1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ringtone issues

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by DMal9782, Jun 1, 2011.

1. DMal9782

DMal9782 New Member

I've had this issue essentially since GB on ALL ROMS, my custom ringtones very rarely play, usually the phone vibrates 2-3 times before ringing at all and then just default ringtone, and I was just wondering does everyone copy their ringtones to system? I've been running mine off the SD as long as I've had the phone, and am wondering if that could be causing the lag?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I actually used to have more of an issue on prior versions (2.1, 2.2), when general lag would cause ringtone playback from the SD to be delayed... sometimes to the point that I would miss calls.

I've never moved my tones to /system. Occasionally, I'll have an issue where a song will play instead of an alarm, or a default tone will play instead of the correct custom one for a random contact... but I have always experienced those issues on occasion.

I guess, number one, is to make sure you aren't trying to run too many services/apps with the limited memory we now have on GB. If you run Chevy's task killer manually, will it often report low memory was available?

One habit I've started is to use the task killer or reboot before I'm about to run something memory intensive, like maps/navigation or a game.
  3. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

That's weird, I didn't have that problem in GB and Froyo from the same directories on my SD card. Maybe the SD card needs to be cleaned and formatted?
  4. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Mine work all the time and fast.

Made the "media" folder on my sd card then on that made 3 more folders

notifications
    ringtones
    alarms

Put the file in the right folder and I'm good to go.
  5. metalspring

metalspring New Member

You could try moving them to /system/local/media/audio/ringtones or in the notifications folder
    (You can even just go ahead and delete all the stock ringtones and notifications but don't touch the ui folder, it'll make it easier to pick out your custom ringtones anyway)

6. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I always delete most of the stock ringtones/notifications. That's a routine I'm used to whenever a new ROM is installed. I have all mine on sdcard/media/audio/(ringtones/notifications/alarms).

I generally don't have any problems. Just an occasional incorrect tone. Who knows why that happens...
  7. DMal9782

DMal9782 New Member

I have a decent amount of free memory, usually 35MB or so, copied the ringtones to system and that didn't seem to change much. I'm really kinda baffled, no matter the kernel or ROM, I get my ringers working properly less than 50% of the time. Not that big of a deal really, I just use them to let me know if it's a work call or not so I can decide whether or not to run for the phone.
  8. metalspring

metalspring New Member

You could also try downloading some kind of app to pick ringtones...the system part that runs the ringtones could just be sluggish on gingerbread