RIP Thunderbolt, it's been fun.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Today, my Thunderbolt died. I bought it on release day, and it has had very few problems until today. I had it on the charger and it went to the white "HTC" screen. No big deal I thought.. happens sometimes, it'll reboot and all will be good. I was wrong, so very wrong. It buzzed on the HTC screen, then the screen turned off... HTC screen came back. It did this for 2 hours or so. I went to Verizon, they did a hard reset and wipe.. nothing worked. So now here I am, using a Blackberry Bold from 2009 and trying to figure out what to do. I think a Galaxy SIII.. but who knows.. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

It's been fun Thunderbolt. I'm sorry to see you go this way. I wish we could have seen ICS together.

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Today, my Thunderbolt died. I bought it on release day, and it has had very few problems until today. I had it on the charger and it went to the white "HTC" screen. No big deal I thought.. happens sometimes, it'll reboot and all will be good. I was wrong, so very wrong. It buzzed on the HTC screen, then the screen turned off... HTC screen came back. It did this for 2 hours or so. I went to Verizon, they did a hard reset and wipe.. nothing worked. So now here I am, using a Blackberry Bold from 2009 and trying to figure out what to do. I think a Galaxy SIII.. but who knows.. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

It's been fun Thunderbolt. I'm sorry to see you go this way. I wish we could have seen ICS together.

I have a file (RUU) that has a very slight chance to resurrect your tbolt
add me on gtalk [email protected]

wardo

Reaction score
Damn man. Sorry to hear. Is Verizon not willing to offer a replacement?

tap a talka thingy

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I have a file (RUU) that has a very slight chance to resurrect your tbolt
add me on gtalk [email protected]
Thanks for the offer, but I think my time with the Thunderbolt is over. I've been planning on getting a new one.. just not today..
Damn man. Sorry to hear. Is Verizon not willing to offer a replacement?

tap a talka thingy
Heck no they're not. The phone is 18 months old, well out of warranty and it shows a slight bit of abuse. It's actually been in a case its entire life, but that hasn't completely stopped 18 months of hard use. The only thing I'm really upset at Verizon about is screwing me around on activating a phone for a few days. They said they couldn't just switch a number on an unused iPhone on my plan (we keep an "extra" phone for situations like these) so I'd have to move an OLD Blackberry to the account and then move to the iPhone. Well I tried and they wouldn't do it because of voicemail? Yeah, I dunno. So I'm using a sweet BB Bold until I can get to Verizon and buy an S3 today. Ugh.

wardo

Reaction score
Call the 800 number and talk to a rep about getting a new phone. They might give you a discount or something. I have found they are definitely different from the stores in terms of what they will approve. Good luck. The nexus is only 100 bucks I think.

tap a talka thingy

2001400ex

Reaction score
If you have a big account or have been with Verizon a while, get a hold of customer service. I received a replacement OG droid a week after warranty and other things stores wouldn't allow. They might replace for $50 or early upgrade. Try it and see what you get.

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I ended up getting an s3. It's pretty awesome actually. I'm already over my thunderbolt haha. Verizon didn't give me any breaks or anything... In fact I told them I was just going to pay retail for it even though my contract is up and they told me no. The guy said that it would be "very stupid". The difference is paying retail over being stuck paying for 5 gigs of data a month gets paid off in a year so I know I made the financially smart long term decision.

Btw the battery life is great so far. Been unplugged for 5 hours with a decent amount of screen on time and I'm at 77%

2001400ex

Reaction score
I ended up getting an s3. It's pretty awesome actually. I'm already over my thunderbolt haha. Verizon didn't give me any breaks or anything... In fact I told them I was just going to pay retail for it even though my contract is up and they told me no. The guy said that it would be "very stupid". The difference is paying retail over being stuck paying for 5 gigs of data a month gets paid off in a year so I know I made the financially smart long term decision.

Btw the battery life is great so far. Been unplugged for 5 hours with a decent amount of screen on time and I'm at 77%

That's good to hear I guess. Personally, I am holding mine until the hew HTC 1080 phone or the Razor HD comes out. October is good timing for me. I just want the next generation and the S3 does not feel like it, and I do not like pentile screens. To each thier own though.

wardo

Reaction score
That's good to hear about the phone. Last time I called the 800 line, the escalation manager broke down some good figures comparing my current plan and the new data plan. The new plan will supposedly be $30 less per month with 4gigs. I did not verify if that included taxes and all the other bs. But she did a 12 month average for our data usage. We only exceeded 4 gigs once.
Sounds like I might upgrade in November. Now I need to look into the Htc 1080 what is this?

tap a talka thingy

OP
Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Wow 5 inches seems huge. Heck this one is huge. I would like another HTC but now this matches my galaxy 10.1.

2001400ex

Reaction score
Yes and no. They can put a 5 inch screen in the same size of phone at the Thunderbolt if there is a smaller bezel, which there should be. So basically, same dimension phone, but bigger screen, less wasted space.

wardo

Reaction score
5'' screen and the same size as a tbolt?

tap a talka thingy

2001400ex

Reaction score
Well we need to see the final specs, but yes its possible. Or close to the same size. Look at the other phones with bigger screens. All they do is reduce the bezel. Now.... HTC might funk this up and increase the size of the bezel, but I doubt it.

wardo

Reaction score
I don't like the new screen dimensions. The galaxy 3 and the rezound are both taller and not as wide. Like the tbolt.
Now the samsung note on the other hand is just a beast. For some reason I think I would actually want it. If this htc 1080 is for real I might have one.
tap a talka thingy

Last edited: