Rom Everything!!! Including Your Google Chromecast!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,221
    [​IMG]

I have always been a big fan of hacking and customizing my hardware. I paid good money for it so I should be able to tinker with it if I please. I have been replacing firmware on all kinds of hardware since i was a teen. I guess Im just a geek, but there is nothing better than being able to make a good piece of hardware like your cell phone last years after it has been end of life'd by the OEM. Roms serve the purpose of allowing us to tweak our devices for maximum performance, if I could rom my refrigerator I would! Not too long ago the Chromecast was rooted. This was exciting because it paved the way for roms and other various hacks to come in the future. Google has stated that they won't be updating hardware in the Nexus lineup past 18 months which is better than some other companies, but this means that the Google Chromecast could face the same fate. I have a Logitech Review that is pretty much worthless these days as it slowly putters through old school honeycomb, and will never see a newer official update. With custom roms you can essentially future proof your new Chromecast.

Team Eureka has released their first rom for the Google Chromecast. Eureka-Rom is based on the 14975 stock image but includes a few extra cool features. This rom includes ROOTSSH/Telnet/ADB Access, Modify DNS servers, Google OTA's Disabled, Custom Boot Image, Custom OTA Update Engine, FlashCast Recovery Image, Custom Whitelisting, Web Based Control Panel (Get Device Info, Enable/Disable Team Eureka OTA Updates, Select Device Whitelist Provider, Enable/Disable Remote Services, Input Custom DNS Servers, Reboot/Reset Your device), and more! Installing this requires a FlashCast jump drive you can head to the link below for further installation instructions.

Via XDA

2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,934
    Interesting will keep an eye on it, but I must admit the chromecast is the only google device (scratch that chromebook as well) that I did not care about rooting. Don't get me wrong not against those that do as the awesome thing about this community is choice and I am not shy about exercising that choice as my note 2 is running 4.4.2 kit kat via an AOSP rom, but for what I use my chromecast for stock is perfect.

Still I am glad the development community is working on the chromecast and at 35 dollars if you make a mistake the loss is not so painful. In fact if I ever decided to get into rooting it I would buy another chromecast just for root and roms and leave the other stock. I already bought 3 chromecast devices (gave 2 away as Christmas gifts) so far and recommend it to everyone who watches netflix.

3. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Current Phone Model:
    Sony Xperia Z3
    For the most part I agree. I had my Droid 1 for over two years and at the end I had ROMs on it for versions of the OS that were never officially pushed to the device. However, nowadays I haven't had as much luck with running custom roms on my Droid 4. Even those the rom dev says it's meant for the Droid 4 often times it breaks more than it improves. My Droid 4 is flashed to work on a different carrier so there's certain built-in settings I need access to but often with custom roms I find I'm no longer able to gain access to those settings. I'd love to run android 4.4 kitkat on my droid 4 since I don't expect it to be officially released on the 1 year old device but it doesn't do me any good to run kitkat if my phone doesn't have service.

Search tags for this page
change dns kitkat xda
chromecast
chromecast eureka rom internet unavailable
chromecast rom

chromecast root

dns override for kitkat xda
flashcast custom dns
forum root chrome cast
override dns for kitkat hack

root chromecast after update