Rocketfish case vs ebay case

jk12

Reaction score
I bought best buy's rocketfish droid x case. Soft robberized finish....slim and fits tightly. But, $25 is a bit ridiculous for 2 pieces of flimsy plastic.

Best Buy:
http://bit.ly/bCgntA

So, I made a gamble on a $5 ebay case. Just got it. It's a 98% match to the Rocket Fish...and for over $20 less! I think it's actually better because they provide a fingernail notch to pry it off. Plus, the holes on the back are cut much more precisely than best buy's.

ebay:
New Black Hard Cover Case For Motorola Droid X MB810 - eBay (item 220643007785 end time Aug-24-10 01:10:28 PDT)

$5....that's more like it!

Last edited:

kerbstomp

Reaction score
I really appreciate this posting, I had every intention of purchasing a Rocketfish case when my phone came in.

My one question is: how rubbery are we talking? Any lint attraction or pocket stickiness?

OP
J

jk12

Reaction score
I really appreciate this posting, I had every intention of purchasing a Rocketfish case when my phone came in.

My one question is: how rubbery are we talking? Any lint attraction or pocket stickiness?

Texture is very similar to the droid x's rubberized finish. Not quite as nice, but extremely close. It's a hard plastic not silicone, too. Also, FYI, best buy's pic isn't totally accurate. The phone from the back doesn't even appear to be an X. Plus the holes don't look like the one I bought (and will soon be returning).

kerbstomp

Reaction score
I had just noticed that, from the back of the picture online it almost looks as though the case was made for the EVO...with an elongated slot for (I'm assuming) a kickstand.

So no pocket resistance?

OP
J

jk12

Reaction score
No more than a naked droid

SaurusX

Reaction score
I bought best buy's rocketfish droid x case. Soft robberized finish....slim and fits tightly. But, $25 is a bit ridiculous for 2 pieces of flimsy plastic.

I bought the "rubberized snap on case droid x" for my DX from Amazon based entirely on the pictures there. It seemed almost IDENTICAL in every way to the rocketfish case at Best Buy. I couldn't see the back of the rocketfish, but the case I bought had two separate holes for the speaker and mic. It must have come from the same Chinese factory. If that's the case you want then save yourself some cash and buy it at Amazon. Check out my review there! That sounds like a commercial!

Last edited:
Reaction score

I bought the "rubberized snap on case droid x" for my DX from Amazon based entirely on the pictures there. It seemed almost IDENTICAL in every way to the rocketfish case at Best Buy. I couldn't see the back of the rocketfish, but the case I bought had two separate holes for the speaker and mic. It must have come from the same Chinese factory. If that's the case you want then save yourself some cash and buy it at Amazon. Check out my review there! That sounds like a commercial!

Hey thanks for the tip. I'm going to see how this is for $3.00 What have I got to lose?

Reaction score

Hey thanks for the tip. I'm going to see how this is for $3.00 What have I got to lose?

Quoting myself to follow up on this case I got from Amazon with SaurusX's help ;-)

It was .01 cent w/ $2.98 shipping. I haven't been to Best Buy to see the Rocketfish case but it can't be $22 better.

This was exactly what I was looking for... at least for now... for starters anyhow.

Thanks SaurusX!! dancedroid

Amazon.com: Rubberized Snap On Hard Case Cover for Motorola DROID X, Black: Everything Else

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

SaurusX

Reaction score
Brownstothebone, that was actually how the case I bought was pictured. The one I receieved was more in the shape of the rocketfish case for the front, but with separate form-fitted cutouts for the speaker and mic in the back. Very confusing.

mwm523

Reaction score
The pics of the eBay case in the OP look the same as the Talon case from Android Central, which I bought for like $15.

debaucher

Reaction score

Quoting myself to follow up on this case I got from Amazon with SaurusX's help ;-)

It was .01 cent w/ $2.98 shipping. I haven't been to Best Buy to see the Rocketfish case but it can't be $22 better.

This was exactly what I was looking for... at least for now... for starters anyhow.

Amazon.com: Rubberized Snap On Hard Case Cover for Motorola DROID X, Black: Everything Else

IMG_2100.jpg

Curious, this back looks like it may accomidate the extended battery with its cover (it protrudes out a bit).

Am I correct in this??

Just curious

D.

Reaction score
Brownstothebone, that was actually how the case I bought was pictured. The one I receieved was more in the shape of the rocketfish case for the front, but with separate form-fitted cutouts for the speaker and mic in the back. Very confusing.

Hey, don't get me wrong. For $3 bucks I'm happy. That little bit of extra cut out on the back and the more open face is fine, doesn't bother me one bit.

Like I said. I may stick with this case or move on, but for now I at least covered the phone and have time to look around. (or not)

So for that purpose I got my moneys worth. :)

Reaction score

Curious, this back looks like it may accomidate the extended battery with its cover (it protrudes out a bit).

Am I correct in this??

Just curious

D.

I'm gonna' say no. I think it's pretty tight. But I don't have the extended battery so I can't prove that for you. Just my opinion.

Edit to add: The last thing you want to do is force open the seam where the halves come together. But I can't determine the space on the inside of the case because I don't have the bigger battery.

Last edited: