Rip tracks from CD: Download to Driod 4 memory card (ICS)

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
I have a Droid 4 with a SD card, and am running the ICS operating system. I have a bunch of music CDs and want to download some tracks to my D4 - preferably in MP3 format.

So, I need to RIP => Convert to MP3 => Download to SD Card => Access via MyMusic/MyLibrary

What is the best way to do this with my Windows 7 PC?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I would think do what you already wrote. That's how I do it. Convert the songs to mp3's. Then hook your phone to your computer and mount as a drive. And then copy the mp3's files over to your phone. I like opening two windows and drag and drop my files but do whatever works for you.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Many programs can rip the CD songs to mp3, iTunes, win media player. I prefer to use (if it still exists out there on the web) exactaudiocopy. (Yes, search for it as all 1 word). The suffix should be .de (German).
It scans and rescans every sector of the song on the CD so you get the best mp3 reproduction possible. Convert them to mp3 format at 256 bits. This allows for a noticeable improvement in quality over 128 bits. Anything over 256 is a large file and you'd need dog ears to tell the difference. :)
Save them to a folder on your desktop and then connect the phone as mentioned above and drag and drop to the SD card.
Now....I did this a few years ago with all my CDs...so I can't remember the specific step by step. BUT....if I could figure it out (trust me on this one) I'm sure you can too.
If exactaudiocopy (EAC) program no longer exists use iTunes or win media player. Just remember to convert the songs to 256 kbit/second for maximum enjoyment.
The reason I liked EAC is that it was put together by a German engineering grad student. It came with loads of help and links to do further research AND it worked right through some "jacked up, scratched" CDs I had.

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Been there, done that ...

Last week, after the ICS upgrade, I tried copying a dozen tracks from one ripped CD to my SD card, and only 3 showed up when I tapped

My Music > My Library > Album Name

So I repeated it with a different Album, and got the same results. I then connected the Droid 4 back to the PC using the USB cable and it showed, in both cases, all 12 tracks!

For what it is worth, I used this same procedure on another album before I converted to ICS and had no problems: all tracks are available for playback on that album.

So, via USB cable it shows all the tracks in each album; via My Music > My Library it only shows three.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Websquad said:
So, via USB cable it shows all the tracks in each album; via My Music > My Library it only shows three.

It may be because the rest of the songs are in a different file. When you have your phone hooked to your computer look through your phone files, find all your music, and put it all in one file.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

sajgel

Reaction score
i would recommend to download Mspot Music you can download your songs and save it to the Mspot cloud.

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Tried using the suggested software ("Express Rip") ... got error message when I unlocked phone ("Your media files can not be accessed because you are in USB Mass Storage Mode...."). I had unplugged the USB cable from the Droid 4 before I unlocked the phone ... got the error message immediately after unlocking.

Alas, when I looked at My Music > My Library > Album Name, each of the four albums only displayed three tracks; however, I connected to the computer again and all were there. I even listened so some tracks on my PC, and they played fine.

This "USB Mass Storage Mode" may be the problem. I looked through the manual an could not find any reference to USB Mode. I next unplugged the USB cable, powered down the Droid 4, and started it up again.

I did a Google search on "usb mode droid x settings" and found this regarding ICS: "one of the big differences with this new operating system was that it didn't mount the storage to the PC like it used to (it uses a new method called MTP). This means our old method, Mass Storage Mode, no longer works with these new devices!".

PS: I got Express Rip from the exactaudiocopy link. Easy to use software. Thanks for the tip ....

Now, about the USB Mass Storage Mode ... Do I need CompanionLink? Need DejayConnect USB?

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you are stating that the song files are in your phone, you can see them using "my files"; however, they do not appear in the player, as if they weren't on the phone at all.
I also ran into this problem recently. Songs showed up as files under "my files" but didn't show up in the players. The problem was solved when I edited the id3 tags. You see, the DROID players do not "see" the files themselves (so to speak, of course they do) when displaying songs or albums. They read the id3 tag to show you album, artist, song title, track number, etc.
There are id3 tag editors in the app store. You might find it easier to edit them on your PC. Right click on the file, properties, one of the tabs is the windows tag editor. Try that and let us know.

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
... You might find it easier to edit them on your PC. Right click on the file, properties, one of the tabs is the windows tag editor. Try that and let us know.
I opened up properties in Windows Explorer on my Windows 7 machine. It displayed four tabs, which seemed to have these editable fields:

• General
    • Open With [Windows Media Player]
    • Attributes
  • Security
    • Authenticated Users
    • SYSTEM
    • Administrators
    • Users
    • Change Permissions [Edit]
    • Special Permissions [Advanced]
  • Details
    • [Remove Properties and Personal Information]
  • Previous Versions

What, if any thing, do I change?

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Websquad said:
I opened up properties in Windows Explorer on my Windows 7 machine. It displayed four tabs, which seemed to have these editable fields:

[*]General

[*]Open With [Windows Media Player]
[*]Attributes

[*]Security

[*]Authenticated Users
[*]SYSTEM
[*]Administrators
[*]Users
[*]Change Permissions [Edit]
[*]Special Permissions [Advanced]

[*]Details

[*][Remove Properties and Personal Information]

[*]Previous Versions

What, if any thing, do I change?

Sorry...been at the hospital all day. On windows vista (can't be that different than 7):
Right click on the song file.
Select properties
Click on "details" tab
You should see info in the fields, maybe not all of them, but there should be the artist's name under "artists", album name after "album", etc.
If these fields are blank the players have no info to display....hence making it look like the song is not there.
You can edit these fields by clicking to the right of them. What I mean is float the cursor over "artists". Slide over to the right and a text box should appear. Click on the box and edit the field by adding in the artist's name. Viola...instant id3 edit!
I always make sure that the following fields have info: Artists, Album, Genre, Title (this last one is the song title).
Best of luck! Sorry for the late reply.....life gets in the way :)

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Fixed !!

Only one field was missing: Album artist. For this test I just plugged in my Droid 4 into the desktop computer and used Windows Explorer on the files directly. I just noticed that Publisher is left empty, but apparently ICS does not need it to recognize the file as a valid file.

For what it is worth, my music is classical music, but came up a "Rock" .... strange .... so I right mouse clicked the first of the dozen tracks, it was selected, used control-A to select all tracks, and then opened Properties. With this setting, only "General" and "Details" tabs showed. I selected "Details." The title showed as (multiple values), which I expected. "Album Artist" was blank so I filled that in (typically, with classical music albums, the artist for each track in the album is the same -- but in this case I didn't care ... "XXXX" would have done the trick ... I think it just needs a non-blank value). Also also changed the Genre from Rock to Classical, and then clicked [Apply] at the bottom.

For what it is worth #2 ... the Publisher field (at the bottom of "Details" was blank, and I left it blank. Apparently ICS does not need that, because all 12 tracks are now showing. "Subtitle" is also blank, "Rating" is left with empty stars (i.e., not rated), and there are no comments. Each track is has its on # value (1..12), so it appears as (multiple values), which is to be expected when all the tracks are selected.

Thank you so much for your help. Problem appears to be solved! :biggrin:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you!
Now install the free version of iTag from infolife from the app store on your phone. This little jewel will allow you to further edit the id3 tag further AND download the album cover art for all your songs.
Best of luck :)

Hikertrash

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something. I've been mounting the phone as a media device, this way it doesn't want to install MotoAct or whatever. Open My Music on my laptop, copy what I want, open My Computer, open Droid 4, SD card, Music and paste. I get all songs, album art etc. and they play with the Google play music player.

PS All my CD's are ripped as MP3 using WMP.

Last edited: