Ringer to Silent Option Gone with 2.2 or BB.4??

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by BSmith, Aug 5, 2010.

1. BSmith

BSmith New Member

I noticed I no longer have the silent option when adjusting my ringer with BB.4. I have all the different volumes, vibrate, but no just plain silent.

Is this a BB thing or a 2.2 thing?

Sorry if it has been covered, I couldn't figure out the correct search term.
  2. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

Silent is still there, but with Froyo (Not a Bugless Beast issue), silent mode was removed from the ringer/volume rocker. Why? Who freaking knows. Stupid move on Google's part...

Anyways, you can still enable silent mode with a widget or on your lock screen with a swipe to the left. Not the best of solutions, but it's all we've got now. :(
  3. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

The silent option was not removed from the volume rocker. Google just separated the silent and the vibrate options in the phone settings. Which means you get to choose if you prefer a silent phone (vibrate is silent enough for most everyone I know) or a phone which completely lacks any form of notifications be it audible or by touch (what many of you call silent).

I for one am happy they finally changed it, and I hope they never change it back to the way it was (or at least make it an option to have it similar to how it is in Froyo).

Edit: If you use the "vibrate when not in silent" option, you can still use your volume rocker to choose silent.
  4. BSmith

BSmith New Member

I'm not seeing silent mode on the swipe screen, only vibrate. Looks like I'll have to download a widget.

The vibrate when not in silent loses my vibrate only. I like the silent option so I can just set my phone on the desk and it not make a racket when it vibrates sometimes. Also, just having the option to not be disturbed when it is in your pocket is nice too. My ADD won't let me focus until I see what the alert was for hahaha

Thanks for the help. Maybe we can work on this for BB.5... ;)
  5. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

Settings > sound > vibrate > never/only when not in silent

the lock screen now functions as silent when sound is off

Settings > sound > vibrate > always/only in silent mode

The lock screen now functions as vibrate when sound is off

It's pretty self explanatory...
  6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Terrible opinion. I want to be able to choose sounds, vibrate, then silent with the rocker. Stop praising loss of functionality.
  7. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

You mean change in functionality. Loss of functionality would be not being able to use silent, vibrate or neither.

You want to use the rocker for that so badly, then by all means please re-flash whichever Android 2.1 ROM you desire and have at it my friend. No one here is pushing you to flash an Android 2.2 ROM against your will.

You know, a little gratitude toward the Devs like Pete who take the time (from their personal lives no less) to make us these great ROMs for us to enjoy wouldn't kill you or anyone else that's complaining about the change in functionality (some of you are really spoiled beyond belief).

I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you; but do us all a favor and keep them to yourself if you're just going to flame me or anyone else based on our opinions.

Good day; enjoy Froyo, or not. I really couldn't care less.
  8. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

It is definitely a loss of functionality introduced with 2.2

But some people like when features are removed, others are intelligent and dislike when features are removed.

You must be the other guy that will take any disadvantage and spin it.
  9. BSmith

BSmith New Member

Geeez, didn't mean to spark such a heated debate.

This isn't BB fault, so I'm not sure why offense is being taken that way. I wasn't sure if it was a BB change, possibly overlook, or if it was a 2.2 change.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Yes, that is the most important point. This is not a fault with BB or Pete, not sure why it got thrown that way by ZB.
  11. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

I've never stated that it was BB or Pete; but you come here to Pete's forum to complain about a change in functionality (you did not lose the ability to use vibrate or silent, it is not a loss of functionality, period)? Seriously?

Talk about going into another man's home and slapping him in the face...

I've already posted how to get from ringer to silent, as the threads topic goes, whether or not you like it is your opinion (as you're entitled to one), but again I stress, do not use my opinion to flame/bash me (I'm entitled to my opinion whether you like it or not).

Anyways, I'm done with you kids. Complain, cry, whine; do whatever it is you want to do.
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

This is a place to discuss your beloved bugless beast, not a place to take pot shots at each other.

Please be respectful when replying. If you can't be, then don't bother to post.
  13. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

I understand. But it bugs me when people praise a decision to make a simple feature harder. Hence the loss of my functionality of being able to choose sound-vibrate-silent without having to waste cpu cycles by going into settings or having a widget taking up room on my homescreen.

Back on topic is there a reasoning for the loss of functionality?
  14. juancaca

juancaca New Member

ZeroBarrier is a douchebag. That's not my opinion. That's a fact.
  15. bill d.

bill d. New Member

still lost the ability to choose ring, vibrate, and silent via volume rocker. its annoying. is the function to choose one or the other still there, yes. is it unnecessary to have to go into settings and change your silent/vibrate options every time you want to, yes.

hopefully google fixes that. I won't hold my breath though.
  16. mike789

mike789 New Member

You have the option to silent the phone if you long hold the power button.
  17. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

Quoted for truth. ZeroBarrier, I don't understand why you're so happy to have silent mode off of the volume rocker along with vibrate. How was the inclusion of such a feature/ability such a pain in your ass? Really... I mean, did you twitch a lot and find yourself hitting the volume rocker one too many times and going to silent mode instead of vibrate on 2.1?

Honestly. Why is that such a big deal for you? (Serious question.)

Also, thanks mike789. I forgot about that option, since I always just use a widget to toggle it (already have switchpro enabled, so it's no big deal throwing the silent/vibrate/full volume toggle on as well). :)
  18. BSmith

BSmith New Member

It's still a loss because I don't have BOTH options without going through a headache to change it (your way). That's a loss of functionality to many people because we use BOTH silent and vibrate depending on the situation. Just because you don't give a crap about it doesn't make it no loss.

It was then asked to consider maybe adding it back in v.5. You know, because that is why they make ROMs, to do stuff the OS doesn't do on its own. Or should we just have BB not change anything or have any other features?

Now that I know it's under the power button, I'm content with that. But it wasn't you that brought that up. Thank you Mike789. As such, it's not a loss of functionality anymore. It was under your solution.

Edit:
    Now where is the block user function on the forum? That's another function I enjoy using. ;)
  19. wrightperspective

wrightperspective New Member

GREAT point! That's almost as easy as the rocker.

What a great first post!
  20. iissmart

iissmart New Member

A volume control app might help, I'm looking at a couple right now to see if they bring back the settings.

I always toggle from "Silent" (no sound, no vibrate) and "Vibrate Only" (no sound, vibrate on) throughout my day (especially at work). Rarely do I have sound enabled on my phone (navigation, youtube, etc).
Search tags for this page

my droid vibrate option is not there

what happened to silence all option andriod phone?