Roger Goodell defends his decision on Ray Rice

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ray-rice-and-wife.jpg
The media this past week has hammered the Commissioner's office for his punishment for Ray Rice. For those who are not aware Ray Rice was caught on camera dragging his unconscious wife out of the elevator. Roger Goodell says his decision was based on the fact that Ray Rice was a first time offender. Critics argue that the office is sending a bad example punishing players who use drugs longer than some one who was involved in a domestic abuse.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11296166

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah, that suspension could have probably been a little longer. Players are being suspended longer for smoking marijuana, which is legal in more places than ever and decriminalized in more. Oh yeah, the NFLs fail level wouldn't even get you noticed in the Olympics or any other sport.

Meantime, in the real world, I'm pretty sure domestic violence is illegal everywhere and severe penalties to those that are accused. Get popped for marijuana and you get a ticket/fine and go about your night. (Unless you have a significant amount)

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally, I would be fired for domestic abuse. Of course, I'm in law enforcement, and he's a professional athlete, but IMO, he should also be fired. He is supposed to be setting an example.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally, I would be fired for domestic abuse. Of course, I'm in law enforcement, and he's a professional athlete, but IMO, he should also be fired. He is supposed to be setting an example.
I have learned a long time ago that people who are famous have a longer leash than the rest of us. Love my niners but had Aldon Smith been an average dude or was no longer a valuable player he would be behind bars. Despite this last incident Roger Goodell for the most part has made a significant difference with discipline compared to years past. But since the owners pay his paycheck he can only do so much as Jerry Jones and the other owners are not going to want to see the numbers dwindle because their star player is sitting in a cell. As long as you can produce on the field you can practically get away with murder. The second you become irrelevant and go back to normal society those billion dollar owners are not willing to pay...urghh encourage the law that it is a mistake and the player has learned from it. Once you are broke (no longer making millions) you get to learn from your mistake like the rest of us.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

kyboy

Reaction score

If you are looking to him or any other pro athlete to set an example you are looking in the wrong place. I don't care what their contract or the coach says, they are there to make money and do their job. There are a lot of great people in sports who do great things but looking to them to set the example for me or my kids is not one of them. That is my job.

Ray Rice did set "an"example, one that I used to teach my kids to not be like him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The amount of slack that celebrities and athletes get is ridiculous. Just because they make the big bucks doesn't mean they're any better of a human being than the rest of us so I find it absolutely unacceptable that the law tends to be bent in their favor.

The next generation of aspiring athletes looking up to these "stars" as role models. They're teaching kids that as long as they can produce on the field that everything off of it will be ok, which is the wrong lesson that is being taught. And it's sad to say, but alot of kids these days will find that long leash to be an acceptable excuse to act how they want off the field.

We got some real honest, humble, and community oriented stars in the sports world, take JJ Watt for example. The guy works extremely hard off the field and stays out of trouble because the NFL is his job and he doesn't do anything to screw it up. A job in the NFL as a player doesn't promise a long career so he's making the most out of the opportunity he has now, all work and no play. All these athletes that make the big bucks and act a fool outside of the field, they're the ones taking their jobs for granted.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We got some real honest, humble, and community oriented stars in the sports world, take JJ Watt for example. The guy works extremely hard off the field and stays out of trouble because the NFL is his job and he doesn't do anything to screw it up. A job in the NFL as a player doesn't promise a long career so he's making the most out of the opportunity he has now, all work and no play. All these athletes that make the big bucks and act a fool outside of the field, they're the ones taking their jobs for granted.
It's unfortunate that kids nowadays are all about making more money, money, money. J.J. Watt isn't running around with gold wrapped around his head in a new Bentley. For the most part, kids probably don't even know who he is. When most kids think about football, they think about people like Michael Vick, Dez Bryant, and Randy Moss. Garbage, if you ask me.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's unfortunate that kids nowadays are all about making more money, money, money. J.J. Watt isn't running around with gold wrapped around his head in a new Bentley. For the most part, kids probably don't even know who he is. When most kids think about football, they think about people like Michael Vick, Dez Bryant, and Randy Moss. Garbage, if you ask me.
Well with the greed of today's players, they're teaching kids it is about the money. I mean does winning really matter when you're rolling in that kinda money with a guaranteed contract? Not to mention it's the divas of the sports that get the spotlight and they're the ones holding out for bigger contracts, but are up to no good off the field/court.

Let's take the NBA for instance. Take a look at Tim Duncan, he comes into the league and just wants to win, he's taken 2 pay cuts to keep his teammates together and just wins. He's made most of his money off endorsements and just wants to play. He's a great role model for any aspiring athlete imo. Sports are about the team, and he is one of the handful of superstars who really puts the team first, which is why he's 5x a champion. Don't get me wrong, he gets paid a nice chunk of change, but nowhere near what a player of his caliber demands, even in the latter stages of his career.

Kids need to choose players like Duncan or Watt to look up to. A player who just goes into the gym everyday, plays his heart out every minute on the court/field, and at the end of the day doesn't take a moment of it for granted. Unfortunately, with this "connected" world of ours, it's becoming more of a rarity with each draft class.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Great comments guys. I think Kyboy said it best though...."it's up to you as the parent to teach your kids" and not let big money stars or athletes do that for you. Unfortunately in this day and age, there aren't enough parents doing that imo.

tap'n on my S5

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Great comments guys. I think Kyboy said it best though...."it's up to you as the parent to teach your kids" and not let big money stars or athletes do that for you. Unfortunately in this day and age, there aren't enough parents doing that imo.

tap'n on my S5
The problem is kids want to see professionals. I can parent and I can teach sports, but I don't play professionally, and kids want to see that level.

It's a shame we don't have anymore Bo Jackson's, Barry Sanders', and Frank Thomas', in sports anymore.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: cr6