RIP Nexus 9

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
unknown-grave.jpg

The HTC Nexus 9 tablet has been pulled from the Google Play Store. Despite it having very powerful internal hardware, solid build quality and an affordable price, Google's 9-inch Android tablet from HTC was never really much of a success. It just didn't take off in the way that HTC and Google hoped it would.

Now it will have no chance of any recovery, because it's just gone. In fact, there's not even a landing page in which Google indicates it is no longer in stock. It has simply vanished as if it never existed.

Rest in Peace Nexus 9, we hardly new ye...

Source: Google Store - Nexus, Chromecast and more

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I never knew ye, and apparently neither did anyone else.

Maybe why Google is giving Huawei a crack at the tablet and keeping HTC at what they do best, phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lparsons21

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 5X
I just got mine a bit ago. $350 for the 32Gb LTE model. Loving it!

That said, it was an odd size. 9" is nice but it always just feels a little 'off' in the hands. My 10" iPad fits better. But the reality is that tablets are not the huge sellers they once were and I think we'll see more decline in that market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Please... Better than the treatment the Nexus 10 got!

At least they took it out back behind the shed and ended its misery. The Nexus 10 publicly gets wedgies and purple-nurples on the hourly basis.

Hopefully, they'll figure out that tablets are 3 year devices and not 1-2 year purchases. They expect every device to sell 10M per year but that just doesn't happen except for really good phones.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I feel tablets themselves are on their way out. iPads will stay because of the Apple atmosphere but things like the Surface 3 and other full Windows tablets, they replaced the usability of Android tablets. I'll keep using my Nexus 7 once every few months until it dies or stops charging. Doubt I'll get another tablet unless they become dirt cheap.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, pretty much stopped using my (Android) TF300 when I got a (Windows) TF100...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
9" tablets are too big.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
9" tablets are too big.
I like bigger, I love my Nexus 10, if only they made replacement batteries, as it only works while plugged in now. I looked at the Nexus 9, as a replacement, but went with the Samsung 9.7 S2.

My Nexus 7 is too small...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only things tablets have going for them is bigger battery sizes. In everything else phones > tablets.

I've given away all my tablets to poor and unfortunate that don't have a normal pc.

My 4 year old does still use her 21" tablet as a touch smart tv though!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree bigger is better. My phone is 5+ inches. Why would I waste money on a 7?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I use my tablets, the 9.7 and 10 as media units, for email, forum surfing etc, while the wife is watching TV or reading, thus I can spend time with her, same room, instead of going to another room, bedroom, man-cave etc to watch TV or something, it beats the 5"+ phone screen...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I use my tablet for data logging while racing. That's it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You buy a watch you only wear in certain situations. You buy a tablet to log perf stats.

And I thought I had expendable income. ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I use my tablet for data logging while racing. That's it.
I use the Nexus 7 and the Torque Pro app in my Car and Truck, that's about it for the small Tablet.