RIP: Verizon Discontinuing Droid RAZR, Droid 4, the 32GB SGS3, HTC Rezound & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Knightrider03m

Knightrider03m Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm shocked about the S3 and the Droid 4. I wonder if there will ever be a Droid 5

2. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Short answer, no
    The phones just arent being sent out to the retailers any more. They still have ALOT for replacement.

3. wvdroidman

wvdroidman Member

Ratings:
    +6
    that stinks was wondering the same. I want the maxx hd or razr hd. Should have known that there was a reason my razr was only $1 at best buy.

4. Yonahdad

Yonahdad Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What happens if my rezound is broken? My cell is insured through Verizon..

5. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Answer 2 posts up, plenty of refurbs to last for quite some time. Then your old one will become a refurb and so on.

aliens don't use razr's, they use obsidian.

6. droidbound

droidbound Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Damn! I better start taking really good care of my Droid 4. It may have to last way longer than my other phones. I kinda doubt that Motorola is going to continue the physical keyboard series.... Most people seem to go for touchscreen typing (which is only ok if most of your comments go along the lines of: LOL! OMG!) and phones with keyboards are more and more a niche market.
    Anybody have any idea how many D4s were sold?
    Well, it should last me until the end of my contract with VZW, and whoever then has the best physical keyboard phone can count on me as a customer.:frown:

7. mikekhelxD

mikekhelxD Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I may have to go switch to full touchscreen of the droid series gets discontinued. I'm practicing day by day. Hahah. I will have to get a phablet though. My fingers are just too big.

8. SunsNut

SunsNut New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I hope my Droid 4 lives for a good long time. I love, love, love the physical keyboard plus the phone is way cool as well. I have been more than pleased with it. I also love being able to transfer apps to the SD card. Why they have supposedly stopped that with jelly bean is beyond me. Do they not realize how people use these phones? I love it when the corporate entities figure out just what they think I need or want. I'm with DroidBound above. Since I'm not going to renew with VZW my phone should last to the end of my contract. At that time whoever has the best physical keyboard gets my business.

9. wkearney99

wkearney99 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Since I've got the old unlimited plan I'll probably just buy a used D4 and keep it as a spare for when mine dies. Better to keep the plan than get suckered into a limited one by a subsidized new one.

10. Allenb

Allenb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When it lists the Razr as being discontinued, does this automatically include all flavors including the Maxx?

11. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +222
    No, they are separate models. They are discontinuing the ones that will sell less. Why would you get a Razr when the Maxx is probably the same price now??

Sent from Democles Base.

12. mikekhelxD

mikekhelxD Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Can't you just keep your old plan still?

Edit: NVM, I completely forgot about the new plan structure.

13. JeffreyDeutsch

JeffreyDeutsch Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    Yes, physical keyboards are cool. It stinks that so many other folks* either prefer touch-screen computers or consider other features so much more important than physical keyboards as to mean the same thing.

My wife and I started out with the Motorola Pro (designed for business use in general and international use in particular, with strong [as of Fall '10, anyway] security):

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p_country_code/US/p/30,6720,7809

We've now left it behind -- like lots of other folks. Still, I think it's still a nice starter smartphone, maybe for an adolescent or an oldster.

Meanwhile, my father-in-law just a couple of weeks ago got an LG Lucid. With ICS, so it was all just in time. It's his first smartphone.

[*] Presumably including many of the folks on here. I've got no beef with you, just the fact that you effectively outvoted me on this. Oh well, you can't have everything -- where would you put it?

Enjoy your weekend everyone,

Jeff Deutsch

14. Theron

Theron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. I certainly am leery of the fact the the Droid 4 is EOL without any murmurings of a Droid 5 or something like it. Because Samsung and Pantech simply don't have the quality that I desire in a phone. Compared to Motorola's devices, the build quality, radio reception, and general reliability just isn't there on phones like the Samsung Statosphere 2 or the Pantech Marauder.

I'm sad to say that I might be holding off on buying a new phone for a while...

15. droidgrr

droidgrr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On Feb 6, I can upgrade to a new phone at a reduced price - so I was going to get a Droid 4. I have the Droid 2 Global right now. I really want the physical keyboard. Also, I had read that the D4 is not global ready, but you can add something to make it global. Is this true? Online, the phone's price has went way down already ($80). I think it was $150 last week. I don't know if I'll see a different price next Wed. I do not want a refurbished phone. The only other phone with a physical keyboard is the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II ($30 - really cheap). I use the phone for email, web, and some apps. I don't care at all about music or watching videos on it. So should I still try for the D4?

Search tags for this page
driod 5
droid 4 final shipments

droid 5

droid maxx discontinued
droid razr discontinued
droid razr maxx discontinued
droid5
htc rezound discontinued
rezound jelly bean
why was the droid razr maxx discontinued