robbed of USB tethering?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tangent88, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tangent88

tangent88 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So i had used Easytether since i had updated to stock 2.2, and it worked just fine.

i went to use it today, and not only did it not work, but the official tethering now redirects to inform me to pay for an extra service....

i could see this if i was "able" to make a wifi hotspot, but i feel as though my phone was just robbed of one of the features i loved about it.

2. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    TalonTech1
    Hmm I am not liking that at all.
    I am still stock 2.1 but I use about 12 mb per month of tethering to my laptop to check my servers on the weekends at work. I live in the woods so no dial up service even out there. This has been a life saver.
    If it is no longer possible it would be a pain.
    Yes I know it may or may not be ok by the terms of the contract but I am also not streaming movies and such and I use such a small amount paying extra for it would not make sense.

#2 Talon8Ya, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. tangent88

tangent88 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well not to start a riot, i must mention that easytether might be just acting buggy. i just downloading pdanet and it works fine, restriction free from the man.

i've already paid for the damn 3G, the phone, and the computer! on what device i view my data should be my choice!

- that was for the inevitable riot.

4. nateccnn

nateccnn Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Wireless Tether for Root users still works without a redirect to a pay for service site. I am posting this from a laptop wirelessly tethered to my droid. Let's see if it shows up.

Nate

5. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    TalonTech1
    The riot should be inevitable that is for sure.

I still cannot believe how much it costs just to have a smart phone. I pay more for my phone each month than I did for cable and phone and road runner before I moved to the new house.
    Mind you I knew what I was getting into and I would not trade my Droid for anything but this constant nickle here and dime here of their customers by verizon, at&t and others is just nuts. I know they need to make a profit and keep shareholders happy but there reaches a point that enough is enough already.

I will have to check my easy tether to see how it reacts.

6. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    I assume that you're not rooted (hence using EasyTether instead of wired tether for root users).

Your post sounds ominous (like someone did something to break it) but no details about the nature of the EasyTether failure. Are you getting an error? Does it look like its working but it actually isn't? Has anything changed on your phone since it worked last? Are you using it with a computer you've used it with successfully before?

Regarding the "official tethering" -- I was playing the other night after installing the latest ChevyNo1 kernel and found that my "official USB tethering" went to the VZW DUN signup page. At first I was willing to swear that it didn't do that before the kernel upgrade. But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that every time I used the official USB tethering before then was with WiFi enabled and connected on the handset, so it was really using my local WiFi for network -- not 3G.

Anyway, I put on "wired tether for root users" and "wireless tether for root users", tested both successfully, and put the issue behind me.

I'm on the FRG22 leak. Anybody running FRG22 and able to use the official USB tether over 3G without going to the VZW DUN signup page? Maybe it worked originally and VZW changed something to detect its traffic and redirect?

7. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    TalonTech1

Good point. I am finally at a point at work were I can allow rooted phones to on the network which is nice I can root after the update and just use barnacle or some variation of it if they nix easy tether.

(Note I am the systems admin here but I have to follow protocol and be careful with devices connecting to our infrastructure hence no rooted phones until the next week or two.)

8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17

Five responses: 1) You should have read your contract before you signed it; 2) When you have your cell phone provider service, you can charge your customer's any way you like. 3) Move to one of the providers that provides free tethering. 4) You know it is not a matter of which device you use to view the data. It's the quantity of data that will be used. 5) It is their service and they are free to charge for it's use in any manner they decide.

All that said, I'm not looking forward to the fee increase, but I do not feel entitled to free tethering either. (Let the flaming begin!!):icon_ banana:

9. TheOldFart

TheOldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Correct, like it or not, you are only entitled to what you signed for in the contract. If a person does not like the TOS then they should not sign it.

10. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that you cannot simply root and get Wifi tethering, you must install a custom ROM that has this ability. Is this correct?

11. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I think all the current roms include it now. But all you need is to be rooted, install a kernel that facilitates it and then in the app Wifi for Rooted Users.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. tangent88

tangent88 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

i was using it with a computer i used it with just yesterday, the phone did not display under devices on the PC side which made me suspicious about the USB debugging being on... opened it up checked it and the phone froze twice after i went back to the easytether app. after rebooting it still was a no show and my network had no service for several minutes.. when i was connected again i just went ahead and tried pdanet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bypass pdanet restriction

usb tether galaxy nexus verizon