Roll back FRG83D to FRG22D

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by COBug, Dec 19, 2010.

1. COBug

COBug New Member

I've searched for a discussion thread regarding the issue explained in the title but had no success. I hope I'm not asking an old question:

My story:
    Rooted droid1 using motocache1's instructions on sticky - FRG22D.
    Wanted FRG83D, so unrooted using jntdroid's instruction - Hate corporate sync problems with previous versions.
    Being impatient, decided to push FRG83D and was worried that by doing that, I hadn't gotten all of the updates pushed OTA.
    So, I replaced upload.zip with a5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip renamed upload.zip and installed in recovery mode. This failed and installation was aborted (I can't remember the error message at present).

After many attempts, decided to restore the most recent nandroid backup, hoping it would work - VOILA, rooted FRG22D. Unrooted and waited, got my FRG83D OTA update, then rooted again.

My question, and it's a stupid question, is whether FRG83D updated droids (unrooted) could be rolled back to FRG22D?

I have a friend who sounds like she has a defective OS installed OTA which sucked prior to the FRG83D and continues to suck afterwards. I thought that it would be possilbe to install this proven copy of FRG22D then have her do the OTA update. Did my problems with installing a5e329b00288.signed-voles-ota-50454.zip occur because this is a normal problem trying to roll back an update or for some other reasons. Thanks guys, and keep up the good work.
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    You can install FRG22D via the Master OTA file. I can provide links. And you need to rename it update.zip NOT upload.zip or it will fail.

Also, you can root FRG83D if you are interested.
  3. COBug

COBug New Member

Thanks!

Sorry, it was super late and I realized that put the wrong name to rename the file. That's what I've already done, renamed to update.zip and put it in the root folder, then used stock recovery and and tried to install the FRG22D (after I had already updated it to FRG83D).

Thanks for the offer about helping me to root. I used Motocache1's method again (the forum members had reported that it did INDEED root the phone in any OS) and rooted my FRG83D updated phone.

Do you think my mistake the first time, in trying to install the FRG22D after first unrooting and manually updating to FRG83D, was that I had unrooted and had stock recovery from which to try to install the update?
  4. furbearingmammal

You can't install a non-Verizon/Motorola-signed update.zip from stock recovery. It's not as picky as the X/2 bootloader (or the Milestone bootloader, for that matter), but it's still picky.
  5. COBug

COBug New Member

Got it, thanks so much for the info. I think that resolved the dilemma. Figured that if my friend shows up with her FRG83D updated motodroid, I will root with motocache1 method, copy the update.zip for FRG22D, then install that one. Then unroot again. I'll at least try this method. I'm probably doing some noob nonsense that makes it more laborious and unnecessary but given the lack of experience and knowledge regarding hacking smartphones, this is probably the best I can do. Thanks for you help, Mr Mammal.
  6. furbearingmammal

Happy to help.

I'm still unsure as to the why of you rolling back the update, or rooting to do the rollback (and yes, I read the OP but you didn't explain it well) since that should work with the stock recovery image, but I'm sure you have your reasons.
Search tags for this page

signed voles frg22d master ota .zip