1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rom Flashing Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Taco, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Taco

Taco New Member

So I rooted my 2.2 Frg22D Stock Droid 1 using Motocache1's Root Any OS Guide.
    I have created 2 Nandroid backups (1 before root was obtained, and 1 after). I want to flash Lithium mod from this thread:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...d-source-built-awesomeness-themes-galore.html

My confusion lies in never having done a ROM change before. Do I have to wipe data/cache in order to flash this rom coming from FRG22D stock rooted? Also to do this all I have to do is put the file in my phones sd card root and name it update.zip then run sprecovery and choose install update.zip from sdcard yes?

Any/all help will be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

You should get into the habit of wiping data/cache before you flash a rom.
    Corinacakes came up with the idea of wiping, flashing the rom, theninstalling the DATA ONLY via Nandriod, and it works great. everything is backed up.

This is how I do it:
    Download the file
    Place it on the root of your SD card
    Rename it update.zip
    Boot to recovery.
    Make a complete nandroid back up (Advanced nandroid, choose ALL options)
    Factory reset 3 times
    Wipe cache 3 times
    go to the update menu
    Pick Allow update.zip
    THEN Install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)

Boot the phone normally
    touch the 4 corners to bypass the log in screen
    reboot to recovery
    nandroid restore
    restore ONLY the data
    reboot
    Enjoy the greatness of your new ROM

Always back up before you do anything to your phone (ROM, Kernel, or Theme) This way, if something boot loops your phone, you can go back to just before the boot loop happened. Save early, Save often!!!

Thanks Corinscakes: posted here:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ul...-froyo-extreme-8-0-0-droid-11.html#post795444
  3. Taco

Taco New Member

Awesome, thanks I'll give this a try.

Silly question maybe, why reset, clear cache 3 times each? Just for good measure or is there a legit method to it?
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

good measure. make sure everything in the cache is wiped. more importand to do the data though
  5. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Hmmm, thats interesting, i haven't heard of someone restoring their data that way. May I ask then, what would be the purpose of Titanium Backup? I think its a great app, and i've used it before and well worth the money for the donate version, but i'm just curious.

Also, wouldn't you, at some point, have to get back to log in screen to put in your info?
  6. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

this does work but i wouldnt rely on it. TI backup just in case

and what info would you have to put back in? data should restore it
  7. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Oh yeah huh? so after restoring data and rebooting, you wouldn't be taken to that log in screen. Cool. Thanks for the quick response.
  8. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

ive never done the restore data that way but i assume so
  9. Taco

Taco New Member

So after restoring the data using nandroid as Bob Dammit said to, would I have to restore any data off my Titanium backup or just my apps?
  10. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

Hello Taco,

From what they are saying no you wouldnt have to restore any other data because the google account will restore your apps automatically and the data restore peformed will restore all the data for the apps. But they are also saying you could make a titanium backup just incase. As a backup to the backup method incase everything doesnt restore correctly. Its always good to have options.
  11. Taco

Taco New Member

It booted fine til I did the Nandroid restore of Data, that boot looped me :/

So idk if I should even bother putting it back on my phone and just restoring using titanium cuz I might loop upon reboot anyway :/ Any ideas?
  12. Stoney0102

Stoney0102 New Member

I had the same issue going from Sapphire 1.0.0 to 1.1.0, tried to restore just data and it bootlooped me. I did a batt pull and and rebooted without recovery or trying to flash the data again and some how it booted with all data restored and Sapphire 1.1.0 still intact. I can only assume that it flashed all the data but got snagged on the last step. So when I rebooted again it skipped the snag. Eathier way this phone never stops amazing me.
  13. Taco

Taco New Member

I tried batt pull and reboot a few times, stuck in the loop so I nandroid restored and reinstalled the update.zip. I'm now going to just sign in my google account and try restoring my stuff via titanium.
  14. VingInMedina

VingInMedina New Member

Ok, My Turn for a question.

I tried to install UD 8.0. Actually, I didn't try, I succeeded. But anyway, I tried to do the data restore but the phone just boot looped on me and the BP didn't help. So, I restored and reinstalled UD. Booted up phone and signed into Google.

Now, here is my question. I reinstalled Titanium and asked it to restore my apps that I backed up before installing the ROM. Do I actually have to sit there and have it restore each app one at a time? Clicking on the Install button for each one?

I also noticed that the Market was attempting to download all of the apps I had on the phone. Was this Google attempting to get me back up and running or was this a feature of UD?

I know people are installing ROMs all the time, so there must be a better way and I am just not doing it.

For now I have just restored back to my original version until I get this figured out.
  15. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

As for you noticing the market was attempting to download all of the apps you had on your phone. You are correct after installing the rom and rebooting back up for the first time and then signing into your google account. Give it some time as your google account/market will restore all the apps that were on your phone before you installed the new rom. You should get a notification a few minutes after you boot back up saying something like 25 apps restored (the 25 being how ever many apps you had on your phone). The only difference after they are restored is what ever data you had saved in the app will be gone. So by data meaning any changes/settings you had setup in the app will have to be redone. Unless you made a titanium backup of system data then you can run the batch file that says restore all missing apps+system data. So as for sitting there and clicking install for every app. I suggest you make your backups by going into titanium selecting the menu button on your phone. Click batch then click backup all system data. That will make a backup of all your data. Now once you install the new rom and let the googleaccount/market restore all your apps you can then go into titanium again and click the menu button on your phone then click batch again then this time click restore missing apps + all system data. This will restore all the data you had saved in the apps that the market just restored for you so you shouldnt have to sit there clicking install on each individual app. Not sure if that is confusing to you cause Im at work and tried to type it up fast. But if it is confusing let me know and I will try to explain better.
Search tags for this page

is it necessary to clear data when flashing, android