Ringtone problem

Rogus

Reaction score
After doing a FDR this morning and spending way too much time assigning my contacts their respective ringtones, I find they're all gone. They were there one minute and gone the next time someone called. In checking the set ringtone screen, nothing is checked at all for any of them. A nice way of saying it is "I'm frustrated!" So, any ideas what I did wrong. I'm assuming it was user error.

OP
R

Rogus

Reaction score
Since no one has commented, perhaps this isn't an issue for anyone else, but further investigation found that if I plug my phone into my computer via USB, I lose all the ringtone assignments I've made. A simple plugging it in and unplugging it removes all the assignments. So, no one else is having this issue?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This hasn't been reported by anyone else yet, however the percentage of people that assign custom ringtones to their contacts may be rather small. I hope someone else is able to help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

s_cuttic

Reaction score
If you lose the ringtones when you plug your phone into the computer it's probably because the songs are stored on your SD card and the phone can't access the SD card while plugged in.

I use MP3s as ringtones. I don't remember if I have to reassign them after a FDR or not. Whenever I wanna use a new song as a ringtone, I just open the song in winamp, pick a song and then press and hold on it and select "use as ringtone". It'll make it my default ringtone but I just go back into the settings and change it.

I did have problems with one or two ringtones not working. It would play the default ringtone, not the custom. It turned out to be a problem with the contact in the "people" app. Something with the backup preferences I think. The easiest thing to do was delete and then recreate the contact and use the custom ringtone and it was fixed.

Mess around with the "people" app and the sync/backup settings. Try syncing your contacts to your gmail account or to backup assistant. Also check where the contacts are displayed from.

I think I had the default ringtone set for backup assistant and the custom ringtone set for my gmail account and I may have been displaying all contacts.

I hope you can kinda get what I'm saying. It's been a while since I fixed my problem.

OP
R

Rogus

Reaction score
If you lose the ringtones when you plug your phone into the computer it's probably because the songs are stored on your SD card and the phone can't access the SD card while plugged in.

Maybe I'm about the only person who assigns individual ringtones to both individual contacts and groups of people. Certain friends get their own ringtone. Some groups like family get the same one and then business contacts get their own group ringtone.

Anyway, the above worked to take care of the problem. I had to move all my ringtones off my card to the phone storage and then the ringtone assignments stuck after plugging in and unplugging to the computer. I don't remember it being that way under ICS, because I never had the issue, but it's fixed with the HUGE help of s_cuttic! Thank you so much!!

By the way, if you leave the ringtones on the SD card, they show up twice in the 'Set ringtone' setting. I just thought that interesting.

4low4fun

Reaction score
Since no one has commented, perhaps this isn't an issue for anyone else, but further investigation found that if I plug my phone into my computer via USB, I lose all the ringtone assignments I've made. A simple plugging it in and unplugging it removes all the assignments. So, no one else is having this issue?

The exact same thing happens to me... I'll plug Into my computer or my HDMI TV and I lose all my ringtones every time.. it happened with ICS ALSO...

brucefulton

Reaction score
I"ve lost the ability to save tones as ringtones altogether following update to JB and FDR. I've posted a separate thread since that seems to be a different problem than this one.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I see exactly what your problem was. All of my ringtones and notification tones didn't stick when I plugged into the computer. That was never a problem on ICS for me.

chrometoaster

Reaction score
Hi there! You are not the only one who has had this problem. I've had this very same problem and it has been extremely frustrating. My husband and I purchased our phones in December, and he does not experience this issue. Took it back to the store twice for phone resets because I couldn't detect a definitive pattern for the ringtone resets. I've read in various forums this has been an issue, but most seem to resolve it with either a reset, a software update, or moving the ringtones to internal memory vs. the SD card. I tried everything that made sense to correct the problem (apart from phone update, as there hasn't been one available) and was never able to resolve the issue. Took the phone back in to the store this evening and they were very kind and swapped it out with a new phone, no charge (I think I almost fell over when they did this). I'm totally thinking I had a "lemon" phone. I'll try to touch base again if I continue to have the same issues with the new equipment.

Good luck!

PS- I was having this issue with all ringtones defaulting to the "default" tone: paid ringtones, self created ringtones, downloaded ringtones, or even assigned pre-loaded ringtones. None of them would hold.

Mdeva

Reaction score
Ringtones?
Moto uses custom ringtones?
Not any more.
Every time I set any custom ringtone, Big Brother GOOG deletes it.
Just one of Google-Moto's "enhancements".

I DETEST Androids (but I can't afford a smartphone).

spawnfreak

Reaction score
My wife and I have the same problem as chrometoaster. My ringtones are all in internal memory and they randomly switch to whatever the phone seems to want at that moment. Some are homemade, some Zedge. Doesn't seem to matter. My mother in law had the same problem until she removed Handcent but that didn't work for my wife.

TCNIII67

Reaction score

Thanks for the like! I did find information on another website and someone did reply with the same information! I was amazed with this forum and appreciate my replies! Good Luck to you. PS I also assign individual ringtones to different people! It's great fun!

TCNIII67

Reaction score
Ringtones?
Moto uses custom ringtones?
Not any more.
Every time I set any custom ringtone, Big Brother GOOG deletes it.
Just one of Google-Moto's "enhancements".

I DETEST Androids (but I can't afford a smartphone).

I'm with you. I would love an iPhone but can't afford one either!!!!

kooshie

Reaction score
I just noticed this happening the other day. I rarely plug my phone in to the computer and I did not realize this is what caused the loss if my ringtone settings, now after reading this I realize this is what caused my issue.

rjhewitt

Reaction score
This happens to me every other day and I do not connect to a laptop. I can't figure it out and I am pretty techie. Why does this happen? I have resorted only to setting a default ringtone for calls emails, and texts. I won't spend the time to set unique tones individually to my contacts. They do not hold. Very frustrating. I can barely hear the ringtone it changes to it is so soft. Even when the volume is turned all the way up. Help? Anyone? Thanks! :blink: