RIP droid 2

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? What's the error? How far does it get?

I just finished my SBF restore, and it actually didnt delete my apps or data, and I simply lost root.

OP
N

nickb1

Reaction score
Can you be more specific? What's the error? How far does it get?

I just finished my SBF restore, and it actually didnt delete my apps or data, and I simply lost root.

It kept failing the first few times but I finally got it successful. Although i got the new ROM I still can not do anything without it freezing up or rebooting itself.
This leaves me to believe that it is a hardware malfunction. Its like it under clocked to 200 MHz and freezes up when you click on something. I will be taking it in tonight for a replacement, i no longer have root so im sure they wont say anything. It also deactivated itself?

stonecaster

Reaction score
I don't know what it could be but if I were you I would just take it back to be on the safe side that way there is no question about a hardware issue. Good luck!!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It looks more intimidating than it actually is -- all you're doing is a firmware flash, like you might any other device. It will restore you to a new-in-box software state with the most recent version for the D2.

Sorry for the double post, I'm 5 drinks deep and had a long day at work.

That's not true. I downloaded "Root Explorer" yesterday before flashing with the full SBF, and when I was done flashing, "Root Explorer" still remained on the phone.

I, too, thought it would restore it to default, but it didn't.

OP
N

nickb1

Reaction score
I don't know what it could be but if I were you I would just take it back to be on the safe side that way there is no question about a hardware issue. Good luck!!
Im thinking it was a side-affect of an over-clocking error. I called in to tech support and they sent me a refurb.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It looks more intimidating than it actually is -- all you're doing is a firmware flash, like you might any other device. It will restore you to a new-in-box software state with the most recent version for the D2.

Sorry for the double post, I'm 5 drinks deep and had a long day at work.

That's not true. I downloaded "Root Explorer" yesterday before flashing with the full SBF, and when I was done flashing, "Root Explorer" still remained on the phone.

I, too, thought it would restore it to default, but it didn't.

I will agree and disagree to a point. Every other SBF restore I've done on my old D1 returned the phone to a NiB state.

As I stated previously, there's something different about this SBF, in that it DOESNT return the phone to a NiB state.

My guess is it has to do with who wrote and published the image, but I dont know

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you come across a stock VZW image that does return the Droid 2 to NiB, let me know. I'd love to have it.

CellZealot

Reaction score
All of the new generation SBF files preserve user data now to make it easier for both end users ad for the employees who have to flash the phones so they don't have to worry about backing up anything before a flash or restoring it back afterward.

All you have to do is wipe data and cache in recovery to accomplish the same thing as the older SBF files which wiped everything by default.

It was done intentionally to make the process of updating firmware more painless...it's a good thing! ;)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
All of the new generation SBF files preserve user data now to make it easier for both end users ad for the employees who have to flash the phones so they don't have to worry about backing up anything before a flash or restoring it back afterward.

All you have to do is wipe data and cache in recovery to accomplish the same thing as the older SBF files which wiped everything by default.

It was done intentionally to make the process of updating firmware more painless...it's a good thing! ;)

Good to know -- I'll agree that it's a good thing.

If you do want to return to a NiB state, simply perform a factory reset both before and after flashing with the SBFs. Bazinga.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a data wipe doesn't unroot your phone, nor does it bring back all those .apk's that you renamed to .bak.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a data wipe doesn't unroot your phone, nor does it bring back all those .apk's that you renamed to .bak.

No, but an SBF flash will unroot and bring back all of those apks. SBF combined with a factory reset will return your phone to a NiB state.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You are correct. I did an SBF flash, and data wipe, which made it practically new. Plus, it's nice having all these automated root/unroot commands. (A HUGE thanks to those developers!)