RIP: Verizon Discontinuing Droid RAZR, Droid 4, the 32GB SGS3, HTC Rezound & More

silverfang77

Reaction score
Moore's law of new tech coming out every six months has been greatly increased.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Jay_S

Reaction score
Not unexpected - not an impact

My Rezound is still going strong with no signs of my needing to replace it (he said knocking wood at the same time).. O.K., so maybe no Jelly Bean (that would be HTC's call anyway) .. I'm happy, I'm unlimited, so as long as it's kicking, Verizon can kill the next generation of phones as well. It's all to get folks to the inevitable of killing unlimited plans.. At some point I imagine they're going to figure a way to bypass the the "Buy your own retail price phone" as well.

Jay S.

silverfang77

Reaction score
That's easy enough to do. All they have to do is say no more unlimited at all and it's gone.

Jay_S

Reaction score
That's easy enough to do. All they have to do is say no more unlimited at all and it's gone.

I suppose that's true enough.. they blew past the "grandfathered" clause the first time, although I think if they did this level they could be open for class action. As long as they leave some "mechanism" to an unlimited plan (however painful), they probably feel they're covered.. I can think of a few more things they could throw on top of buying your own phone to make it even more painful..

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Whomever did the study, by 2015 the average phone user will consume 6 gigs per month, at that rate and their current price structure they should offer us grandfathered unlimited people free service for toughing it out. Just my two pennies. BTW only went over 2 gigs once.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I suppose that's true enough.. they blew past the "grandfathered" clause the first time, although I think if they did this level they could be open for class action. As long as they leave some "mechanism" to an unlimited plan (however painful), they probably feel they're covered.. I can think of a few more things they could throw on top of buying your own phone to make it even more painful..

Corkage fee comes to mind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums

silverfang77

Reaction score
They do that and I'm out.

IncredibleChick

Reaction score
Fascinating choices to retire. I think it signifies when new things are coming.

Interestingly, I just picked up a used Rezound on eBay to replace my Droid Inc, since I don't want to reup my contract with VZW and I'm just waiting til I see what's coming down the pipe for my next device while my friend's line on my family plan expires.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I strongly suspect that by 2015 (which is when I plan on replacing my current phone), eight-core phones may not even be cutting-edge anymore and quad-core will be ho-hum standard. These powerhouse phones will in turn make it much easier to use gobs and gobs of data quickly. (They'll also induce resource-hogging apps to crowd out the simpler ones...note how webpages themselves have evolved over the years*, as have software packages like MS Office and the like!)

Also, I do see how non-removable batteries can be a pain in the butt. Speaking only for myself, I think they're a good security feature (in phones where, if password or similar protection has been set up, you also need to log in to turn them off). That way, if you have a good anti-theft app in place, a thief can't just circumvent it by turning the phone off or removing the battery.

[*] Once upon a time, Lynx was a perfectly good browser for surfing the web!

What do you think?

Jeff Deutsch

Theron

Reaction score
Motorola can't rest on their laurels forever. In my experience, we have a Note 2, two Samsung S3's, a Rezound, and a Razr Maxx and out of the 4 model phones, the Razr Maxx has the weakest radio reception. It drops down from 4G to 3G much quicker than the rest, and regains 4G much later than the rest.

I would be willing to bet that the Stratosphere 2 and the Pantech Marauder (which are both generally entry level) can't hold a candle to any of these phones in terms of signal strength, or general quality.

All of the devices you compared are the high end offerings of Samsung and HTC that easily compare with Motorola. But my statement still stands. Nobody makes a better QWERTY today then Verizon.