Rig Last.fm, Pandora, Slacker etc. to play through usb?

phylum sinter

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got a newer car with usb input on the stereo, and i was wondering if anyone knows how to get any streaming content from the droid to play through the usb jack... sounds kinda tricky but i bet it could work somehow.

AquaDan88

Reaction score
I don't believe streaming through USB is possible on the Droid. Your best option is to either go through the 3.5mm jack or via bluetooth.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
If your device has music on the sdcard

thats about all u can use the usb for. And for it to work right most times you need automount, It will think your car radio is a pc but whatever it does work. I made it work for friend in his newer car. He then added a decent bluetooth addon to his car's antenna input. not the cheaper versins that use wireless from cigarette lightere to fm station of your choice :(
This one does use an fm station of your choice but being that its direct on your antenna input you dont have to worry about it interfearing with bluetooth signal causing hickup's I like to call them in playback.

Do a search for fm modulator's

hope this helps I too use Pandora all the time and love being to hop in friends vehicles [since I cant drive being legally blind dont have my own car] and just have it feed to there stereo. I use to install Systems for all the younger kids around so I was really into it for while thats how I learned not to mess with the cheaper model editions, dont get me wrong a few of the cheaper one's will get the job done. but i f you like most people play your music loud your going to kill your speakers from added noise picked up :(

For those with amplifiers it can be even worse on your speakers no matter how good/clean you amp is if you send it a distorted signal it will then send that dirty signal amplified to your speakers :(

OP
P

phylum sinter

Reaction score
Thanks for the solution, MAD450r - i was thinking about this all day today and came up with a similar solution.

if there are any dev's reading this thread, this is one feature request i would absolutely love included in the next version of your work [or maybe even as an app? but i imagine it might have to go deeper into the OS] - streaming output to usb!

Also: more EQ!

zasran

Reaction score
It's not likely to work no matter what you do on Droid, the car stereo most likely only supports USB mass storage devices. Your best bet is bluetooth, lot of new stereos have it as an add-on option...

ero

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of those headphone out to cassette adapters?

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

karltone

Reaction score
Try reformatting your usb stick to FAT32 plug it straight into your stereo. You can play music that way. Use it in my own car, bought a cheap 4 gig usb stick and boom hours of music. You can even navigate folders (should be able to at least) depending on your head unit. Also make sure the audio files are mp3s as i believe those are the files your head is going to be able to read.

karltone

Reaction score
but ya.... if you could stream through the usb port, that would be freakin awesome....