RIM May be Linked to the 'Wake Up' Anti-Apple Campaign

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wake-Up-RIM.jpg

And the plot thickens... Apparently there is a new twist in the entertaining story about the anti-Apple flash-mob/protestors ad campaign called "Wake Up" that we shared with you last week. At first, many publications "assumed" the ad campaing was from Samsung. There were a number of different reasons why this made sense, but as we later reported, it turned out that Samsung likely didn't having anything to do with it. They came forward on Friday and adamantly denied having sponsored it in any way.

Since then, some new details have emerged from some sleuthing. Here is a quote with the new "plot twist":

The Apple Store demonstration was linked with a “Wake Up Australia” website running a countdown; that countdown expires several days after Samsung is expected to unveil its new flagship. However, buried in the source code is a DoubleClick Floodlight Tag ID, 2215527, which a little Googling turns up as also used by RIM’s Australian BlackBerry site.

wake-up-doubleclick.jpg

The ID apparently works as a unique identifier for DoubleClick users, and would seemingly imply that RIM had some involvement in the “Wake Up” countdown site. It was also spotted by a user at the Apple Insider forums.

If this turns out to be accurate, then it would easily qualify as another case of "the pot calling the kettle black." Although one could easily argue there are consumers out there who need to "Wake Up" and realize there are great alternatives to iOS, RIM really isn't the one who should be pointing that finger. With the distance they have fallen over the past year and a half (or more), they are the ones who need to wake up their upper management before the ship sinks completely. Fancy advertising campaigns won't do that.

Source: SlashGear

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
ZzZzzzz.... whhhaaa.... Okay im up. *looks around" "Still no blackberry 10 devices.... why did you wake me up??" *looks at android phone* "Suddenly it all makes sense, Samsung paid blackberry to pay the protesters to say makeup to a random apple store"

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wait...RIM had enough money to organize that display?!

Oh yeah. Internationally, RIM is freaking huge.

My friend went back to visit Indonesia, and she said she found a slew of Blackberry stores.

Yeah, stores that sell nothing but Blackberry stuff.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Blackberry is not dead, but they certainly have been handed their hat here in the states. Abroad however, it's a different story. Rim still has a good following.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
RIM Blackberry devices are horrible. I work for Sprint and have to activate these retarded phones. It takes the phone 10 minutes to reboot on a good day! :blink: And manually programming isn't an option so you have to update the profile which 9 out of 10 times fails! :mad: RIM should change their name to RIP and should just curl up and die.

*sorry, had a long and trying day at work* :icon_ devil:

45root

Reaction score
RIM Blackberry devices are horrible. I work for Sprint and have to activate these retarded phones. It takes the phone 10 minutes to reboot on a good day! :blink: And manually programming isn't an option so you have to update the profile which 9 out of 10 times fails! :mad: RIM should change their name to RIP and should just curl up and die.

*sorry, had a long and trying day at work* :icon_ devil:
I consider sprint horrible.. ijs...