[ROM] Cortex - v3.00 [7.1.1 NMF26F][Dec 7, 2016]

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I found some info about clearing security so you can restore a different ROM backup

2 schools of thought.
Thanks guys. Either of you know code? That would really help too.
Ya, I'm a developer in the Win environment, C# - Some Java - though the syntax is close to C#, it's the libraries that are really different. XML yes, I have done some XML edit in Framework in the past. Not sure if my apk tools are current. And I don't have the Android development studio installed, though I certainly could do that with a little guidance.

Let me know what I can do, I'm working on a really huge FUBAR'd project at work, but certainly have a couple of hours a day I can devote.

I think it's so cool to have a dev here... Anything I can do I'm glad to.

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
I don't use Eclipse, or any other development studio to build my ROMs. I simply have the source, and build in command line. So much less work. :cool:

Here is my source. Setup info in the readme.

SteelDroid/platform_manifest · GitHub

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Not familiar with GitHub, we use Team Foundation Server. Care to point me to some reading material so I can get up to date ?

I'm guessing the "repo" command is a GitHub command.

The "Build" command ? - 'fraid I'm clueless, is that a script ?
What do you compile with ?

The more I think on this, the more I like it. I've kinda avoided development other than my personal theming adventures.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not familiar with GitHub, we use Team Foundation Server. Care to point me to some reading material so I can get up to date ?

I'm guessing the "repo" command is a GitHub command.

The "Build" command ? - 'fraid I'm clueless, is that a script ?
What do you compile with ?

The more I think on this, the more I like it. I've kinda avoided development other than my personal theming adventures.
The build command is for Linux Shell Scripts but I'm lost on the repo.

edit - Repo is to get from the repository, much like TFS's Get Latest Version.

GitHub Desktop I'm installing this.

New edit - Downloading the Source | Android Open Source Project

Last edited:

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The build command is for Linux Shell Scripts but I'm lost on the repo.
I just started reading the GitHub site, best guess repo is a GitHub command.

Linux commands for the build will be a challenge for me. Never done a dual boot machine, never used Linux.

But who says "Old Dawgs can't learn new tricks" - this could be the motivation for that....

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just started reading the GitHub site, best guess repo is a GitHub command.

Linux commands for the build will be a challenge for me. Never done a dual boot machine, never used Linux.

But who says "Old Dawgs can't learn new tricks" - this could be the motivation for that....
Repo isn't a GitHub command, it's Unix.

Requirements | Android Open Source Project

I've never used dual boot into Linux either. I'm installing the latest Ubuntu in VirtualBox, hopefully that works. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/virtualboxes.org/Ubuntu+15.04.ova.torrent 1.5GB. I'll have to download that at home. My Phone doesn't have that great of a connection here.

**Looks like both of us old Dawgs are going to be learning something.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
@chevycam94 - Question, I read the requirements for building - 16gb of memory for the build.. Really ? I have 8gb, tons of disk space, but not the memory.

Thinking of using VMWare Worksation to create the Ubuntu VM.. probably can get a license through work, we use it exclusively there to for our development platforms.

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
I'm sure you can build with less. Those specs are always overblown

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm sure you can build with less. Those specs are always overblown
Guess we'll find out. I'll start seeing about getting VMWare setup and may need some guidance setting up Ubuntu if you're willing..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why VMWare when VirtualBox is free and does the same thing?
Edit - Looks like VMWare is free too.

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Well, it looks like beanstown106 (just one of 6 developers that worked on PureNexus) is having a $h1t fit about me using his public, open source as a base for my ROM. You guys know me, I never bash on other devs. People have always been more than nice to me, and that's one reason I tend to stay here, rather than XDA or somewhere else. But beanstown just tried to report me to XDA administration for something I haven't even posted yet! :eek:

Of you hear rumors about me, I can guarantee they aren't true. Just a heads up!

This is what makes me want to stop development altogether.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Well, it looks like beanstown106 (just one of 6 developers that worked on PureNexus) is having a $h1t fit about me using his public, open source as a base for my ROM. You guys know me, I never bash on other devs. People have always been more than nice to me, and that's one reason I tend to stay here, rather than XDA or somewhere else. But beanstown just tried to report me to XDA administration for something I haven't even posted yet! :eek:

Of you hear rumors about me, I can guarantee they aren't true. Just a heads up!

This is what makes me want to stop development altogether.
Oh lovely.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Why do grown men act like "Old Women" -

I wonder if Chroma's developer would let you use his source as a base. I think it's a better base to tell the truth. Things that don't work on Pure Nexus work on Chroma. Like Voice & Data simultaneously on VZW to name the first that comes to mind.

I feel ya on XDA...

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ignorant question: How difficult is it to build a functional ROM straight from ASOP source ?

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Its not necessarily hard to build from AOSP, and have it be functional, thats where it all starts from anyway. But adding in EVERY new feature, by hand, and trying to keep up-to-date with all of the commits from those repos that you want to modify, takes a LOT of time. I dont have that kind of time.

Now that I think about it, I might as well go with Chroma. I'll download a see how good the ROM is for a start. But Ive already had to report 6 people to both GIT and XDA for harassment and spamming. Profanity in my commits on GIT, copy-paste messages to EVERY commit on my marshmallow branches on GIT.....yeah, Im pissed.

This is why I always liked it HERE. I thought I would broaden my users by posting to XDA as well, but this latest crap made me realize its not worth it. I dont get any money for doing this, even though Im at the computer at least 6 hours a night doing it. If I lose all the XDA people, fine, I dont care anymore. But Im going to be MUCH more particular about how I word my credits from now on. Like if I used a few commits from PureNexus, I'll credit him of course, but make it as small, and hard to find as possible. I need to separate myself from his name, before he drags me down with him.