Ringtone Mute Issue (New Info)

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
About a week ago I started missing calls and found my ringtone was muted. Once I increased the volume everything was fine.....until I turn the phone off. On the next boot up the ringtone is muted again.

I haven't applied any updates recently.

I've looked through the settings, but haven't seen anything that jumps out at me.

Any ideas?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Do you find that it's muted when the phone is face (screen) down? Or just no matter what the position is after a reboot, it's off?

Samsung does have some "tools" that could be reacting to the device position and adjusting accordingly.

Also, check Do Not Disturb settings to make sure you haven't accidentally turned that on.

A little more info on the specifics might help us better troubleshoot your issue.

OP
R

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
Position of the phone doesn't make a difference....no matter what position, ringtone is muted after it boots.

I checked the Do Not Disturb and it's turned off.

I turn my phone off every night and plug the charger in. In the morning when I turn it on I normally lay it face up while it's booting. When the boot completes, the mute icon is showing on the notification line. I press the volume up button to get sound turned back on, the mute icon goes away and ringtones work until powered off that night and then the same issue when I power it up again the next morning.

OP
R

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
I just remembered I I had installed Messenger about a week ago.....hmmmm. I don't remember if the problem started immediately after that install or not so I thought I'd uninstall Messenger and test it.

I'm not sure what Messenger had to do with it, but after I uninstalled it the problem went away.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Weird. Google Messenger? Facebook Messenger?

Glad the problem has resolved, but I've got both of those installed on my phone and have on previous phones as well and never experienced anything like you're describing.

OP
R

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
I was a bit premature in my posting that the problem was solved.

I turned my phone on this morning and again......ringtone muted.

I'm at a loss

OP
R

Rangerhgm

Reaction score
I've found that when I boot the phone if I lay it face down, or face up, as soon as I turn on the power, you hear a beep after the boot and the volume is on. if I hold it in my hand or put it in my pocket while booting volume is muted after booting.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
In system settings, do you have anything turned on under your "motions & gestures" section?

S5 tap'n