up, cause I donMt want to lose anything. lol.

Thank you for any replies.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay I am a little confused. You said that you rooted and have rom manager installed, flashed bugless beast BUT when you boot into recovery you see a triangle with a ! in the middle. Well that triangle with the ! is the stock recovery which tells me that you do not have root.

When you go into rom manager, did you flash clockworkmod recovery (first option at the top of rm)? If you didn't then you need to (make sure to tap to select your phone when asked). If you did then scroll to the bottom of RM and try to flash SPRecovery then flash back to ClockworkMod. That should install the alternate recovery so that when you boot into recovery you will no longer see the triangle with ! in the middle.
  3. jaysnyder75

jaysnyder75 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the same problem with the !. I first step you mentioned. Haven't flashed a new ROM yet because I can't boot in recovery. Any help is appreciated

EDIT: never mind, was being a little slow today, one of those days I guess
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. Twitch043

Twitch043 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    aaaand now i cannot connect my phone to my computer. wont even charge; nothing happens. i dont know where i would have messed up. and the dial-up on my computer isnt working, so that has NO internet.

5. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +30
    yea try reflashing clockwork recovery using rom manager - like dlwhtrose said, the ! is the stock recovery.

and make sure the battery has good charge or youll end up getting stuck.
  6. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +60
    Are you running BB on your phone right now?
  7. Twitch043

Twitch043 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, i only downloaded it through rom manager, i never flashed it.

8. YankInDaSouth

Ratings:
    +60
    OK - got ya! Sorry, was a bit confused ... I agree with the above posts - go into RM and select the very first option. After that you should be able to flash BB.
  9. Twitch043

Twitch043 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    okay. do i have to worry about re-adding stuff? was backing it up all i had to do? and have any ideas about why i cant connect to my computer? or should i make another topic for that?

10. YankInDaSouth

Ratings:
    +60
    OK- did you backup your apps with either astro or titanium backup? And, more importantly, did you backup your current ROM with ROM Manager?
    If you answered yes to the above questions, I'd say try and flash your ROM and then see what happens after that with the connecting to the PC...
  11. Twitch043

Twitch043 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, out of being very paranoid i did all 3, haha. backed up with astro, titanium, and my current rom. However, upon trying to go into recovery mode, i still just got the triangle with the ! even after reflashing clockwork. maybe i should restore from the backup i made IMMEDIATELY after flashing clockwork the first time, and then unroot?

kinda thinking i should just start the whole process over a different way.

12. log

log Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Since others have advised what you need to do for the Recovery part, the only thing I could add might be check if you see the following icon in your apps drawer:
    [​IMG] or [​IMG]
    If not, like dlwhtrose said, you don't have root.

As far as Titanium Backup, many of the good things are only available in the premium version. I think the batch files are in that version which let you verify backups, do automated backups, restores, etc.

As far as applications, if you are worried about losing paid apps, logging into Google to activate your phone will still allow you to re-download those apps without paying again (as long as you use the same log-in). If you are worried about getting them back and spending the time looking for each in the Market, check out something like AppBrain or SlideMe. You can sync your apps to that, then re-install after flashing and it will speed up the process of getting all the apps back on your phone.
  14. Twitch043

Twitch043 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, right now i most certainly have the (sadly, pirate) superuser permissions icon. the before poster explained why stock recovery keeps being patched back on with his link.

so should i just restore to just-after root, unroot, and try rooting a more traditional method such as RSD lite or something?

15. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1

Yes, use link 3 in my sig to root and install a custom recovry, if not you bwill continue to have problems
Search tags for this page

rom manager flash clockworkmod dead