[ROM][3.9.2011] Superclean 2.9 EA15/EB01/EB16 Based

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
All credit goes to Adrynalyn over at XDA for this awesome work...

Orig link: [ROM][3.9.2011] Superclean 2.9 EA15/EB01/EB16 Based - xda-developers

icon1.gif
[ROM][3.9.2011] Superclean 2.9 EA15/EB01/EB16 Based

The last superclean thread became totally unmanageable due to its sheer size. It was growing at a rate of three pages or more a day, and its impossible with a thread that size to find answers to questions already asked.

Original thread is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910921

So I am redesigning this thread to be a little more useful, and get some preliminary data out of the way.

So, without further adue:

FAQ

Q: What is superclean?

A: Superclean is a Samsung based rom, that was not built from source. Roms of this nature are typically copy and paste, zipped moddifications of OEM roms. This is no exception and I make no allegations to anything other than that.

Q: Why not source built?

A: As awesome as a source built, or aosp rom is, not everything is working yet. The folks working on aosp are far smarter than me. So while I can build roms from source, I myself lack the required knowledge to fix that which is broken, and Samsung went too far off the reservation for me to do much with it.

Q: I thought jt1134 made the superclean roms?

A: Quite true. Once he started working on aosp full time, he handed the reigns to me, as he didn;'t have the time to keep maintaining it. However, what started as a continuation from his work, ported to DL09 Eclair, has now taken a life and direction of its own, since EB01.

Q: Is superclean just a stripped rom?

A: Yes, and no. I stripped A LOT of touchwiz apps from it, modified the touchwiz framework, and replaced the launcher with that from Gingerbread. This aint no sippin' tea. Once the touchwiz apps were removed, I removed A LOT of the verizon framework, and some of the Samsung framework (drm). Then, modifications were made to current apps and framework, by me and other folks in the community. Bing has been removed, and completely eradicated. Visual voice mail, has been eradicated, and the dialer even has a proper working voice mail button (mapped to google voice). The car dock has all working functions, minus Bing. Unlike the original car dock with EB01, this one even has a car dock dialer.

Q: Is superclean based on EB01?

A: Not entirely. Since 2.6, it has been a mixture. EA15, and EB16 are test roms meant for USCC. In many ways, they are superior, but we cannot use them directly. So I parted them out.

Most apps were EB16. This includes the bluetooth functions. All hardware, touchwiz, maps, and obex framework is from EB16. The rest of the framework is from EB01. The car dock application is from EA15.
Many of the audio libs are from EB16, as well as some audio configurations kept in /system/etc.

Q: What files have been modified for extra/better functionality in superclean?

A: As of 2.8:

Framework.jar
Android.policy.jar
Framwork-res.apk
twframework-res.apk
CarCradle.apk
Settings.apk
Browser.apk
Camera.apk
Mms.apk

Google apps were updated, as well as a few added. The rom is deodexed, allowing for mods and themes, while saving space. It is zipaligned, which can lower ram useage of apps.

Q: How is battery life?

A: Battery life is a mixed bag. Some find it awesome, some find it horrible. This is currently out of my hands. All Froyo versions and roms currently have their issues with keeping the phone from sleeping. While I made not have these issues, many do, and it cannot be denied that there is a problem somewhere. There is no one direct cause that I have found, as of yet.

Some tips that have helped others:

Turn off GPS when not in use.
Open/close Maps.
Turn off auto rotate when not in use.
Try DL09 modem.

Q: Why does my GPS suck?

A: Samsung decided to change some things for the GPS in Froyo. I don't have the specifics, but in short, it doesn't work quite as well as it did for DL09. There is no longer a gpssetup app, although ephemeris data is still beuing pulled. I myself don't have too much issue, but some do.

Some tips that have helped others:

Turn on GPS from Settings, not QuickPanel, at least for the first time.
Make sure Google Location services is enabled.
Try to lock on, while outside.
Download GPS Aids from the market.

--Make a point of not bothering with Verizon Location services. I'm sure they worked great, but I removed them due to them not working with anything but Verizon authorized apps. As you probably already guessed, Google Maps is not one of those. So enabling it, does nothing, as the framework, permissions, and apps needed for it are removed.

Q: Why can't I get my MMS while connected to wifi?

A: Make sure Data is still enabled in Quick Panel. When MMS is received, your connection will use 3G to download it, and 3G alone. If you miss it the first time, chances are it will never download.

Q: I cannot send and/or receive text messages?

A: You need AT LEAST, a DL09 modem with this rom.

Q: I installed a theme, and now the phone crashes and <insert function> no longer works?

A: I encourage folks to use themes, but I cannot support them. Please discuss this with the theme owner. Thanks!

Q: My phone goes to sleep, only to never wake up!

A: I'd love to take credit for this, but cannot. This seems to be a common Froyo bug. I have been unable to track it down, but it seems to happen MUCH less frequently to those who do NOT restore with Titanium backup. So I've little doubt its a rogue app(s) out there.

Q: I cannot use the back button in Contacts!

A: Try recreating your Contacts shortcut.

Q: I need an app you removed, where do I get it?

A: I include patches with my rom, in a list. If you don't see something, let me know, and I will do my best to get it to you.

I will add to this Q and A as time goes on.

Some other useful tips given by members:
Originally Posted by Gizmodroid Always, always, always make sure you use latest working CWM recovery before flashing the new OS (the days of red vs. green are over. Red works for both). The odin file found in jt's thread is the one you want.

If you return to a stock package that includes a stock recovery and kernel then your phone will overwrite CWM when you reboot. So after you odin the CWM recovery, do not let it boot fully before flashing superclean.

SuperClean installs the latest CWM during it's install. Do not flash CWM after the SuperClean. At best, it is unnecessary. At worst, you are flashing an older file.
Some general tips:
Flash the rom, preferably when the device is full on battery.
Clear dalvik-cache, via cwr, and if you have problems still, consider a data wipe.
Do not restore data via Titanium backup, although apps, *should* be ok. If you have problems after restoring data, I promise, its not by my doing.
Change wifi sleep policy under wireless settings to never when plugged in.

Now for the fun stuff, the rom!

I release superclean in two versions currently, voodoo and non voodoo. It includes recovery kernels for both. These roms support clockwork recovery 3.0 ONCE INSTALLED. They cannot be installed with CWR 3.0, due to serious issues I had with Edify scripting. This goes with the patches as well. Some, if not all of this probably stems from the fact that we are using BML partitions, while the rest of the sane world uses MTD. It may also be that I need an update binary from Samsung and not Google. I'll have to investigate that.

Patches are all installed via cwr 2.5.x, along with the rom.

Screenshots:
snap20110214_155759.png
SC20110214-215739.png
snap20110214_215906.png
snap20110214_215930.png
snap20110214_215940.png
snap20110214_215951.png
snap20110214_221134.png
SC20110226-142926.png
SC20110308-144940.png
SC20110309-010546.png

Changelog:

--Full rom again.
--Based upon EA15/EB01/EB16/EC10
--Contains EC10 kernels, with fake hotspot monitoring module.
--Some framework reworked to remove what I believe to be the LAST of Bing.
--Auto restore of apps should no longer happen (nor is possible).

Voodoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?fwtcpfq9eabd2z1

Nonvoodoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?rliail822sin8gj

--Just a small note. I didn't get a lot of feedback from my testers or IRC, so please note issues (not via PM!). Thanks.

Changelog:

2.9.1 patch (Requires 2.9, DO NOT FLASH IF YOU WANT TO KEEP LOCKSCREEN MUSIC CONTROLS!!!)

--Tweaked the GPS in an attempt at faster locking.
--Removed aosp and rotary music controls as there were crashes and random reboots reported (for me as well).
--Added media scanner tweak scripts. Run from adb shell or terminal emulator (with su)
fast_media disables system scanning
default_media puts it back to default
Both will reboot you after running.
Note: if you wipe while fast_media has been set, you will lose your ringtones and media sounds until you set default_media.

Voodoo and Nonvoodoo compatible
http://www.mediafire.com/?7g5yzakr5s778yx

2.9:

--Moved backed to tried and true eb01 kernels. Sorry tetherers, the modded eb16 kernels were just way too unstable.
--Made certain non voodoo had latest recovery.
--Music controls on aosp and rotary lockscreen, credit to sbrissen.
--Modded Development settings to include working settings to keep screen on while charging.
--Messaging application has been modded to have the goofy Samsung colors toned down some. Thanks, kenesis. Ported from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=938465
--Re-added verizon location services framework in an attempt to get better working GPS.
--Contacts have been reverted back to eb01 for stability.
--Date and time are now in the notification bar.
--tw calculator added back in. Lets face it, its more functional.

FOR THOSE WITH TIME LAG ISSUES:

Some testing has been performed in IRC, and beautiful Widgets may be the culprit. If you have it, uninstall it and see how things go.

ROM:
Non voodoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?ee5l6mkr3bkpdgt

Voodoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?cyy0m2zsl2vwxgl

Last edited:

Jerome900

Reaction score
Hey tap have u tried this one yet. Was wondering your feedback. Im pretty happy with 2.8. Not sure about the battery issue but it could b now i use the damn thing more. Lol. Its more fun to play with now.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
yea im running it right now...smooth as butter so far......im running stock v2.9 just fixed perm and did bstats script as well....flashed DX lockscreen mod and havent really had a chance to test battery...I will tonight and repost tomorrow

so far so good :)

Jerome900

Reaction score
So u think its worth moveing on uo to 2.9? I trust your judgement. U havent steered me wrong. Thanks for the input..

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
So u think its worth moveing on uo to 2.9? I trust your judgement. U havent steered me wrong. Thanks for the input..

Def...lockscreen music controls is enough for me lol
Its reverted back to pure EB01 kernels so tethering is a no go for now since they were unstable at best....Id say all in all its you personal preference....

Jerome900

Reaction score
Sorry to bug u more but is it an odin file or cwm

dr bud

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with 2.8 so far, but will probably do 2.9 just because.I'll wait a bit.Soon there will be 2.10,etc:)Lol.Keeping up with the Jones's.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
I just went voodoo... can anyone point me a kernel to oc 1.2? Or does dirrks kernels for eb01 still work?

sc 2.9v
midnight theme

millwood

Reaction score
Super simple and went well when I upgraded from SC 2.5. Just downloaded, put the .zip file on SD card, held down the power button on phone, clicked recovery menu option, installed update.zip (as it booted into blue recovery), cleared cache and davlik cache, installed SC2.9.zip and reboot. Everything seems to be running great. Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

P.S. updated some of the colors on this one for messaging and the pull down screen. I kind of like it.

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just went voodoo... can anyone point me a kernel to oc 1.2? Or does dirrks kernels for eb01 still work?

sc 2.9v
midnight theme

no kernels are available for overclocking Froyo yet as source codes have not been released....just be patient 1ghz Voodoo is fast enough coupled with Froyo for now

Jamis0n

Reaction score

sc 2.9v
midnight theme

no kernels are available for overclocking Froyo yet as source codes have not been released....just be patient 1ghz Voodoo is fast enough coupled with Froyo for now

Ty. I saw a signature on xda that it as froyo and OC'd so I had to ask. Patience? I got plenty, =D..

sc 2.9v
midnight theme

jr313

Reaction score
Trying out now...just got my fascinate about 2 days ago and have it in beast mode (rooted) does the honeycomb theme work with build also?

Jamis0n

Reaction score
There might be one out there. I like midnight theme than they others. Ill post a link in the morning with a directory to most themes.

sc 2.9v
midnight theme