RMHD battery life getting worse

nepkp

Reaction score
Is this a common problem with this device? Suddenly, battery is dead after 5 hours of normal use, which used to take 20 hours. I have had it for a year. Should I ask for a replacement phone?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like a rogue app to me. Download a battery/app monitor such as GSam battery monitor and see if anything abnormal shows up.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Mine is still great after a year. I am with the above poster that you have a bad app sucking it dry.

OP
N

nepkp

Reaction score
Tried the Gsam app and unless my display is drawing more current than it used to, it must be the battery. 5 hours to 15% is not what it was just last week. Thinking about an upgrade, anyway. The battery life is the only reason I have this phone. Now that is gone, as well.

OP
N

nepkp

Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys. It looks like the media scanner is running all the time . I am still trying to find out why it is doing this. Any ideas? this is a new problem that hasn't happened before.

newmanx4

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Seemingly overnight my battery won't make it 8 hours even with minimal use. Google Play services is constantly running and using 50-70%of the battery. When I look at running apps it is open three times. I can force stop them but they come right back. Restarting the phone stops it, but only temporarily. Phone has major lag while this is going on too. May try a factory reset.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

jimmythegent

Reaction score
same here, mentioned this a while back. this phone will be scrapped soon, just like how they scrapped any support for it

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem last fall. Never could figure out which specific app went haywire, but FDR got me back to normal ops again.

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I have noticed that my battery is not as strong as it was when I first got the phone, but I can go at least a full day without having to charge it...Maybe even a day and a half with lighter use

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

StanH

Reaction score
I have the same problem. My Droid Razr Maxx HD looses battery power quickly. It gets hot from the battery drain.

I kill running apps with Advanced Task Killer, sometimes 10 apps that I haven't even used. (I have a half dozen other similar tools) The running apps start up again on their own, so stopping them doesn't fix the problem.

I suspect there is a setting or some utility app that starts the programs to check for updates, but I don't know what it would be.

Can someone please suggest what settings or apps would be expected to start the apps?

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
You have some rogue app killing your battery and you need to figure it out then get rid of it. I have never used task killer apps and while I may not hit the 32 hour limit anymore, I can still got over 24 hours out of a charge. Batteries don't last forever, but you have an app taking your down.

StanH

Reaction score
I did a quick test and will be more thorough later.

I started from the RAZR from a total shutdown and didn't run anything for 9 minutes. Then I started Gsam. It indicated 2% battery drain in those 9 m 20s. That is too fast.

Then I started the app Wakelock. It listed individual apps in order of times run as follows:

Email (Motorola)
Motorola services (Motorola)
Google play
Google search
K-9 Mail (fsck.k9)

I want to refine the ttest. The phone is currently shut down and charging, starting from 58%. When it is fully charged, I will repeat the test -- this time with a longer quiet-time before measuring.

BTW, does anyone know the meaning of the x19, x10, type of symbol that is displayed next to each app listed?

StanH

Reaction score
Starting with a full charge while shutdown, I left the phone quiet overnight. Next morning it was 83 % charged. That seems OK. According to the app Gsam, it was 83% charged, 75F, 4.065V, 410 ma. WiFi and GMS were on.

According to the app Wakelock 35 apps were running. The top four apps as ranked by Wakelock were
Web PC suite 17m 34s x87
Medscape 17m 1s x112
Gmail 14m 18s x53
Facebook 10m 40s x113
Motorola Services 6m 29s x19

Conclusion:
No excessive battery drain if I follow a shutdown/restart with leaving the phone running without using it.

1.5 hr later - still 83% charged.
Ran the app Radar Now for 30 seconds.
After 15 m quiet time later it is still 82% charged.

Ran the app World Newspapers for 15m: After that the charge was 81%.

After 2h 50s of quiet time later, I had a message to upgrade OS, denied,
phone felt hot, 20% charged.
At that time, here are the readings of the Gsam app.
Used 80% in 22h 53s, 3.5%/hour, 5h 25m active.

Here are the top ranking 4 apps of 35 running.
Google Search 54m 44s x454
k-9 Mail 44m 47s x4545
Web PC suite 22m 27s x109
Medscape 19m 10s x128

Conclusions:
Battery drain could have been set off by the app I ran just before the 2h 50m quiet time.
Or by the attempt by Verizon/Motorola to upgrade the OS.
Or by other events that happened during the 2h 50m quiet time
Surely, high battery drain is not continuous but is intermittent.