1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rocketfish case vs ebay case

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by jk12, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jk12

jk12 New Member

I bought best buy's rocketfish droid x case. Soft robberized finish....slim and fits tightly. But, $25 is a bit ridiculous for 2 pieces of flimsy plastic.

Best Buy:
    http://bit.ly/bCgntA

So, I made a gamble on a $5 ebay case. Just got it. It's a 98% match to the Rocket Fish...and for over $20 less! I think it's actually better because they provide a fingernail notch to pry it off. Plus, the holes on the back are cut much more precisely than best buy's.

ebay:
    New Black Hard Cover Case For Motorola Droid X MB810 - eBay (item 220643007785 end time Aug-24-10 01:10:28 PDT)

$5....that's more like it!
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. kerbstomp

kerbstomp New Member

I really appreciate this posting, I had every intention of purchasing a Rocketfish case when my phone came in.

My one question is: how rubbery are we talking? Any lint attraction or pocket stickiness?
  3. jk12

jk12 New Member

Texture is very similar to the droid x's rubberized finish. Not quite as nice, but extremely close. It's a hard plastic not silicone, too. Also, FYI, best buy's pic isn't totally accurate. The phone from the back doesn't even appear to be an X. Plus the holes don't look like the one I bought (and will soon be returning).
  4. kerbstomp

kerbstomp New Member

I had just noticed that, from the back of the picture online it almost looks as though the case was made for the EVO...with an elongated slot for (I'm assuming) a kickstand.

So no pocket resistance?
  5. jk12

jk12 New Member

No more than a naked droid
  6. SaurusX

SaurusX New Member

I bought the "rubberized snap on case droid x" for my DX from Amazon based entirely on the pictures there. It seemed almost IDENTICAL in every way to the rocketfish case at Best Buy. I couldn't see the back of the rocketfish, but the case I bought had two separate holes for the speaker and mic. It must have come from the same Chinese factory. If that's the case you want then save yourself some cash and buy it at Amazon. Check out my review there! That sounds like a commercial!
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. BrownstotheBone

BrownstotheBone New Member

Hey thanks for the tip. I'm going to see how this is for $3.00 What have I got to lose?
  8. makaveliq3

makaveliq3 New Member

fits ext battery?
  9. BrownstotheBone

Quoting myself to follow up on this case I got from Amazon with SaurusX's help ;-)

It was .01 cent w/ $2.98 shipping. I haven't been to Best Buy to see the Rocketfish case but it can't be $22 better.

This was exactly what I was looking for... at least for now... for starters anyhow.

Thanks SaurusX!! dancedroid

Amazon.com: Rubberized Snap On Hard Case Cover for Motorola DROID X, Black: Everything Else

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. SaurusX

SaurusX New Member

Brownstothebone, that was actually how the case I bought was pictured. The one I receieved was more in the shape of the rocketfish case for the front, but with separate form-fitted cutouts for the speaker and mic in the back. Very confusing.
  11. mwm523

mwm523 New Member

The pics of the eBay case in the OP look the same as the Talon case from Android Central, which I bought for like $15.
  12. debaucher

debaucher New Member

Curious, this back looks like it may accomidate the extended battery with its cover (it protrudes out a bit).

Am I correct in this??

Just curious

D.
  13. BrownstotheBone

Hey, don't get me wrong. For $3 bucks I'm happy. That little bit of extra cut out on the back and the more open face is fine, doesn't bother me one bit.

Like I said. I may stick with this case or move on, but for now I at least covered the phone and have time to look around. (or not)

So for that purpose I got my moneys worth. :)
  14. BrownstotheBone

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  15. GraveTrain

GraveTrain New Member

+1 for the ebay cases. $4.95 plus free shipping. Black "rubberized" plastic. Rocks the house.
  16. PrinceNubian

PrinceNubian New Member

I do wish it was more fitted around the speaker and mic but sold nonetheless.
  17. BrownstotheBone

Yea. I think the ebay one is. I bought this one site unseen. But for $3 it works for now. As a matter of fact, I'm not worried about getting anything else right away. I kind of dig it.
  18. PrinceNubian

PrinceNubian New Member

Ended up breaking the bank with two cases and a car charger. Came up to 21 bucks. When I get my tax returns I think i'll splurge for the windshield mount

:icon_ banana: dancedroid
  19. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

FYI,

I ordered the case from Amazon for $.02 and I have one from eBay for $5. Both cases are good, however neither fit snug with the extended battery. The fit perfectly without the battery door for the extended battery, but I am skeptical about carrying my phone without the battery cover. Other wise they are good cases.
  20. PrinceNubian

PrinceNubian New Member

It's only right that since I found the original info here, I let u guys find out the results of my search which i'll also put up on the main page.
    Had nekkid DX for about a month, dropped it getting out of my car and decided I needed a protective case.

Thanks to Saurus and BrownstotheBone, i narrowed it down to the rubberized hard case from Amazon.Went for the orange case from one dealer who u'll find below.
    At first look the orange was not a bright orange but more of a rustic orange which was a plus. The feel of the case was similar to that suede type feel of the OEM DX.
    To one responder, no lint from the pocket on the case.

Didn't like the case from BrownstotheBone because of the big cutout for the speaker, but this case actually has separate cuts for the speaker and the mic.
    Put on the DX and the first thing that you notice is the negligible size and
    weight that it adds to the DX and the tight fit. In and out of the pocket and there is no perception of the added case.
    Best part was the price. $2.76 + $2.98 S&H = $5.74.

Case comes in black or orange and is much cheaper now. Check the link below. I may order another one or two for safekeeping.

h t t p://www.amazon com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_4_1?rh=n%3A301188%2Cp_4%3ACase-Mate&bbn=301188&ie=UTF8&qid=1286156204&rnid=404921 011

Sorry but u'll need to cop and paste remove http spaces and add dot to dot com.
Search tags for this page
droid x rocketfish case
moto x rocketfish case
moto x rocketfish cover
motorola triumph hard case

motorola triumph rocketfish

rocketfish - soft-shell case for motorola moto x mobile phon
rocketfish black soft silicone fitted case formotorola droid
rocketfish case droid x
rocketfish case for droid 4
rocketfish droid 4 case review
rocketfish droid x case review