Ringtones or lack thereof!?!

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Victhechiliman, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Victhechiliman

Victhechiliman New Member

I am new to this and yet n my tinkering, I have found out a few things and am yet to trash my phone. I have two issues (at the moment):

1) I am getting the hang of setting ringtones. The tones I have downloaded I have gotten into my ringtone folder and I have set several. Problem: When I go to set the tone for Text notification,only the pre-installed ringtones show up (and I don't really like any of them!) :censored:

2) I came over from an LG Envy2. Setting up text groups was a breeze. I grabbed Handcent but making groups is still not working. I am a hot dog guy and need to text menu's out to about 20 folks every morning starting Monday! Any help would be appreciated!
  2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

1) Create a folder called notifications on your SD card. Anything put in there will show up as a notification tone.
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Bingo. OP, you've got the handle on this. The 'ringtone' folder you created works only for ringtones. You just need to create the 'notifications' folder on your SD card and the text notifications list will have the sounds/mp3s you've added!
  4. Sasquatchs Droid

Sasquatchs Droid New Member

Im a newbie to all this and dont even know how to find or create a folder. Ive figured out how to download some tones off of Zedge. And Ive downloaded some ringtones off of Mytinyphone.com and i cannot find my download screen and i dont have a clue how to make em my ringtone. PLZ HELP ME!!!!! ANYBODY?? PS ill need a complete walk through. Sorry bout the thread jack lol
  5. Victhechiliman

Victhechiliman New Member

No prob Squatch! Any newbie in need is a friend indeed. I've actually accidentally found out how to attach to contacts, then realized I hadn't actually paid much attention. Had to refigure it out. It's a whole new ballgame from phone to smartphone, but it is so cool, it just doesn't matter!
  6. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

No problem boss.
    To access your SD card you're gonna need a file explorer. I recommend either Astro File Manager or EStrongs File Explorer. These both work the same way as file explorer on a PC.

Once you have your file manager installed, go to the SD card and create two folders... 1) "ringtones" (all lower case) for your ringtones you'd like to use and 2) "notifications" (all lower case) for the notifications you'd like to use. Add the mp3s/sounds that you wish to use for ringtones or notifications into the proper folder.

Now when you go to select a ringtone/notification for a contact or app, the files you put into the appropriate folder will be on the list of options!
Search tags for this page

lack ringtone

motorola droid wont set ringtone i downloaded from my tiny p

my tiny phone for android setting ringtones for contacts