Road Trip

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by SirSyeco, Jan 16, 2010.

1. SirSyeco

SirSyeco New Member

So in your opinion, whats the best method to load up a bunch of addresses for quick access in the Nav?

I started a new job today and over the next few days will be driving all around the city to roughly 12 locations. I was thinking I would go into Gmail on my PC and load them up in contacts ahead of time but didn't know if that was what made most sense with the tools available.

TIA

:icon_ banana:
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Google Address Book.....apparently on the market.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If I was doing it I would do it on my computer just because I can type so much faster and it's easier to set up then the Droid. Just my 2 cents....
  4. listenman20

listenman20 Member

i've found that if i sign into google on my pc then goto mymaps and create POIs (points of interest) then when i open google maps on my phone and hit the layers icon i can get directions to those points. if you have a route selected you could save it and then be able to follow it.
  5. Itamar

Itamar New Member

+1 that's how I do it for the car.
    In my truck rig, however, I can't use the Droid because I must follow designated truck routes which Google maps can't handle. For that I use the Rand McNally Intelliroute TND
  6. SirSyeco

SirSyeco New Member

I went ahead and added where I needed to go into my contacts this morning before I got to read these answers. It took me about 30 min to put them in there and the navigation worked great.

However, after I got home and read these, I decided to try it out just to compare. WAY BETTER to do it the way suggested here with mymaps. After I created and saved a map with my first address, I could simply just click "add to my maps" after every new address I typed in. WAY faster than adding one by one to the contact list. With the added bonus of seeing them all on the map at the same time for easy reference.

Way to go fellow forumites, thanks a bunch for making my life easier.
  7. cc16177

cc16177 New Member

I am from Rhode Island and currently live in Michigan... I drive back and forth a couple times a year to visit my family and I added comfort inn every 100 miles along the route to My Maps so as i'm driving along I can check how close to the next one etc... and when I finally decide which one i'm goin to stop at i just press that little icon on the map and hit call... it's wonderful :)

As i've mentioned before on this forum I have been on a search to find the "perfect" phone (for me) and out of the seven phones i've owned in the last 14 or so months (Samsung Alias, several WinMo phones as well as the iPhone) the Droid is BY FAR the best device. Yes it has issues here and there but as far as what it can do and (as far as im concerned) the most important part is HOW it does everything. Very intuitive.

Sorry to type so much I just can't contain how much I love this phone!
  8. SGTiger

SGTiger New Member

These are excellent tips for using Mymaps. By the way, I noticed that one of the layers on the Droid is "Favorite Places". Just curious. Anyone know how to modify the POIs in this list?
  9. JamesX

JamesX New Member

I asked the same question last week :) Evidently... no one knows how to add a location as "Favorite"
  10. Shad0w325

Shad0w325 New Member

The Favorite Places layer is just popular destinations in that area. Much like the built in POI's in Google Earth.