[ROM] Affinity ROM [Beta]

Haiasi

Reaction score
My apologies for posting my rom announcement here so late, just been really busy and exhausted.

After finalizing the stability testing of the Affinity Alpha ROM, I'm proud to announce the release of the first beta.

Now before there are any misconceptions or hate towards this ROM, I would like to make a few things clear.

This is NOT an original piece of work. I didn't build this from scratch nor will I pretend I did. However, what I did do is assemble a working foundation to start building off of, making it possible to release more substantial updates and make this an almost blur-free experience.

Regarding the controversy surrounding c21johnson's MinimalX ROM:
Although it may be true that he based his release off of the Chinese DX2 ROM, which itself is the cause of the "moto input method" keyboard that doesn't work and not the result of him "adding a last minute feature that was taken out right before release and all traces weren't removed" (I'm paraphrasing), he did put a good deal of time into building his adaptation and making sure it was stable, and we should all give him credit where it is due.

My ROM is also based off of the CHS DX2 ROM and I would like to acknowledge both that development team and c21johnson's work which helped me understand how to begin and develop this project.

With this current release, not a whole lot has been done yet. However, most of the bloat has been removed, the Blur launcher has been replaced with Launcher2, and there has been some style modifications.

In the future releases, this is what I plan to accomplish:

• Full AOSP (This is about 25% done so far. I am currently dealing with some compatibility issue with the contacts, messaging and calendar apps.)
  • Rework the install process to actually format the system and preinstall folders for installing the rom, rather than just deleting each app manually.
  • CPU Frequency Scaling built in
  • Once I know app development a little better, I will release a toolbox similar to Liberty's to make edits, install themes, etc.

I'm sure more will come up along the way, but those are my highest priorities.

To install this ROM, you MUST be on an unmodified stock install. I tried installing over the stock ROM with a couple of system files missing and it ended up needing an SBF flash.

EDIT:
If you have a nandroid backup of the unmodified stock (except root and recovery) you can restore back and flash this ROM rather than SBFing.

1.) Download the ROM
2.) Place the ROM on your SD Card (internal or external is fine)
3.) Boot into Recovery (you need the bootstrap app to get to the correct recovery - www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/Bootstrap_signed.apk)
4.) Wipe DATA and Cache (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
5.) Install zip from SD Card (internal or external)
6.) Select the ROM and install it.
7.) Reboot

It should start up pretty quick, but if you are sitting around for more than 5 minutes on the boot logo or boot animation, you may have followed a step wrong.

IMPORTANT POST-INSTALL NOTE:
After installing and reaching the setup screen, skip the setup steps and get to the home screen. Then access the settings, go to language and keyboard and set either swype or multi-touch keyboard as your device.

If you enjoy what I've done so far, I appreciate donations. I spent about 20 hours in the past few days and had to do about 15 SBF flashes to get this to a stable point, and I will continue to put this amount of time on a regular basis. I'm really broke right now and I cant even afford a beer. Won't somebody buy me a beer or two, or six please!?!?!

Click here to donate!

Here are your Mirrors:

Mirror 1: http://bit.ly/q5Y3mc

Mirror 2: http://bit.ly/pLR61l

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy. Please use this topic to discuss any bugs or your feedback on the project.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

lwyatt100

Reaction score
I'm loving this ROM too so far. One possible bug that I've found. I went to add the Weather widget to the desktop. However, once I clicked Done after setting it up, it did not add to the desktop. In addition, the Long-Press no longer worked on the desktop until I restarted the phone. I also was not able to move icons around on the desktop once the Long-Press functionality went away until after restart.

lwyatt100

Reaction score
One other minor thing that I've found. The bluetooth does not automatically reconnect to my headset after restarting the phone. I have to restart my headset after the phone comes up.

greycobalt

Reaction score
A few questions I have about it...

First, is the launcher editable at all? If not, what's everyone recommend to do that? LauncherPro?

Second, what's everyone's general opinion on WidgetLocker? I love it, but I've read it can significantly slow stuff down, and when I looked at running programs one time, it was using 13mb, which was the highest by far.

Third, before I started testing out ROMs and just used Blur, I used the contact quick tasks a lot, just for speed dial purposes. With all the ROMs removing Blur, I haven't been able to use them, but I miss the speed dial icons like crazy. Is there anything anyone knows of that replaces them in a cool or equal manner? Thanks!

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
A few questions I have about it...

First, is the launcher editable at all? If not, what's everyone recommend to do that? LauncherPro?

Second, what's everyone's general opinion on WidgetLocker? I love it, but I've read it can significantly slow stuff down, and when I looked at running programs one time, it was using 13mb, which was the highest by far.

Third, before I started testing out ROMs and just used Blur, I used the contact quick tasks a lot, just for speed dial purposes. With all the ROMs removing Blur, I haven't been able to use them, but I miss the speed dial icons like crazy. Is there anything anyone knows of that replaces them in a cool or equal manner? Thanks!

The Stock Launcher Might Be A Little Customization Not Sure Never Used It. I Prefer Launcher Pro, But There's Also ADW And GOLauncher.

WidgetLocker Never Used It, No Idea.

To Restore The Speed Dial Icons You May Need To Push Certain APK's/.Odex's To The /system/app And Change Their Permissions.

greycobalt

Reaction score
I'm going to test out LauncherPro, I like it a lot so far. It also comes with a SenseUI-style speed dial thing, so we'll see how that goes. Pushing more files makes me feel like crying. I love the tweaks so far though, stuff seems to be flying.

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
I'm going to test out LauncherPro, I like it a lot so far. It also comes with a SenseUI-style speed dial thing, so we'll see how that goes. Pushing more files makes me feel like crying. I love the tweaks so far though, stuff seems to be flying.

If You Want You Can Flash The Post I Put Up Just Flash It As You Would A Theme. It's Got Alot Of Stuff Baked Into It And It's Deodexed Saving 30Mb On The System.

Oh And Some People Are Saying They Have A Problem With The Text Messaging App. Maybe You Won't Good Luck If You Decide Too.

greycobalt

Reaction score
Yeah I did, and it's awesome. :) Thanks. I just spent the last hour setting everything up on it, so hopefully I don't have to flash/wipe anything for a while!

greycobalt

Reaction score
Why'd you close your other thread Mike?

I've been loving Affinity and especially the tweaked stuff Mike put up. But, I found out today when I get MMS messages, I can't view them or the app crashes. It doesn't actually close out, it just pops up with 'The application Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' After that it just puts me back to the main message screen.

Is there some file or something I can copy over to fix that? It's a bit annoying. :(

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Why'd you close your other thread Mike?

I've been loving Affinity and especially the tweaked stuff Mike put up. But, I found out today when I get MMS messages, I can't view them or the app crashes. It doesn't actually close out, it just pops up with 'The application Messaging (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' After that it just puts me back to the main message screen.

Is there some file or something I can copy over to fix that? It's a bit annoying. :(

Sorry About That, Here Take This Mms.apk And Overwrite The Original One Inside /system/app

Change The Permissions As The Picture Below. Reboot Phone.

Hopefully That Should Correct The Force Closing.

Attachments

• Mms.zip
    573.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Permissions.jpg
    Permissions.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 380

greycobalt

Reaction score
Worked perfectly. Thanks. :)

Another question though, since losing the Blur quick-dial widgets, I've been trying to use the LauncherPro 'People' widget to dial and whatnot. However, 2 of my contacts won't show up with pictures, and I can't figure out why. If I go to them manually in my contacts directory, they both show up with pictures. But any attempt to put them on a quick-dial screen shows a grey portrait. Verrrrry annoying. Any idea why this would be happening? I've tried removing the Facebook account/re-adding it/uninstalling the app and everything else I can think of.

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Worked perfectly. Thanks. :)

Another question though, since losing the Blur quick-dial widgets, I've been trying to use the LauncherPro 'People' widget to dial and whatnot. However, 2 of my contacts won't show up with pictures, and I can't figure out why. If I go to them manually in my contacts directory, they both show up with pictures. But any attempt to put them on a quick-dial screen shows a grey portrait. Verrrrry annoying. Any idea why this would be happening? I've tried removing the Facebook account/re-adding it/uninstalling the app and everything else I can think of.

To Be Honest Not A Clue. I'm Just Glad We Got Your Text Messaging Back Working, And That One Is SOOO Much Better Than Stock.

xgrinder911

Reaction score
Hey Haisai if you ever need anything tested im your man, im really handy at fixing my phone so don't worry jus tell me what to do!

Im trying to start a new DROID X2 tester so if anyone needs testing jus contact me!

DX2