Rogue Droid - HUGE ISSUE!!!!

bje1982

Reaction score
Ok, so my motorola droid made me think I was losing my mind, without a doubt. Why?

Wednesday morning I wake up around 5am, go to the bathroom, on the way back by I notice my phone is lit up and surfing the web. WHAT?????? it is on face book, on the registration page. I pick up the phone, unplug and start looking. It has responded to an email to 15 of my coworkers with a blank body message. It has attempted to send 3 or 4 text messages, they are marked as drafts.....

Ok, I am known to sleep walk and start to blame myself.

Thursday night into Friday morning. 3am our dog wakes me up, I go to get back in bed and realized the phone is lit up and panning through home pages. WTF!!!!!!!!! I look, 4 missed calls, 4 new texts. I start looking and the phone called my parents, my neighbors, a client, has again attempted to send text messages, and has sent a blank email to one of my other email accounts.

I made my wife look at it, she agreed something was going on and that I was not sleep walking and that I was not crazy. My neighbor and parents are freaked out thinking we are being robbed or something. My neighbor walks over to check on the house, nothing going on. My dad said that it sounded like my son had the phone pushing buttons.

I download a droid virus scanner thinking someone is hacking my phone at night or something. No viruses. Ok, maybe magnets for the dock and something related to my dresser, I move to an end table.... same thing. I noticed with it plugged in the buttons at the bottom (back, menu, home etc) do not work properly, its more like touch gestures in the screen. My wife asks me, which charger is that... uh oh its the new one. I put the one that came with the phone back in and it works fine. So I take the "bad" charger up to the office and plug the phone in. Go back downstairs to get coffee, come back up again and the phone (the devil :) :icon_ devil: ) has decide to repeatedly launch this new virus scan application.

SO............... this charger is causing this phone to do some really really really odd stuff. Call people, send emails, send txt messages etc. I bought a pack of charger/case on ebay for like 6 bucks. Just to give something to put the phone in on my side until seidio comes out with cases. I used this charger because it has a longer cord than the factory one.

I guess BE CAREFUL OF AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES. Anyone else find this really odd?

Video of the virus scan phenomenon from this morning.
YouTube - Crazy Rogue Motorola Droid

This is not odd at all.. Technically speaking using aftermarket chargers voids your warranty.

But I used an aftermarket car charger and the same thing happened.

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
I've been having issues since I started using some other chargers I bought since the one that came with the phone was too short. But one was an OEM motorola and the other was direct from Verizon, so i was not using any cheap 3rd party chargers. I also bought an Otterbox case at the same time that i bought these extra chargers.

Webpages would zoom in and out like crazy when all i was doing was scrolling. When typing on the virtual keyboard, i'd get multiples of the same letter or a letter on the opposite side of the keyboard than the one i actually pressed. Of course, I assumed it was the chargers since it only happened while my phone was plugged in. The voltages and output should be fine though.

But I noticed something interesting today. The phone only acts crazy when the Otterbox case is on while charging. When i remove the case there are no problems. So i'm starting to think its not a charger problem, but something about the case. The case doesn't cause the micro-usb to not connect correctly, but it's gotta be something else about the case. It just doesn't make sense otherwise. But the case doesn't cause problems when it's not charging, so i really don't get it.
seem pretty weard im geting that case soon i hope it doent mess with my droid

ctedgeman

Reaction score
I've been having issues since I started using some other chargers I bought since the one that came with the phone was too short. But one was an OEM motorola and the other was direct from Verizon, so i was not using any cheap 3rd party chargers. I also bought an Otterbox case at the same time that i bought these extra chargers.

Webpages would zoom in and out like crazy when all i was doing was scrolling. When typing on the virtual keyboard, i'd get multiples of the same letter or a letter on the opposite side of the keyboard than the one i actually pressed. Of course, I assumed it was the chargers since it only happened while my phone was plugged in. The voltages and output should be fine though.

But I noticed something interesting today. The phone only acts crazy when the Otterbox case is on while charging. When i remove the case there are no problems. So i'm starting to think its not a charger problem, but something about the case. The case doesn't cause the micro-usb to not connect correctly, but it's gotta be something else about the case. It just doesn't make sense otherwise. But the case doesn't cause problems when it's not charging, so i really don't get it.
seem pretty weard im geting that case soon i hope it doent mess with my droid

I don't really know for sure what the problem is, i just thought it was weird that i only had problems when it was charging with the case on.

A lot of people have them and i've never read any complaints about it so it may just be specific to my case/phone. I haven't tried using the original charger with the case on yet, so i'll try that when i bring it home from work tomorrow. I guess that'll tell me for sure if it's a charger issue or a case issue.

pete7230

Reaction score
Here I thought I'd just discovered something new. My Droid charges just fine with the old Verizon charger I had from my LGnv2. Works fine all the time. My wife had picked up a couple cheapo charges on eBay and they worked fine on our nv2's. But, when I plugged in my Droid to one of those cheapos, holy crap... The screen started going bonkers. It scrolled through every one of my screens, plus browser, email, messaging, photos, you name it, it went there. Scared the crap out of me. My new Droid going crazy. We were all the way across the country when this happened too. Luckily, I had packed the charger that came WITH the Droid, just in case, and when I plugged it in, VIOLA. Life was good.

So, it seems as long as you use an original Verizon charger (whether it came with the Droid or another phone), you're home free. Try going 'cheap' and you're likely going to get screwed. :cus:

I am using the stock Motorola wall charger. Last week my phone dialed my nephew and my wife in the middle of the night. I woke up this morning to the Droid playing a couple of videos on youtube. Then it tried to dial someone when the screen was locked.

Also, if I power down the phone then plug it in to the charger it will turn on again. If I power down the phone while it is plugged into the charger it will turn itself back on again. It does not do this if the USB cable is connected to my computer and not the charger. :angry:

Gillyanne

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VZW Note 3
Also, if I power down the phone then plug it in to the charger it will turn on again. If I power down the phone while it is plugged into the charger it will turn itself back on again. It does not do this if the USB cable is connected to my computer and not the charger. :angry:

I'm not sure about some of the other troubles (mine have been hit or miss, I've had randomness happen, but not lately), as for if it's plugged in charging and turning on, i believe in the instructions (or somewhere) it states the droid doesn't turn off if it's charging, that's why it comes back on, that's not anything "rouge" or defective...

idulfingz

Reaction score
different every week, you would have to ask
PLEASE HELP ME:( I charged my phone while traveling india with the charger provided by verizon. The first time i woke up and it was on a different background and playing music, the second time it looked as if i had installed a new rom or did a data wipe, it was a blank grey standard screen with random icons added to it... i have since cleared all data and cache, I have tried two different nandroid restore, one of ultimatedroid from over a month ago, and one of buglessbeast 1.0 that i made just before my trip.. at the moment my phone when i push the power button will do all sorts of crazy things on its own.... if i try to hit my music widget it starts an email for example, or the drawer slides down and wobbles very fast until clicking a new option....... It would appear that my phone is fked, but if anyone has any ideas i can try before getting a new one from asurion, please let me know... thanks

pete7230

Reaction score

I'm not sure about some of the other troubles (mine have been hit or miss, I've had randomness happen, but not lately), as for if it's plugged in charging and turning on, i believe in the instructions (or somewhere) it states the droid doesn't turn off if it's charging, that's why it comes back on, that's not anything "rouge" or defective...

I can turn it off when it is charging if it is connected to the PC. If it is connected to the wall charger I cannot turn it off. That is really strange.

TwiztidChef

Reaction score
I just wanted to double check here. I was having pretty much the same problems. If I use the USB that came with my phone and plug it into the wall. No problems. If I plug it into my laptop(a Toshiba Satellite), the screen goes haywire. It takes multiple attempts to mount the phone. I called tech support, and they told me I wasn't supposed to use the phone when it was mounted. That sounds kinda dumb to me. I talked to the verizon store close to me and they told me I can trade it in for a new one. This seems to be a common problem. Its not that big a deal, but I'm still under the 30 day limit, so I can get a new one immediately for free. Is this going to fix it? Or is this because of the power coming out of a laptop USB port?

mondieu1724

Reaction score
Solution - Cache and Dalvik Cache

My Verizon car charger stopped functioning a year ago and I've been using an inverter with a Blackberry Tour charger plugged in to charge my Droid. Horrible results of course as the screen has always been unresponsive. But it went completely rogue last week after I first dropped it on concrete - slight ding on case and 3 minute hunt for the battery - then installed latest CM7. Later on a brief road trip I plugged into the inverter but when I disconnected from the charger it began sending rogue emails and phone calls and surfing the web on its own.

I had to reboot into recovery wipe and nandroid restore. Now that is where I made my mistake as things just got progressively worst. I unrooted, installed 2.01 OS, still with same problem. Portions of the screen were inoperable as typing a "j", "k", "p" all sent the letter "a" as input. It certainly seemed like it was hardware related. So I went to Verizon; their techs concurred, and they have a guaranteed like new replacement coming to me.

However, when I returned home I decided to give it one more go. I reinstalled Rom Manager, booted into recovery and wiped cache and Dalvik cache maybe 30 times apiece. I also wiped Data the customary 3 times. I then reinstalled CM7 -winneroo's latest along with Prime's Deprimed kernel and GAPPS of course.

Success, the phone is performing like new! Screen is responsive in all areas. I am only using the original charger and will order another spare battery for automobile use rather than subject it to the inverter in the car.

I will probably switch this device for the Guaranteed like-new replacement as the manufacturers warranty was actually 12 days past and they (Verizon) were astonishingly kind enough to honor the warranty anyway!

shopfpct

Reaction score
I bought a cheap Travel Charger Type TGR-025 (china) from an Ebay seller for my phone. I noticed that it buzzed when I plugged it in several days ago (tried with different outlets in the house) and today I used my Galaxy with it and I was texting at the same time it was plugged in. Ouch, it shocked me and radiated through my body. I'm throwing this away. I joined this forum just to warn you guys. If it's a cheap rip off charger, throw it away! Thanks.

jacint

Reaction score
Charging with Brookstone International Adapter

This adapter has connectors for both the phone wall connector and the USB. In the UK recently I charged up My Droid3 by plugging it into one of the USB ports; it showed that it was charging so I went down to dinner. 90 minutes later the phone was indeed charged - and it had made more than 120 calls back to the US to entries in my Recently Called list and to itself! Cost, according to VZW, $298. Brookstone have agreed to refund the cost of the adapter, I'm still in discussions with VZW.

On an earlier comment in this thread that you can't use the phone while it's connected to a laptop via the USB, I do it everyday and it works perfectly.