1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rom after Rom and it's back to stock

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dlucid, Jan 17, 2010.

1. dlucid

dlucid New Member

I have tried many roms over the last few weeks and I just wanted to report that what i have found was that I really like the options and features of 2.1 whether from the direct rip of the N1 or with the 2.0.1 modified to include the 2.1 apps. With that being said, I have not experienced the speed and stability of the no root virgin 2.0.1 rom that I am back to now. from force closes to laggy screen changes and program speed it is now my evaluation that the official 2.0.1 release is by far faster and way more stable and for now outweigh the benefits of a rom not optimized for the droid. I am now waiting impatiently for the official 2.1 release and hope the user experience is online with 2.0.1. btw, flash can't arrive soon enough if u ask me. there is my $.02. what's your take?
  2. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

I'm extremely satisfied with 2.01 + 2.1 apps and the MT browser. It's still blazing fast even without overclocking. Once I get my MT keyboard, I'll be set for life. I tried the latest Sholes release and it just didn't seem any faster than normal.
  3. cc16177

cc16177 New Member

Where can I download this? I am currently running 2.1 and have looked around the forum a little to try and find a "good" rom but haven't been able to find much with any direct positive reviews.
  4. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

Sholes used to have a basic 2.01 + 2.1 apps + MT browser ROM, but they've added a lot to it since then.

Personally I just installed a fresh 2.01 and added the apps/browser myself.
  5. dlucid

dlucid New Member

My biggest complaint with the 2.01 + 2.1 apps rom is that when I would try to log back into the OS using the lock pattern it consistently could not keep up with my touch swipes and I would have to try multiple times and try to anticipate the lag. It seems our droids all act a little different with modified roms. Although now I am as usual contemplating trying just one more time, LOL. Droids hack addiction is hard to beat.
  6. Canefan

Canefan New Member

Same here. I've tried pretty much every ROM out there and am now completely back to stock for the same reasons as you. The only 2.1 app that I couldn't live without is the Gallery so I have that installed. Other than that, I'm just going to wait and see if anything comes along that piques my interest. If so, it's easy enough to re-root and give it a try. I for one don't believe that the official 2.1 will be released this week as the leaked memo from last November referenced a maintenance update for Jan 22. I'm guessing 2.0.?? with 2.1 to come in a month or two. The 2.1 source code was only released to developers last week. There is a lot that needs to be worked out to get it working bug free on the Droid and then it has to be tested and refined before it's released. No way it happens in two weeks time. But who knows? It's all conjecture for everyone at this point.
  7. brianr0131

brianr0131 New Member

Have you guys tried the lastes sholes.info ROM? I just used this (cleared data cache and system of course) and I installed most options but left off the 2.1 launcher (home screen) I installed the 2.01 with 5 homescreens though (love that). My Droid is absolutely FLYING at this point. I think a lot of the problems and slowdowns I had experienced were due to the home screen from 2.1.

I am very happy with my phone now.
  8. DROIDsys

DROIDsys New Member

I completely agree with vpshockwave and brianr0131. Using the latest Sholes release my phone is definitely faster than it's ever been. I personally haven't had any problems with FC even with the 2.1 launcher. The only thing I've had a problem with is the wifi tether, but at this point I could care less because of how stable it's running.
  9. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

I'm using the sholes rom right now, and there is nothing faster considering the browser and the ability to overclock. The 2.0.1 browser is pathetically slow. But to each his own and a sidemark, sholes isn't even in beta yet so keep looking for updates. As it can only get better lol
  10. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Ya i have to agree that sholes seems to blow the competition away.

Optimal setup requires a total wipe before installing, but once you do that it just screams.
  11. Jeremy556

Jeremy556 New Member

I just installed the latest shoals.info that was updated as of yesterday. I have tried just about every ROM and gone back to stock, but decided to give this a try. WOW. Even with the 2.1 launcher, it is unbelievably fast. No more lag in the browser when scrolling, no lag going back to the home screen, etc. It just flies.
  12. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I will admit it is very fast -- very speed optimized. I have some other problems with the ROM that has been documented elsewhere, but I think there might be a workaround. I sure wish however that the tethering worked for me however. I'm really stuck with this one!!
  13. Jeremy556

Jeremy556 New Member

Try reinstalling the ROM again.

I had 2 SU apps in the app list, and tethering didn't work for me after installing the latest shoals. After reinstalling it over, it worked.
  14. bL33d

bL33d New Member

Is this installed same as as a nandroid backup?
  15. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

No, instead of hitting backup/restore -- hit install, and choose from SDcard.
  16. bL33d

bL33d New Member

Scrolling is really faster? Like even on this site no lag?
  17. vpshockwave

vpshockwave New Member

I personally didn't feel any difference in the browser, but as someone states, seems like some of these roms differ performance-wise on a person-to-person basis.
  18. Jeremy556

Jeremy556 New Member

Yes.

I thought the browser scrolling lag after the 2.0.1 update was unbearable. On this site, and others (that were painful before) are perfectly smooth on the sholes 1.1 ROM.
  19. bL33d

bL33d New Member

Well crap I know what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow LOL.
  20. dlongb13

dlongb13 New Member

I have been running the sholes and birdmansv4 and cant decide which one i like better. They both run great on my phone and have the same features for the most part. The sholes has overclocking and tethering where the birdman does not. I know there is a way to make it work on any rom but I'm still a noob and dont wanna go outside my means. Bu they are both fast, just as fast as 2.01 from what I cam remember. If anyone whats to pm me a step my step procedure using terminal emulator to enable overclocking that would be great!!!:)
Search tags for this page
droid stock rom 2.0.1

pb31mg