Ringtones, where are they supposed to be?

debgram

Reaction score
This is my first smart phone and I'm a little overwelmed of how much of a difference it is to set things up. Right now I'm having an issue with my ringtones and where should they be when I plug the phone with the usb into the pc. They were in the slacker folder but now they won't show up on my phone at all. I'm trying to assign a tone for incoming text, alarms, missed calls, etc. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Download and use zedge from the market, I haven't found a finer program, as to where your tones have gone I couldn't tell you, have you gone to settings and looked in your phone ringtone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
Download and use zedge from the market, I haven't found a finer program, as to where your tones have gone I couldn't tell you, have you gone to settings and looked in your phone ringtone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Oh I have my own ringtones and I went into settings and now their there, but when I go to pick one for the text message, none of my rightones are listed there.

Okay that is where I got my tones from but I saved them to pc, so now I went and did the code thing so I'm going to check if I can choose them now.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can Zedge make your own ringtones? If so, you could move to your phone, open Zedge and have the program save it to the right location. I use Ringdroid to cut and convert an mp3 to a ringtone.

OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
I don't think you could do that there. My mistake was I downloaded the darn tones and thought they installed on the phone and on the home screen of the phone up at the top it had little folders with a down arrow, I thought that meant they were downloaded and installed, wrong, I had to install them from there but I deleted them before I realized that. Now I have to start over again.

josh1980

Reaction score
You can add your own ringtones to your SD card by creating the following directory structure on your SD card...

/media/alarms
/media/notifications
/media/ringtones

Now, I charge my phone using USB, and often use the phone as backup USB storage. As such, when the SD card is mounted to the computer the ringtones will NOT be available. You will get a tone though, just not the one you chose. If you want the ringtone to be available when your SD card is mounted(or even removed from the phone for that matter) you can go to the /system/media/audio folder on your phone's internal memory and you will find folders for the files. If your phone is rooted you should be able to copy mp3s from your sd card to your /system/media/audio/ringtones and the ringtone will then be found even if your SD card is mounted(or removed from the phone).

Hope this helps!

-Josh

OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
You can add your own ringtones to your SD card by creating the following directory structure on your SD card...

/media/alarms
/media/notifications
/media/ringtones

Now, I charge my phone using USB, and often use the phone as backup USB storage. As such, when the SD card is mounted to the computer the ringtones will NOT be available. You will get a tone though, just not the one you chose. If you want the ringtone to be available when your SD card is mounted(or even removed from the phone for that matter) you can go to the /system/media/audio folder on your phone's internal memory and you will find folders for the files. If your phone is rooted you should be able to copy mp3s from your sd card to your /system/media/audio/ringtones and the ringtone will then be found even if your SD card is mounted(or removed from the phone).

Hope this helps!

-Josh

Yep I did notice that about the ring tones on the SD card. I used the usb connected to the pc and when I got a call it was the ones that came with the phone. That is why I thought I lost them or they were in the wrong place. My phone isn't rooted, I may wait till I have the phone for a 9-10 months before I look into that, cause if I have problems with the phone and have to take it in to Verizon won't they say something about it and then my warranty is no good?

josh1980

Reaction score
In all honesty, I rooted my phone within hours of getting it home. Rooting a phone is fairly straightforward. My opinion was that if the process of rooting the phone broke it, the phone likely was broken to begin with.

Overall, when I choose to use apps that require the root permissions I look for ones that are recommended by droid forums and have high ratings and large numbers of downloaders.

Honestly, as long as you do your research before you use root access to change things on your phone and you have an understanding of what you are doing, you should be fine. The fact that you are asking questions in this forum shows that you are better off than most and prefer to be informed before you make a decision.

Old_Professor

Reaction score
How to prevent ringtone assignments from disappearing?

My ringtone assignment all disappeared. I recognize that I have to do them again, but I'd like to avoid problems again. I have a Motorola DROID 4 which I sync with Outlook using Android-sync over the USB cable. I'm not using gmail. I have a number of mp3 files on my PC that I use for identifying incoming emails in Eudora that I also used as ringtones on my previous Palm devices, the most recent being a Centro.

I've seen instructions for installing Ring, Notification, and Alert tones in the internal storage and on the SD card. Which is safer (that is, likely to survive synchronization cycles and copying of files between PC and Droid)?

My procedure for assigning ringtones is to use Group Ringtones to assign tones to the groups defined in Outlook. I spot checked a few contacts by MENU > People > individual contact > set ringtone, and the assigned ringtone was indicated. I also called the cell phone from home and the assigned ringtone for my wife played.

Then I went through the individual contacts that I wanted to assign personal ringtones, and veried these via MENU as above.

I then backed up my contacts using Super Backup and loaded the backup onto my Terabyte external drive on my PC over the USB cable. When I got done, all the ringtone assignments had disappeared.

I would really appreciate guidance.